Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

trancepara

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But then I also wanted to get nxengine and here is where I don't understand how to launch it, I did put it in my 3ds folder as with quicknes, it displays in my homebrew launcher but when I boot it, it just opens the retroarch menu, and I see no option to start it, "load content" opens my directory and nothing else.

I'm having a noob stroke right now, halp? :wacko:

I just put CaveStory folder with everything inside my ROM directory. When you press Load Content and nothing shows up, press A will give you your list of directories and then you can find your doukutsu.exe, give it a second, and it will load.

Also if you are on n3ds I suggest you use nestopia instead. It will run full speed and is far more accurate.

Reactions: Tony_93

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just put CaveStory folder with everything inside my ROM directory. When you press Load Content and nothing shows up, press A will give you your list of directories and then you can find your doukutsu.exe, give it a second, and it will load.

Also if you are on n3ds I suggest you use nestopia instead. It will run full speed and is far more accurate.

Thank you! Specially for the Nestopia recommendation, colors look so much better than quicknes.

GorrillaRIBS

Gigyas became tame
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I got retroarch in my 10.3 N3DS for NES emulation, so I placed the quicknes into my 3DS folder and retroarch at the root of my SD card, everything works perfectly fine.

But then I also wanted to get nxengine and here is where I don't understand how to launch it, I did put it in my 3ds folder as with quicknes, it displays in my homebrew launcher but when I boot it, it just opens the retroarch menu, and I see no option to start it, "load content" opens my directory and nothing else.

2048 doesn't even show up in my homebrew menu.

I'm having a noob stroke right now, halp? :wacko:

You need the original cave story files (you can find them on the tribute site, they're freeware), once those are on the 3ds just run the .exe like you would a a rom in quicknes

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No one?.....

Dunno about MAME/FBA (don't use those) but the most stable build seems to be the Nov 8th (I'm on the 14th with no issues though)

NuikopeaDemon

Hello Darkness
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Do the 3DSX builds of MAME even work? Every time I try to launch them it hangs on a nice red screen, so I can't even get to the menus...
Yes they do work I use the 8th November nightly and do you have the Special Demo of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on your 3ds or YouTube because you need any of those to work MAME

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes they do work I use the 8th November nightly and do you have the Special Demo of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on your 3ds or YouTube because you need any of those to work MAME

Luckily for me I do. I grabbed it when smealum announced Tubehax and still haven't deleted it after Nintendo killed off that exploit.

So basically the MAME core is picky and an official app similar to YouTube needs to be launched before it can actually do anything?

NuikopeaDemon

Hello Darkness
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Luckily for me I do. I grabbed it when smealum announced Tubehax and still haven't deleted it after Nintendo killed off that exploit.

So basically the MAME core is picky and an official app similar to YouTube needs to be launched before it can actually do anything?

You will probably have to update YouTube :/ or you could use Special Demo Monster Hunter 4

Well considering that the MAME Emulators are huge they need another app to piggyback for Ram Usuage I believe to make MAME work

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will probably have to update YouTube :/ or you could use Special Demo Monster Hunter 4

Well considering that the MAME Emulators are huge they need another app to piggyback for Ram Usuage I believe to make MAME work

Unfortunately, I'm on firmware 9.9 on a New 3DS, which means I can't access the eShop to update YouTube. This also means I can't grab the Monster Hunter 4 demo either.

Could ironhax work by any chance?

NuikopeaDemon

Hello Darkness
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Unfortunately, I'm on firmware 9.9 on a New 3DS, which means I can't access the eShop to update YouTube. This also means I can't grab the Monster Hunter 4 demo either.

Could ironhax work by any chance?

Hmmm okay... And I don't know about Ironhax as I'm using Cubic Ninja

And to make things worse I can't even use Cubic Ninja yet because the Playloads for 10.3 don't work

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's how it basically works and why you need Youtube, MH4U or Smash Bros: basically, there's an XML file included with certain cores that need extra memory. That XML file tells the core to "piggyback" off of another system app to get access to that memory. If I remember correctly, YouTube, Smash Bros, and MH4U were chosen due to the fact that they each use up a significant amount of system memory; the XML file has the title IDs of each app/game listed and tells the core to piggyback off of the first available one.

That's my basic understanding of it, but hopefully someone with a bit more technical knowledge can chime in. :)

ALSO: it doesn't matter what *hax you use, as those *hax are just entrypoints into the Homebrew Loader itself.

Last edited by kenseiden,

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's how it basically works and why you need Youtube, MH4U or Smash Bros: basically, there's an XML file included with certain cores that need extra memory. That XML file tells the core to "piggyback" off of another system app to get access to that memory. If I remember correctly, YouTube, Smash Bros, and MH4U were chosen due to the fact that they each use up a significant amount of system memory; the XML file has the title IDs of each app/game listed and tells the core to piggyback off of the first available one.

That's my basic understanding of it, but hopefully someone with a bit more technical knowledge can chime in. :)

If Smash Brothers works, then that's good. I own a physical copy of it.

Really wish the eShop hadn't been taken away from us as soon as we got it back. I'm trying my hardest to stay on firmware version 9.9 just because I'm hoping somebody finds a workaround or a really cool kernel exploit pops up, but that's wishful thinking and I'm digressing.

How well does the MAME core even run? I'd kind of like to Ms. Pac-Man with the speed hack and that'd be good enough for me, but I'd love to see Snow Bros. also working.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on o3DS, so MAME 2000 is basically my only choice for remotely playable arcade games, haha. Even then, I can confirm that Ms. Pac Man and Snow Bros do run full speed on o3DS (although Snow Bros is lacking sound); since you're on N3DS, you'll get better results for sure.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I may make a suggestion, there's a Sega Genesis version of Snow Bros. that's pretty close to the arcade game. You shouldn't have any trouble running it in Picodrive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1