Gaming Rodea the Sky Soldier Wii U thread

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Plus if it gets a physical release it probably won't be on print for too long because outside this community I doubt many others are even aware of its existence.
Yeah, it seems only hardcore fans who have been following the development since its initial announcement in 2011 are aware that the game still exists in the first place. Most probably have written it off as vaporware at some point and moved on.
I'm still bummed that Europe didn't receive a physical release of NES Remix for Wii U. :(
Tell me about it! It's kind of insulting that both Japan and US received a physical release, but we're kept in the cold. Nintendo themselves said that eShop is a bigger thing in US than it is in Europe, so whoever decided we shouldn't get NES Remix Pack physically in Europe is clueless.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
More details on Rodea the Sky Soldier revealed in Japanese Nintendo Direct. This link takes you to the exact point at 18:28 when Iwata starts discussing the game.

I updated the main post with the video, too.

SlappyTheDummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm a bit hyped about this game. I really hope this game come in Europe. I'm confident that rodea the sky soldier is a great game , I mean there's Yuji Naka and Prope behind this.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
This game certainly looks to be one of the most interesting releases for Wii U. I just hope it succeeds enough in Japan to warrant a release in the West. At least we know Rising Star Games and XSEED are following the news, so we just need to hope for good sales and Rodea will be here in no time.

As for the game itself, I'm a little concerned how different the gameplay is between the Wii U and Wii versions. Yuji Naka himself said the original Wii version is the proper version, so I'm hoping his vision didn't change too much for the Wii U. It's almost certain the 1st print edition isn't coming to the West, which is the only way to get the original Wii release as well. Sort of interesting that it'll be the last Wii game in Japan. The development has taken such a long time, I really wonder what Yuji Naka and his team have accomplished!

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
What differs the Wii versions from the U to make it the 'proper' version? I'd rather own it and play it in HD than an SD version.

I'd hope that they could make UK prints for the U version so I'd have it with the green stripe but I can't be asking for too much as it's not even confirmed if it's actually coming.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
What differs the Wii versions from the U to make it the 'proper' version? I'd rather own it and play it in HD than an SD version.
Yuji Naka himself has commented that the Wii version was envisioned with the Wiimote in mind and hence, the gameplay greatly relied on the Wiimote as it was designed for the Wii in the first place. With the Wii U version the Wii U GamePad introduces the problem that it can't function the same way as the Wiimote for motion controls and needs to be supported at some level, so the game was redesigned from the ground up to work with the Wii U GamePad and therefore the gameplay elements and mechanics differ.

I understand that some of the story elements have also changed, so they are indeed two different games and this is reflected in the covert art and name (the Wii version is still called Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea, while the Wii U version is called Rodea the Sky Soldier in Japan). From the trailers you shouldn't expect stunning graphics, as Rodea the Sky Soldier reuses a lot of the elements from the Wii version and is only upscaled to fit 1080p. So this isn't even about HD vs. SD. The games are different due to the Wii U GamePad, in this case limiting the developer from fully creating the game as he envisioned.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Well, I'm no fan of the Wiimote nor the GamePad so hopefully the Wii U Pro Controller is fully compatible for 1 Player (Story Mode).

The moment it goes up on Amazon UK I'll probably pre-order it (I'm willing to pay £32 as it's the standard price for Wii U games unless it's a Special/Limited Edition).

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well, I'm no fan of the Wiimote nor the GamePad so hopefully the Wii U Pro Controller is fully compatible for 1 Player (Story Mode).
In that case forget about the game.
  • When asked about a Wii U version, Yuji Naka said: "Rodea was made specifically for the Wii so players could enjoy it by flicking the remote. If we tried to incorporate those controls into the large Wii U controller it wouldn’t be the same. I would really like for people to play and enjoy it on the Wii as I had originally intended."
Wait until the reviews kick in. This was a game heavily based on MotionPlus and I believe if it was released according to its original schedule, it would probably stand as the best implementation of MotionPlus along with Skyward Sword. Though it should be said that these two games are very different, so Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea may well have been the new benchmark for motion gaming. I know I'm praising something that was until a few years ago still considered vaporware, though it is Yuji Naka behind the game, who is well-known for his NiGHTS series (as well as Sonic).

I don't know how this new Wii U version will play, but I believe it'll be heavily relying on the Wii U GamePad. The game has also been in development for 3DS and it is believed resources were shifted from the 3DS team to make the Wii U version after the Wii version was originally shelved and unreleased. I'm sure it'll take advantage of the touch screen, though whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know. Either way, don't expect a game that will work with the Wii U Pro Controller. The philosophy behind it and where the idea came from is far from a traditional controller setup.

Now I understand all the above is mostly speculation on my part, but I have closely followed the development of this game as should be evident by the first post in this thread. I'm still very excited for this game and hope it'll see the light of day in the West soon, but the realist inside of me says the Wii U version will be half-baked and rushed and the original Wii version, which heavily uses the Wiimote, will stand as the best and proper version of the game. That's just my gut feeling.

SlappyTheDummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
but Wii U has remote compatibility itself , I don't understand why we can't use the same control scheme on both Wii and Wii U console as he originally intended. Maybe he does not supported wii mote with Wii U version of the game ?

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
but Wii U has remote compatibility itself , I don't understand why we can't use the same control scheme on both Wii and Wii U console as he originally intended. Maybe he does not supported wii mote with Wii U version of the game ?

The problem is that the Wii U only comes with the Wii U GamePad bundled and so making a game that requires a Wiimote specfically would require an additional purchase, which would affect the sales of the game. In addition there's the expectation of Wii U games that they support the standard controller, which in this case is the Wii U GamePad.

There are rare exceptions, notably Wii Sports Club, but the norm is for Wii U games to support the Wii U GamePad. And because the Wii U GamePad is so different from a Wiimote, a game needs to take that into account on every level from the philosophies to the gameplay elements. I don't know if there's some sort of requirement on Nintendo's side for every Wii U game to support the Wii U GamePad, though I understand the decision Prope took to redesign the game from the ground up to suit the Wii U.

Either way, only time will tell when the game releases and we finally get to see it whether it's a good game or not—Wii U GamePad or Wiimote aside. I just find it disheartening to read that the Wii U GamePad is the reason a developer felt he needed to completely redesign a game.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Well, I'll still take it then.

Just as long as it's a GamePad-controller game I'm okay with it but GamePad-games really do take the piss out of being played on an HD console because it forces the player to look down to a crappy 480p screen.

SlappyTheDummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The problem is that the Wii U only comes with the Wii U GamePad bundled and so making a game that requires a Wiimote specfically would require an additional purchase, which would affect the sales of the game. In addition there's the expectation of Wii U games that they support the standard controller, which in this case is the Wii U GamePad.

There are rare exceptions, notably Wii Sports Club, but the norm is for Wii U games to support the Wii U GamePad. And because the Wii U GamePad is so different from a Wiimote, a game needs to take that into account on every level from the philosophies to the gameplay elements. I don't know if there's some sort of requirement on Nintendo's side for every Wii U game to support the Wii U GamePad, though I understand the decision Prope took to redesign the game from the ground up to suit the Wii U.

Either way, only time will tell when the game releases and we finally get to see it whether it's a good game or not—Wii U GamePad or Wiimote aside. I just find it disheartening to read that the Wii U GamePad is the reason a developer felt he needed to completely redesign a game.

I understand the reason of Prope but viewing the sales of Wii and wii mote in the past generation I don't think it can affect badly game sales and also if someone doesn't have a wiimote can also use the gamepad. I think that it isn't so difficult include the use of the wii mote (maybe + nunchuck ) along with gamepad control schemes.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I understand the reason of Prope but viewing the sales of Wii and wii mote in the past generation I don't think it can affect badly game sales and also if someone doesn't have a wiimote can also use the gamepad. I think that it isn't so difficult include the use of the wii mote (maybe + nunchuck ) along with gamepad control schemes.
You're not the developer, you're viewing this from the point of view of what's convenient to you. The facts are as follows: Prope redesigned the game for the Wii U because of the Wii U GamePad and Yuji Naka himself has said the Wii version of the game is the proper version. There's nothing you or I can do about that. I'm sure the reasons given are good enough: if Yuji Naka doesn't agree with the Wii U GamePad being good for motion control similar to the Wiimote, then it isn't good.

You're also forgetting that despite Wii's success, the Wii U has sold very poorly. How many Wii U owners used to have a Wii? I'm sure that the majority of the Wii owners (aka "casuals") pretty much have abandoned any and all Nintendo platforms. And if someone endured the Wii during the 7th generation, they're likely buying a PS4 or Xbox One today. I'm positive that if Prope has decided, from a sales perspective, that making the game require an additional purchase (a Wiimote) isn't worth it, then they have the statistics and math to prove it isn't worth it. Nobody cares if you or I have a Wiimote, the other 99,998 who they want to sell the game to probably don't.

SlappyTheDummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You're not the developer, you're viewing this from the point of view of what's convenient to you. The facts are as follows: Prope redesigned the game for the Wii U because of the Wii U GamePad and Yuji Naka himself has said the Wii version of the game is the proper version. There's nothing you or I can do about that. I'm sure the reasons given are good enough: if Yuji Naka doesn't agree with the Wii U GamePad being good for motion control similar to the Wiimote, then it isn't good.

You're also forgetting that despite Wii's success, the Wii U has sold very poorly. How many Wii U owners used to have a Wii? I'm sure that the majority of the Wii owners (aka "casuals") pretty much have abandoned any and all Nintendo platforms. And if someone endured the Wii during the 7th generation, they're likely buying a PS4 or Xbox One today. I'm positive that if Prope has decided, from a sales perspective, that making the game require an additional purchase (a Wiimote) isn't worth it, then they have the statistics and math to prove it isn't worth it. Nobody cares if you or I have a Wiimote, the other 99,998 who they want to sell the game to probably don't.

Of course I'm not the developer this doesn't mean I must agree with decisions made by Yuji Naka. I'm not trying to change the facts but only to understand it and I think it is a bad decision to not include a Wii mote scheme along with the Wii U gamepad.

From a sales perspective the problem is not the require of additional purchase of a Wii mote but the lack of marketing for this game from 2011 to now. If nowdays rodea the sky soldier is considered a vaporwave it is only for bad marketing decisions.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Of course I'm not the developer this doesn't mean I must agree with decisions made by Yuji Naka. I'm not trying to change the facts but only to understand it and I think it is a bad decision to not include a Wii mote scheme along with the Wii U gamepad.
I don't think a Wii game in the simplest terms (i.e. requiring a Wiimote) is viable in 2015. I'm not trying to negate your point of view.
From a sales perspective the problem is not the require of additional purchase of a Wii mote but the lack of marketing for this game from 2011 to now. If nowdays rodea the sky soldier is considered a vaporwave it is only for bad marketing decisions.
You know so little about this game if you think the problem is lack of marketing. The publisher outright refused to release this game in 2011 when it would have been appropriate to do so for a Wii game at the time. From that point onwards Prope had to rework everything and this brings us to 2015 when the game is finally coming around as a Wii U title. Mind you, since it's being only released in Japan currently, you may not have seen / experienced any marketing, but it's there. Yuji Naka with Kadokawa Games has already announced a Rodea the Sky Soldier Experience Tour in Japan last month and the game was showcased in the Japanese Nintendo Direct this month. This is not a blockbuster or AAA game, so the amount of marketing they're doing is already very good. You don't know about this game because there is no one releasing it in the West at this point in time.

Just check the first post in this thread. This game has struggled to make an appearance due to differences in management at Kadokawa Games, the publisher, and Prope, the developer. There is a lot of info about what happened in 2011 and before. I have made a nice timeline for you to read on the first page of this thread including a source for every bullet point. Rodea the Sky Soldier has been mentioned in local Japanese gaming magazines like Famitsu and is one of the more talked about indie releases in Japan at the moment. You read that right, this is an indie game. If you're expecting a release from an established developer you're wrong. Prope is an indie studio that has mainly focused on mobile games until recently. Lack of marketing is the last problem they need to care about.

SlappyTheDummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think a Wii game in the simplest terms (i.e. requiring a Wiimote) is viable in 2015. I'm not trying to negate your point of view.
You know so little about this game if you think the problem is lack of marketing. The publisher outright refused to release this game in 2011 when it would have been appropriate to do so for a Wii game at the time. From that point onwards Prope had to rework everything and this brings us to 2015 when the game is finally coming around as a Wii U title. Mind you, since it's being only released in Japan currently, you may not have seen / experienced any marketing, but it's there. Yuji Naka with Kadokawa Games has already announced a Rodea the Sky Soldier Experience Tour in Japan last month and the game was showcased in the Japanese Nintendo Direct this month. This is not a blockbuster or AAA game, so the amount of marketing they're doing is already very good. You don't know about this game because there is no one releasing it in the West at this point in time.

Just check the first post in this thread. This game has struggled to make an appearance due to differences in management at Kadokawa Games, the publisher, and Prope, the developer. There is a lot of info about what happened in 2011 and before. I have made a nice timeline for you to read on the first page of this thread including a source for every bullet point. Rodea the Sky Soldier has been mentioned in local Japanese gaming magazines like Famitsu and is one of the more talked about indie releases in Japan at the moment. You read that right, this is an indie game. If you're expecting a release from an established developer you're wrong. Prope is an indie studio that has mainly focused on mobile games until recently. Lack of marketing is the last problem they need to care about.

I've already read your first post in this thread. When I talked about the lack of marketing is , of course, referred to the perception of western market not japan. But actually what we do know about releasing in west market ? Nothing, We can only speculate about the release in west. In japan market where this game will be released on Wii U and also the Wii version if I didn't understand worng , so it is clear in there a Wii game and the requiring of wii mote is viable in 2015.
What I'm saying is , if it will get even released in the west , to take the opportunity of porting the wii mote control scheme as an option in the Wii U game at least for hardcore fans that will buy this. I hope that , if Yuji Naka/prope doesn't make this, patience. I will probably get the game if released in the west but I will feel sad if I can't get the opportunity to play the Wii version A.K.A the proper version.

PS: I actually have the feeling that you are misunderstanding me , let me be clear on this point: I don't want to impose my opinion as a "Yuji Naka must do that" , I'm only trying to understand if there is some possibility to play this game as it was meant to play. I hope this feeling is due only to my lack of knowing about the game and not because my bad english.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I don't know if we started on the wrong foot, but I need to correct you on a few points:

1. XSEED has been previously named to release the game in the US when there was still only the Wii version to consider, however their stance is currently unclear as there have been no indications of them releasing the new Wii U version. Kadokawa Games in particular doesn't seem open to a release outside Japan so they're to blame for any perception you have of the game's marketing. (And to stress this point once more, the game still hasn't been considered for release in the West so it's only natural they're not talking about a Western release.)

2. Rodea the Sky Soldier for Wii U and 3DS will only be offered at retail in Japan, whereas Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea (the Wii version) is restricted to the first print run only, coming in a limited edition bundle with the Wii U version. So again it's not viable to release a game requiring the Wiimote in 2015. The first print edition is being made for fans who appreciate the work of Yuji Naka, who has a following in Japan for his work at Sega (and later at Prope).

3. When Yuji Naka talked to Polygon, he specifically said: "One unfortunate thing about the Wii U announcement: It doesn't come with a Wii remote" [..] "I created the game specifically for the Wii remote, so it's going to turn into a totally different experience. I'm really down about that because Rodea is a really good game." So whatever impression the Wii U left on him clearly made him want to reconsider the game from the ground up. This again goes back to my point about the requirement of an additional purchase (a Wiimote) hurting sales and Yuji Naka recognized this immediately after learning about the Wii U. This is why nobody had any idea of the game until recently when they finally reworked the Wii version to become the new Wii U version, which is in fact an entirely new game based on the original and built around the Wii U GamePad.

Of course, you should already know all of this if you went through the sources listed in the first post. Your English is fine, I'm not perfect either. ;)

Reactions: SlappyTheDummy

SlappyTheDummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In a recent Famitsu article about rodea the sky soldier , the president of kadokawa Games , Yoshimi Yasuda , said:

"It took some time to deliver [Rodea] to everyone, but the Nintendo 3DS, Wii U and Wii versions were rebooted. I think that we can share some sort of notification of a overseas release in the near future, so overseas users please look forward to it."

So there is hope for the original Wii version to come too. Cross my fingers.

Reactions: shinkodachi

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

More gameplay revealed. My honest opinion is not going to sound nice, but the game looks unfinished, almost like a beta? It should be production ready already at this point, so it's unlikely they'll make it any better than it is now. The gameplay looks very slow and actually reminds me a little of Sonic Lost World, maybe even Kid Icarus: Uprising. Graphics look like a Wii game upscaled and the mechanics seem dull. Ugh. What the hell? I wish I hadn't seen this video as Rodea isn't on my radar anymore. Most likely skipping this on launch day. I've been following the development of this for almost 6 years and this is the game they're coming up with?

shinkodachi is in denial, assumes fetal position and weeps in a corner.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-