Hacking RetroGameFan Updates/Releases

Tuff

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so um i have one question about this line "ALL 2014-2019 carts" does it mean that it only works for carts that were made in 2014 to 2019 date or does it mean it work only on carts that have the dates on the sticker?

Reggie10

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello -- I'm brand new to this and am trying my best to get things started but have hit a stumbling block. I have one minor question and one big question. For reference, I'm using an R4I-SDHC 3DS with the RTS on the box (red box). (The forum won't let me post images or links since I'm new, so I've included the suffixes to my imgur links where appropriate.)

1) This was asked a few pages back, but I don't think the poster got a definitive answer. When I follow the instructions for YMenu in the "R4i-SDHC YSMenu" folder, the primary kernel instructions tell me to "Extract the files from the DSONEi SDHC YSMenu folder and copy to root of your µSD." Is this a mistake? The "DSONEi SDHC YSMenu" folder does not contain R4.dat. Should these instructions instead read "Extract the files from the R4i-SDHC YSMenu folder and copy to root of your µSD?"

2) Now for my big question. I acquired what I think is the correct kernel from the flashcart's website, a file called "R4i-3DS V1.85b English.zip." When I extract the archive, I see numerous files and folders. One of the files is called R4.dat, just like the YMenu file. (imgur address suffix: 0ElfOnl)

If I click into the "R4i-3DS V1.85b English" folder, I see this: (imgur address suffix: lPImIwM)

What exactly is the kernel I'm looking for? Is it everything (i.e. all files and folders)? Just the R4.dat file? If I copy that R4.dat file into the root of my µSD as instructed, won't it just overwrite the R4.dat file I copied from the YMenu folder in the previous step?

Very confused by all this; any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by Reggie10,

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello -- I'm brand new to this and am trying my best to get things started but have hit a stumbling block. I have one minor question and one big question. For reference, I'm using an R4I-SDHC 3DS with the RTS on the box (red box).

1) This was asked a few pages back, but I don't think the poster got a definitive answer. When I follow the instructions for YMenu in the "R4i-SDHC YSMenu" folder, the primary kernel instructions tell me to "Extract the files from the DSONEi SDHC YSMenu folder and copy to root of your µSD." Is this a mistake? The "DSONEi SDHC YSMenu" folder does not contain R4.dat. Should these instructions instead read "Extract the files from the R4i-SDHC YSMenu folder and copy to root of your µSD?"

2) Now for my big question. I acquired what I think is the correct kernel from the flashcart's website, a file called "R4i-3DS V1.85b English.zip." When I extract the archive, I see numerous files and folders as follows: (edit: the forum's not allowing me to attach or provide links to my imgur screenshot because I'm a new member). One of the files is called R4.dat, just like the YMenu file. (imgur address suffix: 0ElfOnl)

If I click into the "R4i-3DS V1.85b English" folder, I see this: (can't post link or image)

What exactly is the kernel I'm looking for? Is it everything (i.e. all files and folders)? Just the R4.dat file? If I copy that R4.dat file into the root of my µSD as instructed, won't it just overwrite the R4.dat file I copied from the YMenu folder in the previous step?

Very confused by all this; any help is much appreciated!

You should overwrite the files. That's the point. The previous step is probably meant to upgrade the firmware on the chip before installing this. Boot the cart once with the latest firmware update files on your microSD (not all carts require this type of update, I don't think, but it's best to do it in case yours does, I suppose). You should be using the R4i-SDHC files, yes. Replace anything it asks you to and you should be up and running if you did everything right.

What I mean is to use the files from here *after* the official kernel is in place, to be clear, overwriting whatever is included with the official kernel/firmware package that you are asked to.

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,
Reactions: Reggie10

Reggie10

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should overwrite the files. That's the point. The previous step is probably meant to upgrade the firmware on the chip before installing this. Boot the cart once with the latest firmware update files on your microSD (not all carts require this type of update, I don't think, but it's best to do it in case yours does, I suppose). You should be using the R4i-SDHC files, yes. Replace anything it asks you to and you should be up and running if you did everything right.

What I mean is to use the files from here *after* the official kernel is in place, to be clear, overwriting whatever is included with the official kernel/firmware package that you are asked to.

Thanks for the quick reply. Between your help and this Youtube tutorial I found (which I can't link but it's called "How to remove R4 Timebomb 2018!") I think I should be good.

Once I confirm everything's working, I just drop my .nds files into the Games folder and go crazy, I'm assuming? Save game functionality just works automatically without any further setup?

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply. Between your help and this Youtube tutorial I found (which I can't link but it's called "How to remove R4 Timebomb 2018!") I think I should be good.

Once I confirm everything's working, I just drop my .nds files into the Games folder and go crazy, I'm assuming? Save game functionality just works automatically without any further setup?

Should work without a problem. Give it a shot.

DrakeLyon

Console Perfectionist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found my R4 (3DS Upgrade) SDHC Revolution Gold Pro 2020, one of the ones from r4isdhc.com, and it no longer works. I discovered quite late about the time bomb. Any way to fix this? I've tried so many things in hopes that I could fix it but nothing has worked. The files here so far have done nothing, so I'm wondering if I missed something.

EDIT:: Nevermind, it finally worked. Must have just been a little loose.

Last edited by DrakeLyon,

Shalad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone,

For those who have a R4 SDHC (from r4sdhc·com), RGF's YSMenu won't work correctly.

I managed to get an old original YSMenu that I patched with RGF's DAT files to fix some games.
YSMenu will start automatically after boot.

Format your microSD card and extract all the files to the root of your card.
Put all your nds files in Games folder

This version should work on some R4 Clones too but I have not tested.

Attachments

• R4SDHC YSMENU.rar
    4 MB · Views: 133

Shalad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Also, for some flashcards, RGF's YSMenu is just restarting indefinitely (bootloop) or display white screen
You can try to fix this issue : Open YSMenu.ini file, uncomment line 16, set AUTO_BOOT to 0.

Jiyorude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1TbT9Ck
(right click -> open in new tab)
1TbT9Ck
1TbT9Ck

I have a r4 gold from r4sdhc.com - 2020 version. I used the right kernel from the download in the front of the topic and updated the cheats. Bomberman touch shows up on the dsi main menu, but once I open the game I get this error. Running 1.4.5J and DSi is not hacked yet. Currently in the process of preparation for doing so.

Can someone help me to get this set up?

Last edited by Jiyorude,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a r4 gold from r4sdhc.com - 2020 version. I used the right kernel from the download in the front of the topic and updated the cheats. Bomberman touch shows up on the dsi main menu, but once I open the game I get this error. Running 1.4.5J and DSi is not hacked yet. Currently in the process of preparation for doing so.
The pictures you posted are broken. If you can't post more, write down directly what message it gives you.
My guess is that the recent firmware of the DSi is blocking your flashcart. To unlock it you should install Memory Pit, TWL++ and Unlaunch.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Jiyorude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It does not give a message. It shows a white screen with a red SD card logo that says: "? MENU" Tried placing the DLL files also in system, but to no avail. Someone on discord said it might be a dstt clone

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, it's the R4 Gold Pro (3DS) - 2020 edition. I added all the photos here:
Copy these files contained in the .zip archive to the root of the microSD.

Attachments

• R4i-SDHC YSMenu.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 143
Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: brenopapito

PinkCelebi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This contains the complete ysmenu files for r4i-sdhc clones.
Thank you, I was trying to use the files in the OP but they weren't working (would give me a white screen and a ?DAT icon).

What's different between these files and the ones in the OP? Just has an R4.dat?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work