Hacking Rhapsodii Shima 5.4

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@popckorn hmm.. everything seems fine from your attached files.
I thought you were using the magic number for the american Turboduo, which has vertical covers, but it's not your case.

There's one more thing I'd like to check, the source menu .ini file that you're using for your console tier.
You will find it in wiiflow/source_menu/Rhapsodii Shima/consoles.ini
Attach this file here for me to check.

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@popckorn hmm.. everything seems fine from your attached files.
I thought you were using the magic number for the american Turboduo, which has vertical covers, but it's not your case.

There's one more thing I'd like to check, the source menu .ini file that you're using for your console tier.
You will find it in wiiflow/source_menu/Rhapsodii Shima/consoles.ini
Attach this file here for me to check.
I am utterly thankful for your prompt and kind attention.

wiiflow/source_menu/Rhapsodii Shima/consoles.ini attached in Attached2.7z

An interesting thing is that in the consoles tier UI the PCE-CD has a TGFX16-CD icon, and upon entering to the console tier behind all the games is a TGFX16-CD icon. I am guessing this could be the reason also the boxes are treated as if they were TGFX-16 hue card boxes?

Once again, Thank You Tetsuo!

Attachments

• Attached2.7z
    1.2 KB · Views: 32

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@popckorn
Ok here's the problem:
Code:
[BUTTON_20]
autoboot=
cat_page=1
category=0
hidden=no
image=pc_engine_cd.png
image_s=pc_engine_cd.png
magic=5044554f
source=plugin
title=NEC : PC-Engine CD-Rom : (1991)
The magic number 5044554f does not exist in platform.ini
Everytime in the source menu there's a magic number not present in platform.ini, Wiiflow will use the default DVD case for covers.
If you want to use Wiimednafen for PCE CD, you have to use:
magic=4d45454e

For PC Engine, if you want to use the japanese console art and covers, change this:
Code:
[BUTTON_16]
autoboot=
cat_page=1
category=0
hidden=no
image=Turbo_Grafx.png
image_s=Turbo_Grafx.png
magic=54473137
source=plugin
title=NEC : TurboGrafx-16 : (1989)
into this:
Code:
[BUTTON_16]
autoboot=
cat_page=1
category=0
hidden=no
image=PC_Engine.png
image_s=PC_Engine.png
magic=4d45434e
source=plugin
title=PC-Engine
(I assumed you want to use Wiimednafen for PCE too)

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@popckorn
Ok here's the problem:
Code:
[BUTTON_20]
autoboot=
cat_page=1
category=0
hidden=no
image=pc_engine_cd.png
image_s=pc_engine_cd.png
magic=5044554f
source=plugin
title=NEC : PC-Engine CD-Rom : (1991)
The magic number 5044554f does not exist in platform.ini
Everytime in the source menu there's a magic number not present in platform.ini, Wiiflow will use the default DVD case for covers.
If you want to use Wiimednafen for PCE CD, you have to use:
magic=4d45454e

For PC Engine, if you want to use the japanese console art and covers, change this:
Code:
[BUTTON_16]
autoboot=
cat_page=1
category=0
hidden=no
image=Turbo_Grafx.png
image_s=Turbo_Grafx.png
magic=54473137
source=plugin
title=NEC : TurboGrafx-16 : (1989)
into this:
Code:
[BUTTON_16]
autoboot=
cat_page=1
category=0
hidden=no
image=PC_Engine.png
image_s=PC_Engine.png
magic=4d45434e
source=plugin
title=PC-Engine
(I assumed you want to use Wiimednafen for PCE too)

Brilliant!

WiiMednafen is NOT compatible with my CD images because they have multiple .bin audio files.
I MUST use RetroArch to play PCE-CD, so I hope this solution also applies to the RA-Beetle Plugin.
It is only the RetroArch plugin that is giving me the wrong boxart, WiiMednafen had the correct PCE-CD boxes all along.

Regarding PCEngine (Hue Cards), I did want to keep use the TGFX-16 Boxart (Vertical DVD-like) with the PCEngine white console logos and console background, which I like more. I LOVE the PCEngine's tiny form-factor design, the American version is too big and looks like a lump of coal. Alas I only found the boxcover set for TurboGrafx-16.

So I wonder whether I can use my TGFX-16 Covers with the PCEngine source regardless of Plugin.
I also wonder if the solution for the PCE-CD source (the magic number fix) will fix the covers for RetroArch.

Rembeber WiiMednafen DID SHOW ME THE CORRECT BOXART for PCE-CD!
It was only RetroArch plug in which had the wrong covers for PCE-CD!

Please do pardon me if I am a bit confusing, I am confused myself, lol.
Please excuse.

Thank You!

Last edited by popckorn,

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@popckorn Ok to use Retroarch for PCE CD, you have to use:
magic=54473138
Every magic number tells wiiflow which plugin to use, according to its .ini file

To use TG16 covers with the PCE console in the background:
edit platform.ini
scroll down till you reach the [FLOWS] section
then change PCENGINE=cd_case to PCENGINE=cart_box

Alas I only found the boxcover set for TurboGrafx-16
If you'll ever want to try my beloved pce jewel case set, look in the Covers Collections thread - part 2
It's easy to miss, unlike part 1 which is stickied.

If you like Retroarch and you're interested in pixel perfect scanlines, I made this little project here
It's little collection of RA cores with the ability to auto save separate configurations, plus setup instructions to configure each machine individually with the correct resolution and scanlines.
I think it's the best way these games should be played, if you don't have a CRT
ryu.png

• Love
Reactions: popckorn

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@popckorn Ok to use Retroarch for PCE CD, you have to use:
magic=54473138
Every magic number tells wiiflow which plugin to use, according to its .ini file

To use TG16 covers with the PCE console in the background:
edit platform.ini
scroll down till you reach the [FLOWS] section
then change PCENGINE=cd_case to PCENGINE=cart_box

If you'll ever want to try my beloved pce jewel case set, look in the Covers Collections thread - part 2
It's easy to miss, unlike part 1 which is stickied.

If you like Retroarch and you're interested in pixel perfect scanlines, I made this little project here
It's little collection of RA cores with the ability to auto save separate configurations, plus setup instructions to configure each machine individually with the correct resolution and scanlines.
I think it's the best way these games should be played, if you don't have a CRT

Eres un Santo! Gracias infinitas!
Ahora entiendo por primera vez... espera jajaja
I see an Italian flag and get all "Romance", I was writing Spanish with an Italian accent... lel

I know you can read that tho, it is true. You are a Saint.
For the first time after lurking this thread I understand the magic numbers and the ini files quite a bit better.
You finally understood precisely my needs and tailored your succinct response with a solution for me.

I am sincerely grateful and full of admiration for your character on top of your Hack.

Regarding Covers for PCE.
I missed the Jewel cases, and even though I spent some time using Gimp (Linux) to "shop" some missing games, I will more than happily do it all over again using your Jewel Case Set as base, I will enjoy this process A LOT, I love the Nippon covers when available. By using your Jewel Case Set I will no longer need to modify the boxcover line, just stick to the PCE-CD Source, if I understand correctly.

Regarding Plugins for PCE-CD:
I will stick to RetroArch, because I won't convert my backups to iso + .ogg audio files to make them work with WiiMednafen. And I do like all the tinkering RetroArch offers to fine tune the experience, which brings me to your other project:

Regarding my User Experience:
I was almost getting melancholic because I was done perfecting the Hacked Wii (I am Asperger spectrum), I will LOVE perfecting the image for at least my favourite cores. I have a new project!
I thank you for your solutions to this project, and for giving me a new temporal obsession to occupy my troubled mind with.

I'll say it again:
Grazie Sei Un Santo!

P.D. I will go get a Coke to drink with a lot of ice, along with my pain meds, and get to work! I will keep you posted should I find another missing line of code acting up in the process! I cannot explain how much of a real friend you feel to someone alienated like me.

Dio vi benedica!
Post automatically merged:

@Tetsuo Shima I am done adding your set of PCEngine jewel case to my Wii, as well as a couple games that I had to make a case for manually. It will look much better this way. I can use the PCEngine Source now with these Jewel Case CD Covers.

My issue now is that the Source PCEngine keeps showing the same TGFX16 boxcovers I had previously placed in the Boxcovers/PCEngine folder. Remember I wanted to use the PCEngine Source because I like the original console better, so I put the TGFX16 covers I had in its folder and now I am stuck with them. I seem to recall Wiiflow can reload cache of games but not of boxcovers, right?

EDIT: So yeah, I found it!
Wiiflow/cache/NEC/PCE I deleted all the cached .wfc files and then went back to the Wii and reloaded the cache from there again. It finally shows them.

BOY ARE THEY GORGEOUS!!
THANKS A LOT, TETSUO!
YOU RULE!

I am golden now, I just have to fix a couple of missing covers, probably due to a butchered file name, or missing extension before .png but that is a clerical issue, the engineering part is fixed!

Thanks again Tetsuo, you are a treasure to the community!
Thank you for your patience.

Last edited by popckorn,
Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Tetsuo Shima please pardon me, I am back with another question:

Is there a way to open the RetroArch menu in-game? I am trying to edit the controller configuration, but find no way to enter the RetroArch Quick Menu.

I have accessed RetroArch from HomeBrewChannel, accessed the core and configured the controller there, then quited retroarch hoping for it to save on exit.
But when I Came back to Wiiflow and opened the game my edit to the controls was missing, nothing changed.
Ironically, when I played the game again in RetroArch from HBC the controller configuration did save!

So I reckon the RetroArch Plugin in Wiiflow has its own controller configuration override? Maybe even its own RetroArch?

I am trying to map the D-Pad to Left Analog, there is an option to do that in the Input menu of Retroarch, but then again... how do I access it in a valid way?

Thank You!

Last edited by popckorn,

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@popckorn You should provide more details, this never happened to me. But this is not the correct thread to discuss about Retroarch issues, open a dedicated thread or make a post in the Plugins Pack Thread if you're using it, or if you're using the cores from my other project, ask there.
If you downloaded RA from elsewhere, it's very important that you specify which RA version you're using, some versions can be unstable.

wei134102

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
hi,Tetsuo Shima,i have a question,how to change the color of the plugins game name ,like fc game name on the top,now the color is white.

soi-cho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. The main menu buttons (retro consoles, handhelds, wii menu, etc) have black corners instead of being transparent. Does anyone know what causes this and/or how I can fix it? Shrinking the image size didn't work (image size didn't change when I loaded the theme up with new image size).

Reactions: cheloruiz79

cheloruiz79

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hello everyone. The main menu buttons (retro consoles, handhelds, wii menu, etc) have black corners instead of being transparent. Does anyone know what causes this and/or how I can fix it? Shrinking the image size didn't work (image size didn't change when I loaded the theme up with new image size).
the images cannot have transparency they must be colored the images that have some transparent part look bad and are cut off

soi-cho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the images cannot have transparency they must be colored the images that have some transparent part look bad and are cut off
Hey thanks for the quick reply! That is making more sense. I'm posting a picture of the 'handheld' button. Maybe I can trim the corners somehow?

black_corners.png

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@soi-cho Wiiflow doesn't support transparent images, so even if you trim the corners they will appear black.
To simulate the rounded corners, I used a sort of black rail on the inside of the wheel, so that the black corners are invisible.
If you can still see the corners, then go to Settings page 12 and click on the 'Source Menu Settings' button. Set 'Enable Sourceflow' and 'Sourceflow Smallbox' to 'On'.

Reactions: cheloruiz79

soi-cho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@soi-cho Wiiflow doesn't support transparent images, so even if you trim the corners they will appear black.
To simulate the rounded corners, I used a sort of black rail on the inside of the wheel, so that the black corners are invisible.
If you can still see the corners, then go to Settings page 12 and click on the 'Source Menu Settings' button. Set 'Enable Sourceflow' and 'Sourceflow Smallbox' to 'On'.
Ok got it. Sourceflow was enabled and Smallbox was on already. I may should have mentioned this before but I got your theme as a preinstalled package from a youtube video. Since then I've read that it's better to read guides from this forum rather than random youtube videos. I'll see about reinstalling your theme and see if that works. If not, then I may have to shoot for updating wiiflow. Thank you both for your help! Love this theme a lot!!

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok got it. Sourceflow was enabled and Smallbox was on already. I may should have mentioned this before but I got your theme as a preinstalled package from a youtube video. Since then I've read that it's better to read guides from this forum rather than random youtube videos. I'll see about reinstalling your theme and see if that works. If not, then I may have to shoot for updating wiiflow. Thank you both for your help! Love this theme a lot!!
Sorry I confused the option names. Not Smallbox but Box Mode.
Is Box Mode off? When it's on it causes borders to appear

surprise!

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey folks, just a quick heads up. Rhapsodii Shima is, among my projects, my biggest pride and over the years it has reached great popularity, far beyond my expectations. Version 5.4.9 has been downloaded over 13.000 times only here on GBAtemp, but I can imagine many more people are actually using it.
So what can I say, thank you to all RS lovers! I can tell you that I have something in the works regarding this theme. Something I always wanted to do but that I could never do for various reasons. I'll let you guess what it is :)

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima,

mastershoes

GameTDB Mod & Retro Cover Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks, just a quick heads up. Rhapsodii Shima is, among my projects, my biggest pride and over the years it has reached great popularity, far beyond my expectations. Version 5.4.9 has been downloaded over 13.000 times only here on GBAtemp, but I can imagine many more people are actually using it.
So what can I say, thank you to all RS lovers! I can tell you that I have something in the works regarding this theme. Something I always wanted to do but that I could never do for various reasons. I'll let you guess what it is :)
Each download now comes with a free satchel of sweet Mary Jane? Ya know.. to help enjoy the theme? You said guess.

mcfry666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have absolutely no clue how you could improve the last version even more :). I'm glad your still working on this and improving it. I can't wait for the big surprise!!!

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you, King!

I can't for the life of me think of something to make Shima better.
My Arcade section is a ROYAL MESS, but that is MAME right there for you.

It would be cool if it had something to do with Arcade
Much LOVE and RESPECT!

XXXX
Bob Korn

EDIT: Mini Game Descriptions, maybe?

soi-cho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I confused the option names. Not Smallbox but Box Mode.
Is Box Mode off? When it's on it causes borders to appear
Hey thanks again for your help, Shima! For me, the fix ended up being Wii Settings>Screen>Widescreen (16:9). To clarify, my Wii was set to Standard (4:3) and changing to Widescreen fixed the issue.

Look forward to seeing the new changes you're working on!! :bow:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway