I'm going through a little saga making my R4 flashcart work. (YSmenu rom loading failed errcode: -1)

GabrielFA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
- Be me
- Buy cheapest R4 on the internet
- Go try to install the correct kernel thinking is going to be really easy
- Spend a whole day trying zillions of different kernels always getting the "?menu" or "error" screens
- Had already decided to give up and turn that useless piece of plastic into a keyring or something
- At 11pm was already about to sleep when the seller replied to my message asking for the correct kernel
- Downloaded the kernel from r4i-sdhc dot com
- It finally worked showing up the menu
- Games still not working. Multiple errors every time i tried playing a rom
- Tried lots of solutions like changing the date to avoid time bomb and the title of the files to take out special characters
- Still getting every game stuck on load screen
- Downloaded YS menu
- IT FINALLY WORKED. I could get to run the few games i put in the sd card to test it
- So, i tought since it was working, it was time to put all the roms i've been downloading since i bought the cart and was waiting for it to arrive. (Just 152 games, not really much you know)
- The games don't work anymore, even the ones i was able to run before. Everytime i try to run a game i get "rom loading failed errcode: -1 please reset system"
- Create an account on gbatemp to desperately beg for help

I just don't want to give up at this point after getting so close to get it to work

I'm attaching a picture of the cart. That little bastard is so cheap the label came with the wrong cut and not even glued

EDIT:
- I formatted the sd card and repeated the process that worked the first time
- I put only 2 games in the card and it worked
- When i put the other 150 games the same error started happening again

Is it a problem with the number of games? Is there a chance that it's just a single specific game file causing this?

It sucks because i still have my old 2gb TT cart working perfectly and the only reason i bought this new one with 32gb support is because i wanted to have tons of games loaded in the same cart without having to ration memory

LAST UPDATE (at least by now)
I deleted all the games and got back to having only few of them in the sd card and it's all working perfectly fine. I'm gonna be putting the games little by little in the cart by now so i hope i can figure if it's a problem with a specific file or with the amount of games

Attachments

• IMG_20231205_102823724.jpg
    IMG_20231205_102823724.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited by GabrielFA,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have the exact same r4 with YSMenu installed on a 32 gb micro SD. It works quite well and compatibility with titles is good (but not total). The simplest and most obvious solution is to put the roms in different folders created in the root of the SD, divided by category (rpg, action, fps, sport, shooter, platform etc.) or in alphabetical order.

GabrielFA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have the exact same r4 with YSMenu installed on a 32 gb micro SD. It works quite well and compatibility with titles is good (but not total). The simplest and most obvious solution is to put the roms in different folders created in the root of the SD, divided by category (rpg, action, fps, sport, shooter, platform etc.) or in alphabetical order.
I'm not having any problems right now with around 12 games in the sd card but if have this problem again as i put more games i'm going to try it
Post automatically merged:

I expect the problem is related to the limit on the number of long filenames you can have in the root directory.

So yes, even just putting everything into one subfolder would likely solve the problem.
The games were already in one subfolder so i don't think it's the problem

Reactions: Nikokaro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto