Hardware [Rumor] 3DS Lite is in the works

masterchan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A Japanese magazine called Nikkei Trendy reports that a thinner 3DS Lite is in the works, and the new 3DS will have a better battery life and perhaps a performance boost in some operational aspects such as speeding up menu transitions.

279wv.jpg

So that could change the real question about the 3DS Lite from "if" into "when", do you think the new 3DS Lite will have a built in second circle pad? and maybe a better screen?
We all have to wait and see, and by the way, the 3DS main competitor (aka PSVita) isn't selling well in Japan, that could delay the release of another 3DS a bit as the current model is doing pretty well worldwide.

Source : http://gematsu.com/2012/01/rumor-monster-hunter-for-ps-vita-due-this-year-3ds-lite-in-development

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A 3DS Lite release so soon after the normal 3DS would damage part of the sales, I'm pretty sure they'd rather have a stable market for the 3DS first, before releasing any revisions on the system. =O
Maybe in late 2012, but not earlier than that, imho.

Reactions: 2 people

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ya know... i honestly didnt want a revision so close to this thing just being out.. but after getting it at launch and watching everyon else get amazing crazy deals on it and talk shit to those who bought it at launch, it would be really humorous to see the buzz on here when everyone who got it at 170.00 goes "oh snap, wtf ninty, why you screw me like that", and someone from here goes " should have done your research newb"

i would get it though if it came out... but only if i can store my account and trade my current 3ds in with system wiped then buy new one and redownload all my shit from my Account... this is how it should be done, not some gay ass system transfer, but it wont so i wont get it at launch , i will most likely wait until the price drops because it isnt selling as well just like the first one.

end rant

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said in the USN post, Nintendo is always working on things. Doesn't mean it will come out anytime soon.

EDIT It should be noted that other sources translate this article as "...may be in development", which is a lot different then saying its coming out.

Reactions: 1 person

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't the original DS Lite released about a year after the Japanese release?

DS Nov 21st, 2004
DSL March 2nd, 2006

1 year and 3.5 months, yes.

EDIT It should be noted of course, that this means nothing in relation to the 3DS. With how well it's selling right now, it would be really silly to come out with a new model right now. I could see late 2012 if Wii You wasn't going to be the focus then, so I wouldn't think before 2013.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Think about it guys, even it it does get announced at E3 THIS year it still won't be out for quite a while. I predict the next 3DS won't actually BE RELEASED until November-time 2013.

AndroidDem0man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how the fuck is the ps vita not selling well, even if a shitton of people think its bad, i'm still going to get it, Also i agree with Wizer. It can't be released anytime this year even if it Was in the works.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how the fuck is the ps vita not selling well, even if a shitton of people think its bad, i'm still going to get it
OoT much?

With Nintendo working on the Wii You, and considering the 3DS's amazing sales, I don't think they'll be working on it anytime soon.

emilio666

Trophies
XP
Country
http://ds.about.com/...do-3ds-Lite.htm

Sugino:When you changed your approach and got rid of all gaps, Nintendo DS Lite was born. I think that experience can be seen in Nintendo 3DS.​

Iwata: The first thing (Nobuo) Nagai-san, who’s in charge at the Uji plant, said to me when he looked over the designs for Nintendo 3DS before mass production began was "This time it’s fully packed right from the start."​

Sugino:Oh, really? (laughs) But he was right. That’s why we don’t have any short-term plans for creating a more compact version of Nintendo 3DS like we did with Nintendo DS Lite. (laughs)​

Iwata:Yeah. (laughs) When making Nintendo 3DS, we used all our tricks for Nintendo DS Lite—and more—for cutting down on size right from the start.​

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to above and that is why i don't see a "Lite" 3ds coming any time soon. I mean look at it... it's already about the same size of the DS lite. The only thing in my opinion they can do, is make it lighter due to components going more advance.

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo need only fix two things with the current 3DS, in my opinion. The borders on the bottom screen, so they don't mark/scratch the top screen when the system's closed, and the hinges.

I treat mine really well, and the hinges feel pretty flimsy.

Other than those small niggles (I got the Hori screen protectors on, so I shouldn't have any scratches from the bottom screen issue) the system is really fine as it is, so I can see why Nintendo don't have any short term plans for a '3DS Lite/Slim/whatever'.

Which is fine by me, cos I don't want to have to get rid of my awesome flame red!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1