Gaming Safest Place to Buy PC Game Keys

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides Steam, what is the safest place to buy PC game keys? In my journey to find a cheap copy of Sonic All-stars Racing Transformed for Steam, I've ran into G2A and Kinguin. Are these sites safe? Has anyone purchased keys from sites like these. I've used Green Man Gaming once but the process was convoluted.

Last edited by LightyKD,

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
G2A and Kinguin don't require any sort of verification that the keys being resold are actually legitimately purchased; additionally, at least G2A requires using their own payment services or paying the transaction fees that they're supposed to be covering, as well as an extra fee up front to replace a sent key if it was invalid/stolen/etc.

I'd only trust authorized dealers - Bundle Stars, Humble Store, Amazon, etc. I believe GMG is also an 'official' retailer now.

Personally I've never had G2A keys revoked, and stuff from their own G2A Deal bundles are usually legitimately sourced. It's still not worth the extra hassle just to save a few bucks, especially when there's no guarantee they'll stay working.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
G2A is much like any other "personal reseller" site, you should only buy from users that have a lot of good reviews. Generally they're ok, but there are also a lot of scammers on there, so do a bit of research into the person you're buying from. G2A also has some "protection" fees that usually add a fair amount to the total cost.

For example, the lowest, safest price for Sonic Racing Transformed on G2A is ~$8...plus a $3 "G2A Shield" fee. Which makes the game more expensive then just buying it on Steam for $10. While the whole "Shield" fee is optional, it's usually recommended if you're going to buy from anyone on G2A to avoid being scammed.

I would generally follow FireEmblemGuy's advice; stick with official resellers cuz you never know when your key could get revoked or simply won't come at all. While it's not happened to myself either, I have had friends who buy all their games from G2A have like 5-6 of them revoked after a few weeks.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just look for the cheapest price on http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/ and buy from whatever store uses paypal so that I can get my money back if I'm scammed. So far though I have never been scammed and I have bought around 50 games from the site.
That's what I do as well although I tend to prefer G2A if it's one of the cheapest on the list as I've never had a problem with the keys I got from there. Once a key didn't come but I contacted G2A and they immediately refunded me. Can't really complain. I know the legality of the keys is dubious with those kind of sites but sometimes I'm not willing to pay full price and I don't like using cracks, and often they're online games where cracks aren't really an option anyway. And if G2A is half the price I'm obviously going to go with that.
I usually buy my games on Humble Bundle or Steam though. Only use G2A or allkeyshop if I'm not interested enough to pay full price.
G2A is a great place i got a lot of games for really cheap always check for people with a lot of positive comeback and a lot of sales!

edit: example if you see a guy with 100% positive but with like 3- 6 sold game that a no-no.

https://www.g2a.com/
I've never really bothered to look at feedback on there, I just pick the cheapest price and haven't gotten scammed yet in the 5 or 6 times I've used it.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Grey market resellers like G2A can be selling stolen keys that get charged back, which either the publisher has to pay or the key gets canceled.
I use it for older games that had a big discount at some point, and it's also great for grabbing one or two keys from bundles. Never had any issue with this usage, and it would be very unlikely and easily written off if I was scammed.
Frankly, I need to, since I have to pay eurozone prices in a poor country.

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I usually just use https://isthereanydeal.com/ to check which storefront happens to have the lowest price at the time; it also shows you the lowest price of all time for each of them. It's a pretty helpful site, but do keep in mind that a couple of other available storefronts might not show up in the price comparison listings.

Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cd keys and g2a are the best ones imo. Just make sure you buy the game in the right region. Also try to stick to the sellers who have sold many keys before

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get lots of keys from humble bundle. Indie gala has crypto currency as optional purchases, fan gamer. Greenman gaming isn't bad either. I say be careful with G2A, but I never had a problem with that place. :ninja:

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
People, you realize this is a 2 year old thread that got necroed, right?:/

On topic, I just get most of my stuff from Fanatical since it's pretty much straight from the publisher and has sales/cheap bundles all the time! HumbleBundle is reliable as well, although not as many cheap quality stuff as it used to have back in the day... IndieGala is reliable since it was mentioned and is a nice place to find very niche/unknown indies.

As for G2A, the problem isn't keys not being legit, it's that it has been proven to be one of the biggest money laundering websites around where people sell keys purchased using stolen credit cards. Basically they steal credit card info or buy it in dark web, they buy a game from a keystore, then sell it for a bit less on G2A, thus laundering the money without it being traceable. Also things like site security being among many other issues are just a few reasons to avoid that place... Better to pay a tiny bit extra than to help out money laundering honestly, because if it keeps going on it will spread in more stores as well!

Last edited by ThoD,
Reactions: KyleHyde

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0