Canada
145949-valve_teaser_500.jpg

150310-valvemac-lg.jpg

154425-valve_3_500.jpg

154550-valve_4_300.jpg

154953-valve_5_500.jpg

204931-valve_6.jpg
QUOTE said:
Last week, Valve Software generated some excitement among gaming fans who noticed Mac OS X menu components and other items in the most recent release of the company's Steam distribution platform for the PC. Combined with reports of Valve recruiting Mac engineers, the evidence suggested that Valve may be planning to make a move into the Mac platform.

MacRumors today received a teaser image from Valve appearing to show Gordon Freeman, protagonist of Valve's Half-Life video game series, with an Apple logo on his chest. The image was accompanied with the following explanation: "In anticipation of an upcoming announcement from Valve."

Valve has not offered any additional information on what we can expect from them or when more news might be available beyond "soon".
Source

AWESOME!!
I can finally Play Most of my games again!

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Steam may be coming to Mac and Valve's titles may become available for Macs, but most of the games on Steam will still not work on Macs due to the simple fact that they're programmed for Windows and would require a rewrite to work properly on Macs.

And nothing has been confirmed, so I changed the title slightly.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
Steam may be coming to Mac and Valve's titles may become available for Macs, but most of the games on Steam will still not work on Macs due to the simple fact that they're programmed for Windows and would require a rewrite to work properly on Macs.

And nothing has been confirmed, so I changed the title slightly.
this

all value games are programmed in C++ (you know the MS programming language)
and probably a very large amount of other games on steam

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YESSS, I'm so excited about this! As soon as this hits I'm deleting my Bootcamp partition, I'll have no reason to keep Windows then.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My big question is, supposing the VALVe stuff comes out for Mac, do we need to re-purchase the games? I'd love to get rid of Bootcamp on my Macbook, as I only have it really for Steam.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
That's cool for Mac users but doesn't mean squat if there aren't many games. Unless there are some serious ports (that don't duck), all this means is the mac user can purchase games for their PC partitions.

With this Steam port, I bet they will just add already ported games, for the same outrageous prices.

PC gaming ftw

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Joe88 said:
all value games are programmed in C++ (you know the MS programming language)
uhhh.. what? o.o
that has nothing to do with anything

the reason that they depend on windows is their use of directX
if they were to switch to opengl it would make porting it easier but don't take my word for it, i'm still trying to make my walking goku demo use opengl instead of directx9
tongue.gif
(that means i'm noob)

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
triassic911 said:
I don't think this will be a good idea. As others have said, the majority of games will not even work on a mac.
So... it's not a good idea to bring games to the mac... because they don't work on the mac.... right.

If Steam comes to the Mac, it's coming with some games that DO work on the mac or have been made to work on it. What games? Who knows. Could just be a platform for publishers that already provide mac versions but it's a step in the right direction if they want to bring gaming to OS X.

Here's hoping they bring a few surprises with it though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==