Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Here's how it basically works and why you need Youtube, MH4U or Smash Bros: basically, there's an XML file included with certain cores that need extra memory. That XML file tells the core to "piggyback" off of another system app to get access to that memory. If I remember correctly, YouTube, Smash Bros, and MH4U were chosen due to the fact that they each use up a significant amount of system memory; the XML file has the title IDs of each app/game listed and tells the core to piggyback off of the first available one.

That's my basic understanding of it, but hopefully someone with a bit more technical knowledge can chime in. :)

ALSO: it doesn't matter what *hax you use, as those *hax are just entrypoints into the Homebrew Loader itself.

For 3dsx homebrew, I think it's more because of the way way the hax payload(s) actually work (as far as I understand): before it runs any homebrew, it uses gspwn (a way of injecting code or data into places you usually can't) to effectively hijack the application it runs under. So instead of running MH4U for example, you end up running a homebrew application. The downside to this, is if you only have small applications available, the max homebrew size can only be that size, or smaller. MAME and FBA full require around 10MB of code space to run, but a lot of 3DS games and apps are well below this, limiting known options to MH4U, Smash, their demos (I think only the MH4U demo has been tested though?), and Youtube.

With CIAs, that's all entirely unnecessary, you can have pretty much as much code as you want.

Last edited by daxtsu,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@Drak0rex They can all do it on platforms where rotation is working, but it isn't yet on 3DS. My understanding is that older MAME versions (like 2000) had hardcoded rotation settings, so the picture is actually rotated before it "gets to" RetroArch (and so RA doesn't have to perform any rotation operations). Later versions output the image unrotated and they are expected to be rotated to vertical by RetroArch, but again, that's not working on 3DS.

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I can run the PAL Mario Bros Classic just fine on quickNES so I personally think you ether found a bad dump of the ROM or the ROM is just incompatible with quickNES.
It's a problem with the game actually since it's a glitchy mess when run on an NTSC console. I thought you might have been able to change the region on quickNES like you could do with many other emulators.

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone managed to get a 2 player version of TMNT TiT to run at full speed? Alternatively, is it possible to pull up the in-emulator menu (not sure the exact term for it) in Mame2000 like you can in Mame2003 with the ZR button and remap the p2,3,4 inputs that way?

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Where do you set the key binds for fast forward and rewind? I can't find them digging through the menu.

Question, guys: I set up gpsp on my husband's n3ds and it keeps kicking back the error: "Does not have enough samples for moniter refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames." It then freezes and we have to restart the 3ds.

It's from the Nov. 14 build, and it's being run on a N3DS on 10.3 through Ironhax.
This is happening to me too. Only in gpsp and I can't get full speed GBA with mGBA. N3DS, 9.5 Emunand, 11/19 build, cia install. Can anyone using gPSP on a N3DS tell which build they're using?
e: This problem might be solved with the gba bios!

The OP is fantastic even if out of date. Also here:
  • *pcsx (PS1 emulator, .cia is needed for this one)x (unless you use the .cia)
    • (you can get near full speed with cia version on new 3DS, by disabling Audio/video synch (Settings>Audio>Audio Sync Enable OFF and setting sound resampler (Settings>Audio) to "Nearest") (DONT FORGET TO SET IT BACK TO NORMAL AFTERWARDS SINCE RETROARCH CONFIG IS SHARED ACROSS CORES FOR NOW)
The second bit should be Settings>Driver>Audio Driver.

Last edited by Heran Bago,

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Where do you set the key binds for fast forward and rewind? I can't find them digging through the menu.

This is happening to me too. Only in gpsp and I can't get full speed GBA with mGBA. N3DS, 9.5 Emunand, 11/19 build, cia install. Can anyone using gPSP on a N3DS tell which build they're using?

Have you got the [correct] bios? Taken from the slightly (and give em a break there, things can change on a nightly basis) out of date OP:

gba_bios.bin (16384 bytes large, MD5 sum: a860e8c0b6d573d191e4ec7db1b1e4f6) (IT'S EASY TO FIND A FAULTY BIOS, SO PLEASE CHECK)

People keep saying Nov 8th seems most stable for the nightlies as a whole, so try that, but I reckon you've either not got the bios for it, or got the wrong one..

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you got the [correct] bios? Taken from the slightly (and give em a break there, things can change on a nightly basis) out of date OP:

People keep saying Nov 8th seems most stable for the nightlies as a whole, so try that, but I reckon you've either not got the bios for it, or got the wrong one..
I straight-up did not have the bios. Go me. Thanks for the word of warning.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two things. First off, are save states compatible across cores? I'm running an older version, and was thinking of updating. However, I'd rather only have one of each system's emulator since the .CIA files are so hard to tell apart on the Home Menu. If I decide to swap to a different core to emulate a particular system, I'd like to know that I can continue playing where I left off instead of starting over.

Second question is, which cores are currently the best choices for 9.2 SysNAND, 9.5 EmuNAND New 3DS? From what I can guess, I'd want to go with the following...

NEStopia (NES)
CatSFC (Super NES) - I want to play Tales of Phantasia, and Super Mario RPG at as close to full speed as possible
Picodrive (Genesis + Sega CD) Genesis Plus, regardless of for 3DS or PC, isn't quite as compatible with hacks. Example: Sonic 3 + Amy crashes on GX, but works on PC Picodrive core
gpSP (GBA) - Is there a difference between this and mGBA?
PCSX Rearmed (PSX) - I want to play Ape Escape, Grandia, Musashi, and Threads of Fate at as close to full speed as possible

It's a bit confusing when the same setup has multiple cores for the same system, all of which with what seems to be different compatibility. Like I said, when using the .CIA versions, they all have the same banner and no label on anything to differenciate them other than what system they emulate, or at least with the version I'm on. (I remember downloading the version I'm on now about the day after Super Mario RPG was reported to work on CatSFC, but I found it ran annoyingly slowly at the time.) I'm a bit behind info-wise since my Internet's been down for the past week, and this thread seems to update fairly quickly, making it hard to play catch-up.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

andremario81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone managed to get a 2 player version of TMNT TiT to run at full speed? Alternatively, is it possible to pull up the in-emulator menu (not sure the exact term for it) in Mame2000 like you can in Mame2003 with the ZR button and remap the p2,3,4 inputs that way?
It runs full speed for me on one player. I don't have anyone else to help me test out the two player mode. I used mame 2000 and u can run it full speed on one player but unfortunately u can not bring up the in game menu with zr. U CAN do this in mame 2003 0.78 however. It runs 59 fps. I'm using .3dsx version.

Last edited by andremario81,

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It runs full speed for me on one player. I don't have anyone else to help me test out the two player mode. I used mame 2000 and u can run it full speed on one player but unfortunately u can not bring up the in game menu with zr. U CAN do this in mame 2003 0.78 however. It runs 59 fps. I'm using .3dsx version.
I'm asking about the two player version because it lets you pick your turtle.

solitonmedic

Double Trouble
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having troubles with Startropics on Nestopia, there's no sound and I can't really seem to make a save file after naming.

EDIT: I'm on 2.5*hax on 10.3.0U SmashHax/OoT3DHax.

Last edited by solitonmedic,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
NEStopia (NES)
CatSFC (Super NES) - I want to play Tales of Phantasia, and Super Mario RPG at as close to full speed as possible
Picodrive (Genesis + Sega CD) Genesis Plus, regardless of for 3DS or PC, isn't quite as compatible with hacks. Example: Sonic 3 + Amy crashes on GX, but works on PC Picodrive core
PCSX Rearmed (PSX) - I want to play Ape Escape, Grandia, Musashi, and Threads of Fate at as close to full speed as possible

It's a bit confusing when the same setup has multiple cores for the same system, all of which with what seems to be different compatibility. Like I said, when using the .CIA versions, they all have the same banner and no label on anything to differenciate them other than what system they emulate, or at least with the version I'm on. (I remember downloading the version I'm on now about the day after Super Mario RPG was reported to work on CatSFC, but I found it ran annoyingly slowly at the time.) I'm a bit behind info-wise since my Internet's been down for the past week, and this thread seems to update fairly quickly, making it hard to play catch-up.
You're basically right. I believe FCEUMM is the way to go with the NES, unless Nestopia's screen issues have recently been fixed.

gpSP is faster than mGBA due to supporting dynamic recompilation on your setup.

I think Super Mario RPG is supposed to crash at a certain point on all versions of CATSFC. I suspect the PocketSnes test build might be preferable for that specific game.

GorrillaRIBS

Gigyas became tame
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Two things. First off, are save states compatible across cores? I'm running an older version, and was thinking of updating. However, I'd rather only have one of each system's emulator since the .CIA files are so hard to tell apart on the Home Menu. If I decide to swap to a different core to emulate a particular system, I'd like to know that I can continue playing where I left off instead of starting over.

Second question is, which cores are currently the best choices for 9.2 SysNAND, 9.5 EmuNAND New 3DS? From what I can guess, I'd want to go with the following...

NEStopia (NES)

Pocketsnes runs at ~60fps for both of those games on N3DS, but sound is a little messed up. It's not included in the nighties but there's a link a few pages back to a .cia & .3dsx

gpsp IS faster, but mgba's WAY more accurate, so it might be worth installing both for compatibility.

also using FCEUMM for nes, it's just been more stable for me (NEStopia always crashed, but that was a couple months ago so I'm sure it's fixed)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1