Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

SonicFan26

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off I want to thank all the hard work everybody has been doing with Vita Homebrews and Emulators, being able to play classic Sonic games on the go is amazing.

Now about Sonic the Hedgehog 2, there's a little thing that bugs me about Green Hill Zone, that line at the bottom of the screen of misaligned pixels. I find it distracting and annoying, so I did a little tinkering in the video settings and thought I would share with everyone. I'm sure there are people who can probably figure this out on their own, but for all the people who are new to retroarch (including myself) this could be helpful if your uncomfortable messing around with different settings.

What you do is bring up the quick menu within the game and back out to the main menu, then go to settings and video. In the video settings I set aspect ratio index to "custom" and change my custom viewport width to "960" or "640" (if you want the ratio 4:3) and custom viewport height to "550". This will just barely hide that line at the bottom without ruining the HUD and it looks great. Now if you have the viewport width set to "640" you might have to adjust the custom viewport X to center up the screen. Also turn on Integer Scale when adjusting the width and height which will move it up quicker to 960 x 448 and then turn off Integer Scale to manually bring 448 up to 550. I've got some pictures of the settings and results to show you.

https://imgur.com/a/MIXOS

https://imgur.com/rEuUGR1

https://imgur.com/XvBAmx1

One more thing when you beat Green Hill Zone you can set the height to 543 for the rest of the game to give you the whole image, only the first Zone has that line at the bottom, enjoy!

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Does theFl0w's PS1 bubble trick still work on 3.60? If so, we only actually need an ePSP kernel exploit, not a PS1 exploit as well.

*Shaft head tilt*

...Er, PS1 bubble trick?

*Goes off for learning*

Oh! Um, since all that the bubble injection involves FTPing into the system, then it SHOULD work!
In fact, since I have my modded PSP 3k... hmm.
Whelp, since there's no new nightly once more, I'll give this a quick swing. No harm in doing so, right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, that's always been a thing with Sanic 2. Haha. But that's one way of going about things~

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
*Shaft head tilt*

...Er, PS1 bubble trick?

*Goes off for learning*

Oh! Um, since all that the bubble injection involves FTPing into the system, then it SHOULD work!
In fact, since I have my modded PSP 3k... hmm.
Whelp, since there's no new nightly once more, I'll give this a quick swing. No harm in doing so, right?
The PS1 bubble trick by thefl0w requires an ePSP kernel exploit however, which is why it doesn't work straight away on 3.60.

However, if the actual PS1 bubble trick itself is still unpatched on 3.60 (I believe this to be the case) and we're simply waiting for somebody to release an ePSP kernel exploit for 3.60, then great - it means we don't need another PS1 exploit in addition to the ePSP exploit.

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The PS1 bubble trick by thefl0w requires an ePSP kernel exploit however, which is why it doesn't work straight away on 3.60.

However, if the actual PS1 bubble trick itself is still unpatched on 3.60 (I believe this to be the case) and we're simply waiting for somebody to release an ePSP kernel exploit for 3.60, then great - it means we don't need another PS1 exploit in addition to the ePSP exploit.

Then good news: The Bubble cloning does work (Tested with Klonoa - Door to Phantomile if it wasn't obvious enough).
(I'm so original with the icon)
67be240ec3.jpg

...Aaaand of course the game itself doesn't work.
e8c3ff5020.jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would like to take this post to THANKS SeongGino for making this thread and being helpful/supportive with everyone.

Thx bro!!

...O-oh please, you flatter me. (^^;;
It's not like it's much, really.

NEW NIGHTLY:
We lost a whole 0.1mb on the latest upload.
c56a25596d.gif

That is all.

*Five minutes later*
Yep, no differences. Carry on.

Last edited by SeongGino,
Reactions: JimmyZ and MKKhanzo

Niko_of_Death

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega CD save loading doesn't seem to be working with Genesis Plus GX, at least using the preexisting SNATCHER files I have.

Also cool to see you Seong, haven't seen ya in a long time.

Last edited by Niko_of_Death,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Sega CD save loading doesn't seem to be working with Genesis Plus GX, at least using the preexisting SNATCHER files I have.

As stated, current in-game saving is sporadic when it chooses to work. Recommended to use Save-States as a backup.

Also cool to see you Seong, haven't seen ya in a long time.

Aww... (^^;; It's super neat to see you as well! Been literally forever...

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So apparently the latest nightly was uploaded with more than a 2mb size difference in the ZIP, but currently the download is bugged.

Things are happening...?

EDIT: New Core!(?)

DeSMuME has been added to the latest nightly (Apparently).

Last edited by SeongGino,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
For me too

Which probably means like all the other recently published cores, it's not functioning.
Hrmm...

Yeah my 64GB memcard completely died on me in like October (and my hard drive that had all my backups) so I hadn't used my vita until henkaku came out.

Well, good to know! (Obviously not GOOD but... y'know)

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
First off, new Nightly, new cores!

DeSMuME and TyrQuake have been added!
...Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Quake doesn't load levels...
8167bdea3a.jpg
(Crashes at initializing Network it seems...)

...And DeSMuME itself crashes, but in this case, via a standard Vita System error.
48cd7d9143.jpg

So basically, by Vita standards, the core doesn't even function and doesn't even boot the application.

Reconzero51

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order for sram saves to work, make sure to close the emulator by using the menu, quit retroarch. If you hard close it the sram will NOT save

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
In order for sram saves to work, make sure to close the emulator by using the menu, quit retroarch. If you hard close it the sram will NOT save

Actually, no, I've done this multiple times (Please see: FCEUmm save testing), and it STILL only saves about... half the time.

Is there any way to make the retroarch gpsp and picodrive emulators work. They crash everytime I load any roms.

Aaaand, again, no, as far as I'm concerned these are core bugs that cannot be circumvented until they are actually fixed.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
People shouldn't panic. The 3DS version went through the same teething problems of cores not working, cores sharing the same titleID etc. It all got fixed eventually.
Exactly we should remember that RetroArch not even was released yet, as VPK.
All we have are developer snapshots and nothing more.
Developing something such complex needs time even when its mostly "just" porting.

Reactions: Shadowfied

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    cearp @ cearp: still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm