ROM Hack RPG Maker DS and Kaiju Busters Powered Translation Topic!

Naito-Tanuki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Introductions
Don't you get annoyed by the fact, no one has made the slightest effort of even thinking to translate your favourite games? When Nintendo can't be bothered to localize them for western players... So, I am taking my time to try and translate the titled games because they are great to play and have fun with.

Why RPG Maker DS?
If you are familiar with the PC Versions (2000, 2k3, XP and VX), then it's just enjoyable to have the DS version to play on the go. But a bit boring, when the game is in another language and you really can't progress much without the need for English integrated in the game.

Why Kaiju Busters Powered?
I just love watching the old Gojira movies (I have all 28 on DVD!
ohmy.gif
), so I decided to have a go and translate this aswell. The Godzilla Unleashed DS Game was terrible in my opinion.

Who's helping out?

No one. I kinda like the idea of doing it by myself because that way, I am sorta learning, but I will ask for help when I needed.

Any Progress so far?

RPG Maker DS - Changed the DS Info into English from Japanese.
wink2.gif
Not much.
Kaiju Busters Powered - Changed DS Info into English from Japanese and slowly editing Title Screen.

PS. I suck at CrystalTile 2.

Shiro09

AAI2 Localisation Team
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good Luck!
smileipb2.png
You'll need it.. jk. But seriously Good luck to your translations.
EDIT: Just opened up RPG Maker DS and there seems to be plenty of folder/sub folders so this will probably take a while.

PS: CT2 is very handy.

Naito-Tanuki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using Tahaxan now, CrystalTile 2 is just too challenging.
trialncgr64by256.png
The middle piece says 'Trial, but I wonder what the rest is, care for someone to help?

link491

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you need help, i am pretty farmiliar with rpg maker ds and if you send me screens, ill gladly translate them ( i cant ds rom hack) pm me if your interested!
smile.gif

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not to shit on parades here, but I have to say for a single person to take on two projects this big at once is pretty....ambitious. Especially if you're just starting out with romhacking!

Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck - you're like, fighting dinosaurs here :| I don't mind offering a little help - by that I don't mean writing custom tools for you or anything, but if you need me to check out how a file's encrypted or methods of going about editing things, I'll take a look and make some suggestions as to how to tackle it.

You probably had problems with CrystalTile because the image files in question use some sort of data compression. There's a tool called "LZSS Data/Huffman Compression" within CT2 I believe in one of the Alt menus somewhere that deal with the LZ77 image compression found in most DS games. However you'll need to have extracted those files first in order to best work with them.

SHIFT-JIS won't always work with the text data though - I've found Unicode to be pretty prevalent as well.

also whoa, PG I didn't know a newer version of CT2 existed; I'm gonna have to pick that up to see what they've changed. I remember there was one version, locked so it wasn't fully usable and this one apparently is ~unlocked~ :V

so uhm, a thank you from me as well.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SaranghaePokemon said:

Please note that not all files will be LZ compressed. At times they may be different, in which you have to find out how to view it and which part has the palette or if the palette is even in that file.

If I were you, I'd look up other topics involving the two games you want to translate to see what they've found out and/or why they stopped. Maybe they ran into a hacking snag. If you're just starting romhacking, you may want to drop the most difficult game or have the thread locked and unlock it once you have enough hacking/translating done to actually announce anything. If you don't know Japanese or have a Japanese translator helping, you may just want to get the hacking out of the way and/or wait until you do have one so you're not machine translating, which turns out to be... bad.

Regardless, good luck. For two projects, you'll need it, especially for RPG Maker.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SaranghaePokemon said:
Anyway what is the best settings for this?!
EDIT:I heard that Normatt did a small translation and somehow released his works somewhere....

Depends on the game. It's best if you find settings suits each file. You can dump the text with CT2, but you'll have to insert it via hex editor, which is by hex codes and even then you have to make sure the text fits and you didn't mess anything up.

GBAtemp has a search feature that you can use or you can search via google and just add "gbatemp" at the end so only searches within gbatemp will popup.
You may want to learn more about romhacking, though. That's my advice, take it or not, it's up to you. I'm suggesting what will help you the most, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1