Hacking Homebrew Misc Saves lost after removing CFW

UniKlixX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
So yesterday I was removing CFW from a New 2DS XL and reverting it to stock by using the 3DS Hacks Guide (great and much appreciated guide btw, as always). Everything went without issues and the unit is now a normal, stock device.

However, I was wondering how all save data was lost somewhere in the process even though the "Nintendo 3DS" folder was left untouched on the DS card :unsure: How is that possible when it should be in that folder as far as I know? The save data from installed titles from the eShop etc. All gone!

These are the folders left on the SD after removing CFW:
"Nintendo 3DS" and "DCIM", the photo folder.

Does anyone know why the saves were lost and where that type of save files are located on the SD? I see that there are indeed save data present. But are these with different "title IDs" and therefore obsolete?

Skærmbillede 2022-03-07 kl. 13.57.00.png

Thanks in advance :)

UniKlixX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Factory reset remove save from the system.
Ah now I think of it I should have known that lol. So I guess those title ID folders represent my reinstalled apps. Thanks for the reply btw.

I am just happy that nearly all of my titles are physical with saves on the cartridges. So no problem in fact. I lost my Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter Generations save (the latter of which I just started on). So no issue. I was just curious because I thought that the Nintendo 3DS folder was left untouched but ofc factory reset/formatting removes the saves there :rofl:

Now I know that for some other time when I possibly have more important saves on that unit.

Thanks again :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the saves are on the sd card still, just not accessible, you might be able to recover them with the movable.sed. afaik, the movable.sed changes when you factory reset, but only marginally, so I think you can bruteforce the new one or something, but I've never tried doing that.

Reactions: UniKlixX

UniKlixX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
if the saves are on the sd card still, just not accessible, you might be able to recover them with the movable.sed. afaik, the movable.sed changes when you factory reset, but only marginally, so I think you can bruteforce the new one or something, but I've never tried doing that.
Thanks for your advice. But doesn't factory reset delete the old saves? I am not sure they are there anymore :mellow: I believe those folders represent the apps installed now don't you think? When I look inside those numbered folders inside 00040000 there are indeed 000000001.sav files but they have been edited the last time yesterday which tells me they were created for the newly installed games/apps after I reinstalled the system and installed them again:mellow: Don't you believe that as well?

UniKlixX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
that, I'm not sure. I think saves go in save folders within each title id. iirc, it's set with high id/low id/save.
Right, I made a test and uninstalled Mario Kart 7 and Ghost n' Goblins. That caused two folders to be removed (check the attached screenshot) which means that those saves now present are indeed from the reinstalled games and the old ones are lost. :mellow: Nothing to do about it then. But hey, it's not really a problem playing through MK7 once again. Now I have reason at least:D

Skærmbillede 2022-03-07 kl. 14.55.26.png

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya