Gaming Rodea the Sky Soldier Wii U thread

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Rodea the Movie, Part 1 (February 12, 2015)

Rodea the Sky Soldier Wii U / 3DS trailer (November 24, 2014)

Rodea the Sky Soldier Experience Tour 2015 announcement (December 24, 2014)

Japanese Nintendo Direct (Rodea the Sky Soldier at 18:28; January 14, 2015)

Timeline
  • Fall 2009 — Development started [Andriasang]
  • October, 2010 — Yuji Naka talks about a "very original action game based in the sky" [CVG]
  • January, 2011 — Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea announced for Wii and 3DS in collaboration with Kadokawa Games [Andriasang]
  • January, 2011 — Kadokawa Games files trademark for Rodea the Sky Soldier in the US [Siliconera]
  • January, 2011 — Famitsu reveals debut trailer for the Wii version shown at Kadokawa Games' conference [Famitsu]
  • July, 2011 — XSEED expresses interest in publishing Kadokawa Games' titles in the US [Siliconera]
  • September, 2011 — Wii version of the game "has been finished for awhile now" [Siliconera]
    • When asked about a Wii U version, Yuji Naka said: "Rodea was made specifically for the Wii so players could enjoy it by flicking the remote. If we tried to incorporate those controls into the large Wii U controller it wouldn’t be the same. I would really like for people to play and enjoy it on the Wii as I had originally intended."
  • September, 2012 — Rodea the Sky Soldier for Wii still to be released, 3DS version "might be close to being finished" [Polygon]
    • Yuji Naka's comments about the Wii U: "One unfortunate thing about the Wii U announcement: It doesn't come with a Wii remote" [..] "I created the game specifically for the Wii remote, so it's going to turn into a totally different experience. I'm really down about that because Rodea is a really good game."
  • July, 2013 — Rodea the Sky Soldier still in development for Wii and 3DS [Siliconera]
  • May, 2014 — Kadokawa Games re-registers trademark for Rodea the Sky Soldier in Japan [Siliconera]
  • November, 2014 — Wii U and 3DS version of the game to be released in Spring 2015 in Japan [Siliconera]
    • "The Wii version of Rodea the Sky Soldier that never released will also be included in first-print copy of Rodea the Sky Soldier for Wii U when it releases in Spring 2015 in Japan."
  • November, 2014 — Rising Star Games looking into publishing Rodea the Sky Soldier in Europe [See UPDATE below]
  • December, 2014 — "Rodea the Sky Soldier Experience Tour 2015" to be held in Akihabara on January 17, 2015 [YouTube]
  • December, 2014 — Cover art revealed and release date confirmed for April 2, 2015 [See UPDATE below]
  • January, 2015 — Rodea the Sky Soldier gameplay and details revealed in Japanese Nintendo Direct 2015.1.14 [YouTube]
  • February, 2015 — Kadokawa Games reveals more gameplay in "Rodea the Movie, Part 1", including footage from the 3DS version [YouTube]
  • February, 2015 — NIS America confirms upcoming release of Rodea the Sky Soldier in the West for Fall 2015 [NIS America]
Details
  • Title: Rodea the Sky Soldier
  • Genre: Adventure Platformer
  • Platform: Wii / Wii U / 3DS
  • Developer: Prope / Kadokawa Games
  • Publisher: Kadokawa Games (Japan), NIS America (US / EU)
Description

Do you remember the announcement of Rodea: The Sky Soldier way back in 2011? Kadokawa Games' president Yoshimi Yasuda confirmed back in July that it is still alive, and we now have a Spring release set for this NiGHTS-style action game!

Rodea: The Sky Soldier starts on the floating continent of Garuda. Your journey begins when a curious young girl named Ion ventures into ruins and reactivates the fabled robotic Majin soldier Rodea. After waking from a 1,000 year slumber Rodea's memory is no more, except for the recollection of a "fierce battle from the past" and the face of a girl who looks like Ion.

As all this unfolds, the Machine Empire Naga has been revivded after 1,000 years of dormancy. Seemingly to be the antagonists of the title, their aim is to take control of the 'Gravity Energy' that resides on Garuda and use it to power their invasion of mechanical soldiers.

In order to protect the confused and frightened people of Garuda, Rodea and Ion step up to face the machine army. [Play-Asia]

----------

UPDATE I sent an email to Rising Star Games and received a promising response:
This game is on our project coordinator's radar. Only time will tell what happens next =)

Best wishes,
Samuel
UPDATE2 I replied asking about a physical release, here's the answer:
Our general aim is provide a disc version of our games when possible which has fortunately been the case for most of our console titles. If things were to move along with Rodea the Sky Soldier, I would imagine a disc version would be likely.

Please keep in mind, our interest in the game is still at a very early stage!

Best wishes,
Samuel
UPDATE3 Cover art revealed for the Japanese Wii U and limited edition Wii versions of the game:
rodea-the-sky-soldier-390899.7.jpg
rodea-the-sky-soldier-390899.8.jpg
rodea-the-sky-soldier-390899.6.jpg
rodea-the-sky-soldier-390901.15.jpg
UPDATE4 Some pictures of the game itself! [blog.esuteru.com]
6f557071-s.jpg

eb2fad64-s.jpg

a4ecf79e-s.jpg

d1acd07a-s.jpg

680ba44f-s.jpg

cfb7bcd8-s.jpg

5b8e448e-s.jpg

843afee6-s.jpg

15efc091-s.jpg

83c3f622-s.jpg

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So after all there is a Wii versión of this gane coming out. Very interesting

I was surprised to learn they didn't outright cancel it, but it heavily suggests the Wii version is very different to the upcoming Wii U version. I'd love to try it out as Yuji Naka said he would "really like for people to play and enjoy it on the Wii as I had originally intended". I hope management issues / reshuffling of the development team didn't cost quality. It sounds like only the 3DS version was being developed from the beginning as a single game, and that's the only version that hasn't been shown publicly.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
when is european release that? this looks awesome.

We only know Kadokawa Games is publishing it next year in Japan and that Rising Star Games has expressed interest in publishing it in Europe. Same for XSEED in the US. So realistically it's anywhere between 2015-2016. Nothing has been set in stone, though. There's no telling if the game doesn't meet expectations in Japan, so all we can do for now is wait.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Cover art revealed for Japanese Wii U and limited edition Wii version of the game!
rodea-the-sky-soldier-390899.7.jpg
rodea-the-sky-soldier-390899.8.jpg
rodea-the-sky-soldier-390899.6.jpg
Wow. Just awesome. I really love the bundle cover art. Both Wii U and Wii version cover arts look awesome as well. Keep in mind the Wii version is going to be Japan exclusive and only available in the first print edition bundle you're seeing here! The original game is very different to the Wii U version. A new trailer has also been revealed (see first post).

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
This is indeed looking like a winner. Let's hope the gameplay and overall presentation lives up to the hype. :) It's been 5 years in the making, obviously with management issues and reshuffling of resources in between, but it's clearly an important project for Prope and Yuji Naka, so I hope the final game will reflect the vision he had in mind for it. So far, I'm very impressed, but this really needs to be localized ASAP.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Plus if it gets a physical release it probably won't be on print for too long because outside this community I doubt many others are even aware of its existence.

I'm still bummed that Europe didn't receive a physical release of NES Remix for Wii U. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1