Homebrew Reverse engineering Nintendo Network!

TherealDarknes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Servers require bandwidth, electricity and maintenance which are all not free
The electrical bill for running server is gargantuan 24/7 servers suck up a ridiculous amount of electricity. Nintendo can't just buy an unlimited package from an ISP and host whatever they want, they have to get corporate server package where they pay for every TB or so which is definitely not cheap either
quit defending paid servers if steam with thousands of games can do free servers so can anyone else

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you make some advaces, it'll be great if the OP is updated with it, and also if you need some help (like to try some things with our consoles).

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quit defending paid servers if steam with thousands of games can do free servers so can anyone else
This isn't really the place to have that particular discussion. I know you're not the only one going off topic, just the most recent.

Please don't derail this topic before it has a chance to even get started

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello there, I've been recently trying to reverse engineer Nintendo Network so we can have a Nintendo Network custom server!

Currently here are my findings:
3DS connects to nasc.nintendowifi.net:443 which I think is the Nintendo Network server.

Anyways here is a image of it returning blank data which is a start!
-image to big lol removed to make response short- ~MarioMasta64

Anyways help is appreciated!
I personally would encourage this as someone reverse engineered nintendo wifi before it shutdown and we have altwfc now, so perhaps one day when nintendos servers for 3ds shutdown we will still be able to play our mario kart and such

ItsKaitlyn03

Official GBAtemp ?
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
emulating nintendo network servers should be easy enough i guess but you definitely aren't going anywhere lol
you're just showing a request that you do to some server to its ssl port, you don't seem to know what you are doing really.
if you want to emulate one of their servers, this definitely isn't the right way to do it.
plus, in order to do that, you will also have to retrieve ssl certificates for these servers from some 3DS sysmodule.
if you want to understand the communication, you will also likely need to reverse the nim sysmodule...
and if you ever want to use custom servers on your 3DS, you will need something like ctr-httpwn and/or patching some sysmodules.
that was something i was thinking for since Nintendo Network uses TLS/SSL

jsa

Trophies
Website
muffinti.me
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, NASC is Nintendo's authentication server (indeed, it seems to be an initialism of Nintendo Authentication Server CTR).

I wish you the best of luck; this could be very promising. May I suggest that you try patching the friends (frd:u) sysmodule to use HTTP vs. HTTPS? (You will need to setup a custom DNS server and point nasc.nintendowifi.net to a server which proxies requests to the official server - make sure you include the 3DS client cert, as well - search for ClCertA Dumper) -- download link to Reisayukaku's getcert app: https://mega.nz/#!Fl5kkLJC!Spj-TRfbN8gClJSJvj_lRu-XeZUBpefgG6wSJrO6tvo (run on 3DS)

Last edited by jsa, , Reason: Add download link to getcert

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
IMHO the best way to do this is monitor mode a fw update with wireshark to death. And to death I mean TO DEATH. To know the handshaking process and whatnot.

But afaik, is all ssl'd with secret, magic keys. You won't go much far that way. Unless you could negotiate a ssl handshake faking a system or something, but I don't see that working either.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I initially thought when they shutdown the 3ds and the Wii U servers, that no one would even attempt to patch it up for custom servers. Seeing this, I'm glad I didn't just waste my money on a new 3ds. Now we'll be able to play online for many years to come. Congratulations on the work. :)

Ivan Garcia

Trophies
Website
www.igarcias.es
XP
Country
IMHO the best way to do this is monitor mode a fw update with wireshark to death. And to death I mean TO DEATH. To know the handshaking process and whatnot.

But afaik, is all ssl'd with secret, magic keys. You won't go much far that way. Unless you could negotiate a ssl handshake faking a system or something, but I don't see that working either.

It's impossible to fake the handshake since the console will try to check if the certificate that the server is using is from Nintendo Root CA or not. It's so hard to bypass this but not impossible. There's other methods like modify the 0x3 certificate with your own Intermediate G3 Certificate to decrypt info sended to your server. But remember, you can decrypt what 3ds sends but not what Nintendo sends to your 3DS...

Have fun mitming the 3ds :)

FrostyDialga

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Will you do this with poke bank one day it could be used for free poke bank and the ppoke bank servers will be shut down one day making it impossble to tranfer pokemon from gen 7 gen6 and 5.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol