• Views 16,606
  • Replies 68
  • Likes 6

Thomas12345

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At the moment, the only option is to stay on sysnand 9.x if you want to continue playing the games. We need a fix from gateway. There is currently no way to use <512kb or >6.x encrypted dumped saves.

Dumping the game will get you your save, but it won't work because >6.x encrypted saves won't decrypt properly in Gateway mode.

You won't lose anything. The issues arise when you:
  • Downgrade from 9.x to 4.x or vice-versa (retail saves using >6.x encrpytion show as corrupt)
  • Try to load a dumped save in Gateway mode
The error is normal behavior because it's a card 2 game. You get the corrupted save because dumped saves using >6.x encryption don't work in gateway mode, which is what this thread is about. The solution is to play the retail cart on sysnand or classic mode, until GW fixes Gateway mode.

I read that if you have Powersaves, it can decrypt the >6.x encrypted save. I don't have a Powersave and will never buy one, so I can't really try it out. But this post confirms that it'll work:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/problem-with-pokemon-alpha-sapphire.378362/#post-5274406

I'm not a big pokemon fan, so i'll probably just move my pokemon to Pokebank and start a new game (or just use the community save lol)

0bvious

Trophies
XP
Country

Thomas12345

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does powersaves work with anything other than pokemon? For £9.99 I am tempted

Powersaves does have cheats for other games (works for cartridge only, no eshop). As for decrypting saves for use with GW, that I'm not sure

and where did you see it selling for 9.99? that's pretty cheap

trappedinlimbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does the new save encryption include firmware 6.x, or does it start with 7.x? more specifically, if i have an animal crossing new leaf cartridge that was last played on sysnand 6.x, will i have to start a new file to play it in classic mode on emunand 9.4?

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I REALLY NEED TO MAKE A GUIDE.

What has the SysNAND-version to do with the EmuNAND-version, I really don't understand.
The key for encrypting and decrypting saves using >6.x encryption is loaded on boot into sysnand and doesn't get reloaded when emunand takes over.
does the new save encryption include firmware 6.x, or does it start with 7.x? more specifically, if i have an animal crossing new leaf cartridge that was last played on sysnand 6.x, will i have to start a new file to play it in classic mode on emunand 9.4?
You will only have issues if the game uses >6.x save encryption. Animal Crossing doesn't, as it has firmware 4.5.0 on-cart.

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The key for encrypting and decrypting saves using >6.x encryption is loaded on boot into sysnand and doesn't get reloaded when emunand takes over.
Everything makes sense now. I hope Gateway team will really fix this.

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I REALLY NEED TO MAKE A GUIDE.

You will only have issues if the game uses >6.x save encryption. Animal Crossing doesn't, as it has firmware 4.5.0 on-cart.

What about .cia games? How are those .sav files encrypted? If the game in question has 3.x on-cart, is there any way to inject the sav into the .cia version? If necessary, I can install CFW and back up the cart's save with savedatafiler.

Reactions: Margen67

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For games that use the 6.x save encryption, can I still use them on my retail games when not in Gateway Mode? What if I save game while in Gateway Mode? Confused how this works... Thoughts appreciated :)

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For games that use the 6.x save encryption, can I still use them on my retail games when not in Gateway Mode? What if I save game while in Gateway Mode? Confused how this works... Thoughts appreciated :)

It's so confusing because it depends on the conditions.
If you are on the same sysnand version as the one in which you created the saves, they should still work when in classic mode and regular sysnand.
This also only applies to retail carts, not cias.

hero3210

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there should be no problem with retail cards?
I'm confused

I have a 3DS XL which was on 9.2, played my retail Super Smash on it, GW released, downgraded to 4.5, now whenever I play Super Smash in ClassicEmu mode it says save is corrupt.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

themperror

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm able to play locally too, but the transfer tool doesn't see my save
I havent been able to send my cartridge save to .cia, I think thats impossible because you cant see normal card games in emunand so the tool and savedatafiler wont work, export your save in gatewaymenu and use the game as a .3d(s/z) (preferably backed up yourself as you need the same header)

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Have anyone tried this sequence?
- get Save Data Transfer Tool from eShop
- backup sysNAND
- format emuNAND
- downgrade
- install DevMenu/BigBlueMenu
- install CIA version of a game
- restore sysNAND
- move save from card to SD with Save Data Transfer Tool
- downgrade
- restore the save from SD with SaveDataFiler to the card (or just use CIA installed, if working)

BTW is there a list of CIA-compatible roms?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there should be no problem with retail cards?
I'm confused

I have a 3DS XL which was on 9.2, played my retail Super Smash on it, GW released, downgraded to 4.5, now whenever I play Super Smash in ClassicEmu mode it says save is corrupt.

Anyone knows how to fix this?
Unfortunatly, the answer for the moment is restore your sysnand to 9.2. Email gateway and complain.

Jurassic5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I havent been able to send my cartridge save to .cia, I think thats impossible because you cant see normal card games in emunand so the tool and savedatafiler wont work, export your save in gatewaymenu and use the game as a .3d(s/z) (preferably backed up yourself as you need the same header)

Unfortunately I never used a cart to play. My brother has the cart I ripped the rom from, and it's probably not possible to backup his save, restore mine, transfer to the wii u, then restore his save. He plays on a 3ds above 7.0, so I don't wanna risk it. You should be able to use the transfer tool in classic mode

TheBroCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it worth keeping a list of ones that work? I've done a few games you haven't done so can add my findings.

Retail dumped saves that worked:
  • [5.1.0U] [Card 1] [512kb] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl
  • [2.2.0E] [Card 1] [512kb] Mario Kart 7
  • [4.5.0E] [Card 1] [512kb] Fire Emblem Awakening
Retail dumped saves that didn't work:
  • [8.1.0U] [Card 1] [512kb] Super Smash Bros. 3DS
  • [7.2.0U] [Card 2] [000kb] Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
  • [6.2.0U] [Card 1] [128kb] LoZ: A Link Between Worlds
  • [6.1.0U] [Card 2] [000kb] Pokemon X
  • [2.2.0U] [Card 1] [128kb] Super Mario 3D Land
  • [1.1.0E] [Card 1] [128kb] LoZ: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • [2.1.0E] [Card 1] [128kb] StarFox 64 3D
These 128kb saves, is there anything we can do to change them to 512kb saves?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1