Hacking Emulation Gaming Homebrew ROM Hack Some issues with emulation in wiiflow

locomia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My quest configuring wiiflow build is near end. I recently updated the plugin pack to v12. I still have some issues and questions, here they are :

1-Arcade Games/cores - after updating for the pack v12, a lot of arcade games stopped working (under Arcade source menu), I.e.:!one game opens retroarch core selection screen, the other game goes back to wiiflow, etc. I have 400+ roms spread in those folders called Mame core A, B, C etc but I don't remember now if they are mame2000 or 2003. Anyway, they are shown when FBA plug-in is selected.I really struggle to see this working because I started this quest in order to play arcade games as a main goal.

Some cps games (under Capcom source menu) does not launch and give an error msg in the middle of screen saying it can't create cache or cache not found, something like this. This screen has also colored dots around. I thought this is strange because the previously cache files are for neogeo and not cps.

99% of neogeo games (under neogeo source menu) are working ok with ra-hexaeco but they still show 3.x unibios instead of 4 (not a problem, btw), if I remember well, Mslug 1 is the the only one that I need to use retroarch and one other gave cache error (I need to check if the cache is there)- btw I guess the neogeo part is OK to leave as is

2- Grim Fandango - i have the game in Portuguese-Brazilian language, inside a game folder called something like "grim fandango(windows-portuguese Brazilian)" . This is inside folder sd/residualvm/ and I already added the Game to residualvm interface, so it shows both, the dummy one and this one. Only one cover is shown, and when I click on it, it tries to launch the dummy game, gives a not found error (as expected) and shows residualvm screen, where I can select and load the correct game. I wanted to see the correct game being loaded directly when I click the cover in wiiiflow, is it possible? I tried editing a lot of things in the ini file under wiiiflow/plugins/residualvm AND under apps/grim but nothing worked and I ended up without not even showing the cover

3- scummvm saves - scummvm games are already loaded correctly and show covers and load up correctly in wiiflow. BUT, when launching then using wiiiflow, they will not show correctly the savegames, it says invalid files, does not show the savegame screenshot and gives an error if I try to load them.
In other hand, the savegames work well if scummvm is launched through HBC

4- hexen and Heretic controls are very weird and I am not sure if the savegame feature works. Hexen 2 works well

5- GameCube games won't load through wiiiflow, but they work though CFG loader and usb loader gx. I tried several video options and toggling on/off emucard feature without success in wiiflow. It's already set up using Nintendont. It was working before I updated to v6 pack then stopped working (today I am at v12 pack and it keeps not working, it goes to a black screen)

6- screenshots in game description - some screenshots of the games appear bigger (I guess) than they should be, and cover up the space of the game title. Not a big thing, but I *believe* it's a simple thing to solve

Guys, once again thanks for all the help on this forum. I am almost 2 years on this quest and now I feel like I'm near the finish line of leaving it 100% working, and start to worry only about which games to play with my kid. I also plan to clean up the emulators not used in my build and provide to the community as a package.
Once again, sorry by the big post!

Last edited by locomia,

locomia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A little Update:

Neogeo
: I did some tests and indeed all games tested today ended up working, either by using one plug-in or the other. I ended up by leaving both plugins checked so I see the two versions for each game covers, one for each plug-in. It would be great to have a small info box near the game saying the associated core, and/or a way to hide games-cores pairs so I would leave visible the working ones.

For register and info : most games tested ran ok with retroarch 1.7.5 plus pre-created caches. These games (including Mslug 1) gave memory dump with retroarch, after unibios screen, when neo geo logo started to appear. Most said unibios 3.2, only a few showed 4.0.

In the other hand, metal slug 2,3,4,5 and X run well with hexaeco, but crash with retroarch

Arcade: I did tests and most games actually were being loaded with both cores : FBA 2012 retroarch and FBA 2012 hexaeco. But, when loading through retroarch, the controls simply does not work, so I leave retroarch plug-in unchecked (it was checked by default) and hexaeco checked (it was unchecked by default) - btw, even running by hexaeco, one game gave memory dump when trying to save state or load state. I had also some games not loading in anyway, example: choko

Capcom: I have just a few games, like 11 games, it seems fba cps 1 is working, caddilacs and dinossaurs is no longer working (it was, somewhere in the past), and the heavier games (I guess they are for cps3) gives that cache message I mentioned :
this one I got when truing to launch sfiii-2

779705AA-8E27-4F3A-BEFD-51879F466710.jpeg

4E37B5F1-6F3B-4D32-A982-16DF266C5C96.jpeg

Last edited by locomia,

Jmandawg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little Update:

Neogeo
: I did some tests and indeed all games tested today ended up working, either by using one plug-in or the other. I ended up by leaving both plugins checked so I see the two versions for each game covers, one for each plug-in. It would be great to have a small info box near the game saying the associated core, and/or a way to hide games-cores pairs so I would leave visible the working ones.

For register and info : most games tested ran ok with retroarch 1.7.5 plus pre-created caches. These games (including Mslug 1) gave memory dump with retroarch, after unibios screen, when neo geo logo started to appear. Most said unibios 3.2, only a few showed 4.0.

In the other hand, metal slug 2,3,4,5 and X run well with hexaeco, but crash with retroarch

Arcade: I did tests and most games actually were being loaded with both cores : FBA 2012 retroarch and FBA 2012 hexaeco. But, when loading through retroarch, the controls simply does not work, so I leave retroarch plug-in unchecked (it was checked by default) and hexaeco checked (it was unchecked by default) - btw, even running by hexaeco, one game gave memory dump when trying to save state or load state. I had also some games not loading in anyway, example: choko

Capcom: I have just a few games, like 11 games, it seems fba cps 1 is working, caddilacs and dinossaurs is no longer working (it was, somewhere in the past), and the heavier games (I guess they are for cps3) gives that cache message I mentioned :
this one I got when truing to launch sfiii-2

View attachment 343881
View attachment 343885

I've noticed the same issues with RA NeoGeo-Hex core, i can't load metal slug 1. I've quadruple checked everything and I think it has something to do with the way the neogeo core works when running from wiiflow as it works fine when launched from homebrew channel (ie mslug.zip will load when launching the core directly from HB channel). Even the menu of the core is different when launched from wiiflow.

Ultimately I think if you want support you need to ask in the wiiflow plugins thread.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-great-quest-for-wiiflow-plugins-tm-a-call-for-adventurers.563575/

Reactions: locomia

locomia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Update:

GameCube : I fixed it just by dowolading the latest Nintendont loader.dol, renaming it to boot.dol and copying it over in apps/Nintendont. No more GameCube issues then

CPS 3 : I installed the standalone version in HBC, entered each game to create the caches and then I copied this cache folder to the place asked by the wiiflow plug-in.
Both plugins are working, but retroarch performs faster than hexaexo

Neogeo: retroarch is working after I copied the cache folder to the place requested. Hexaeco is still giving some memory dumps.

Mame/Capcom: I realized that I had a bunch of roms not working in "Arcade" section (fbalpha 2012) that were CPS roms actually. I identified and moved these roms to the respective cps1 and cps2 folders and now they're working under "Capcom" section

Scummvm : I tried new things in ini files without success. Basically, when launched by wiiflow it show the save files that were created when I played it through HBC, but it says invalid format. I can save and load new saves, by the way, so I can still play these old saved games through HBC and start saving new games using wiiflow, so it's not a BIG issue, it's more a incompatibility with the savegames. In the image below, the game #18 was saved while launching the game from wiiflow.
9B047542-2C24-47D3-B1D9-B5978EB27795.jpeg

SNES: some roms did not work with the NEXT plugin then I've set snes9xgx as default and it's ok

Residualvm (Grim Fandango): still having issues with the invisible pointer. I really wanted to play this game, it seems to be challenging

My wiiflow configuration is going to have MAME and Capcom arcades, neogeo, snes, Genesis, SEGACD, 32x, Msx, BBC and PC (which also includes a bunch of openbor, scummvm, prboom and port games). I am fine tuning it for a while (with the help of this forum, special thanks to @RunningSnakes ), I learned a lot about its "gears", and my config it about 95% ready, talking in funcionality and boxcovers. I am thinking in removing non-used files and releasing my configuration as a pack after ready, do you guys like the idea?

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto