Tutorial  Updated

Remote Play on Unactivated PS4's

This guide is now deprecated due to new and more user friendly methods. Please see X-Project, OrbisMan and SiSTRo's ps4ren for more information.

PSTV & Vita only!

There has been some amount of confusion regarding how to do this, as well as what I consider undeserved FUD, so I decided to create a post with detailed instructions. Follow these directions carefully. As with all console hacking endeavours there is a possibility that things can go wrong and there are no guarantees implied or otherwise that you will not get banned or break something. YOU WILL LOSE SAVES & PROFILE DATA IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BACKUP. So do create backups first.

This short guide is adapted from the original Russian tutorial found Here. Also, thanks to u/kiru2488 who seems to be the first person to bring attention to it in the english speaking scene, and who I first heard of it through his post Here.

IDU mode WILL begin system updates WITHOUT WARNING or any prompts at all if the PS4 is connected to the internet. Disabling Internet capability is VITAL.
Back-Up your user data, if you can isolate figure out what causes data loss in this process, please contact me via DM or @
Reddit in r/PS4homebrew (u/fuctface)

You will more than likely lose your Save and Profile Data if you haven't yet made backups!
  1. Remove all USB devices from PS4.
  2. Make sure you are able to run payloads via cache mode with network disabled (or use offline method).
  3. Exit to the main menu and select "Profile" -> "Change User".
  4. In the "Name" field, change the name of your user to "User1".

1. Power on the PS4. Go to "Settings" -> "Network" and make sure the "Connect to the Internet" is left unchecked.
  2. Go to your browser (or user guide if applicable) and launch the "HEN" payload.
  3. Go to "Settings" -> "Debug Settings" -> "System" -> "IDU mode", select "On"
  4. Click "OK" to reboot.
  5. Wait until you see "Provide unit with a valid network connection or insert IDU update disc" in the upper right of the screen
  6. Turn controller back on and hold (R1) + (R2) + (L1) + (L2) + (Option) + (UP) until "Staff Mode" is enabled.

1. On your PS4, go to "Settings" -> "Remote Play Connection Settings" and check the box that says "Direct Connection to PS Vita / PS TV System".
  2. Next while still in "Remote Play Connection Settings" choose "Add Device".
  3. On the device you wish to use remote play on (Vita, PSTV, PC) start the Remote Play/PS4 Link application.
  4. On your Vita/PSTV, create a new (direct) connection to the PS4 and enter the pairing code on the Vita/PSTV.
A new user will be created, "User2". Do not delete this user or you will also disable Remote Play for the other profiles.

1. Run "HEN" if "Debug Settings" is unavailable under system settings.
  2. Go to "Settings" -> "Debug Settings" -> "System" -> "IDU mode" and choose "Off" to disable IDU mode.
  3. Click "OK" to reboot.

A Note on PC Remote Play:
I do believe it is possible to get it to work, but you need have both PC and PS4 connected to an access point without internet. A router with the WAN cable unplugged or a similar setup. I have had some success with connecting both PS4 and PC to an ESP8266 flashed with a localhost exploit server. You may also need an older version of the Remote Play application. I don't have anymore time to work on this today but I hope to get it going and I will detail it in a later post.

For those of you who do not have psn on the vita 3.60.
copied from my post at wololo

First install netcheckbypass on vita/pstv
create a psn account on pc

1. set Henkaku DNS (or use vitaupdateblocker)
2. install registryeditor
3. navigate to /config/np1/ and make sure the keys for your email and password blank
4. install uricaller
5. open uricaller and call the uri “psnreg:”
6. if you have HenkakuDNS or Vitaupdateblocker running the app will just work
7. Sign into or Create your PSN Account
Press done and the app will auto-exit and assign your account to the system

On the ps4 as per the Russian site

1. Remove all USB devices from PS4.
2. Make sure you are able to run payloads via cache mode with network disabled (or use offline method).
3. Exit to the main menu and select "Profile" -> "Change User".
4. In the "Name" field, change the name of your user to "User1"

Keep in mind i lost all my save games. Some people claim they don't lose them however. Make a backup just in case.
5. Power on the PS4. Go to "Settings" -> "Network" and make sure the "Connect to the Internet" is left unchecked. I turned off my internet on the router.
6. Go to your browser (or user guide if applicable) and launch the "HEN" payload.
7. Go to "Settings" -> "Debug Settings" -> "System" -> "IDU mode", select "On"
8. Click "OK" to reboot.
9. Wait until you see "Provide unit with a valid network connection or insert IDU update disc" in the upper right of the screen
10. Turn controller back on and hold (R1) + (R2) + (L1) + (L2) + (Option) + (UP) until "Staff Mode" is enabled.
11. On your PS4, go to "Settings" -> "Remote Play Connection Settings" and check the box that says "Direct Connection to PS Vita / PS TV System".
12. Next while still in "Remote Play Connection Settings" choose "Add Device".
13. On the device you wish to use remote play on (Vita, PSTV, PC) start the Remote Play/PS4 Link application.
14. On your Vita/PSTV, create a new (direct) connection to the PS4 and enter the pairing code on the Vita/PSTV.
15. Run "HEN" if "Debug Settings" is unavailable under system settings.
16. Go to "Settings" -> "Debug Settings" -> "System" -> "IDU mode" and choose "Off" to disable IDU mode.
17. Click "OK" to reboot.

Do not delete USER2

(Original)

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well they're pretty clear. They mean exactly what they say in them. And the obvious intention is to highlight important parts of the text. Are you unfamiliar with highlighting? Bold and underlined text also serve the same purpose, although without a cautionary connotation that is clearly warranted in this context.
What I meant is that the color yellow actually makes them harder to see. Important parts are often marked in red instead though.

So, this really works? You dont need to connect your PS4 to the PSN network (just FOR ONCE) with IDU mode?

I know that if we go the normal/legit route without IDU mode, hacks etc. that its nesssary to connect the PS4 atleast one time to the PSN netowork to be able to link it with the PS Vita console (to unlock the Remote Play settings on PS4).
Just tested and worked fine. No need to connect to PSN on the Ps4 at all.

Reactions: deSSy2724

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, this really works? You dont need to connect your PS4 to the PSN network (just FOR ONCE) with IDU mode?

I know that if we go the normal/legit route without IDU mode, hacks etc. that its nesssary to connect the PS4 atleast one time to the PSN netowork to be able to link it with the PS Vita console (to unlock the Remote Play settings on PS4).
Yup it works just like normal remote play. You don't have to connect to PSN even once on your PS4. Mines never been online.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What I meant is that the color yellow actually makes them harder to see. Important parts are often marked in red instead though.

Just tested and worked fine. No need to connect to PSN on the Ps4 at all.
Actually I forgot, I've been using the dark theme for so long I forgot that it's now white by default. I wish you would've just said that in the first place. Thanks though.

Reactions: deSSy2724

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks!

BTW Why do we need to changethe username to "User1"?
It sometimes saves your profile data. It's supposed to work, but it sometimes does not. I did it twice on my console, the first time all my saves etc were fine. The next time I did it (I followed the steps as I wrote this guide) my profile was deleted. I don't think anyone is sure what exactly causes the loss of user data (yet). Although it seems random, very few things that happen in a computer are truly random.

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One last question. Can you now enter the "Remote Play" settings on your PS4 in normal mode (without IDU) or is it still locked/inaccessible?

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A bit irrelevant, but unfortunately I restored my Vita to link to another PSN account (old one was banned and can't use remote play) and now I have a 3.65 Enso without Vitashell. I'm trying to reinstalling it by using qcma + psvimgtool method. But the github of psvimgtool frontend was taken down. Can someone please share your files with me?

Last edited by windhazard,

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One last question. Can you now enter the "Remote Play" settings on your PS4 in normal mode (without IDU) or is it still locked/inaccessible?
Yes, it works even without running the HEN payload. So you can turn your PS4 on remotely like you're supposed to be able to. It is identical to the way it would normally work unless you delete the User2 profile.

@windhazard Which files do you need exactly and how do you need it? Dumped from QCMA?

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, it works even without running the HEN payload. So you can turn your PS4 on remotely like you're supposed to be able to. It is identical to the way it would normally work unless you delete the User2 profile.

@windhazard Which files do you need exactly and how do you need it? Dumped from QCMA?
The pre-compiled psvimgtool-frontend of silicaandpina with easy installer for VitaShell.

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If i back up my saved games, will I be able to restore them afterwards and will they be playable?
It doesn't affect your games, just the actual save files. Yes if you use the backup.bin correctly all your stuff will be saved, and it is fairly likely that if you follow my guide correctly you will not lose anything to begin with. I just want to make very clear to people that it is a possibility, so I use strong warnings in the guide regarding loss of data.

mav2010

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I followed this method as well, a few weeks back using the original Russian guide.

I lost my user account. And even though I had a backup using backup.bin payload, there is no way to recover the save files, since your original user is wiped from the PS4 completely. Putting them back under a new user does not work, they show as corrupted in an game.

The reason for wiping is IMO related to incorrect naming of the profile. I have German language in the PS4, so it has to be „Benutzer1“ instead of „User1“.

By the way: this method also works with the Mac remote play app (latest version without any patching) and also with the R-Play app on iOS. Pretty neat!

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I followed this method as well, a few weeks back using the original Russian guide.

I lost my user account. And even though I had a backup using backup.bin payload, there is no way to recover the save files, since your original user is wiped from the PS4 completely. Putting them back under a new user does not work, they show as corrupted in an game.

The reason for wiping is IMO related to incorrect naming of the profile. I have German language in the PS4, so it has to be „Benutzer1“ instead of „User1“.

By the way: this method also works with the Mac remote play app (latest version without any patching) and also with the R-Play app on iOS. Pretty neat!
What method did you use to backup and restore your saves? I am pretty sure you can use any saves from any users with the correct keystone file although I admit I haven't thoroughly looked into it. Yes, you are correct that if you are using German as your default language you need to use whatever naming convention is used in that language to rename your original profile.

mav2010

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What method did you use to backup and restore your saves? I am pretty sure you can use any saves from any users with the correct keystone file although I admit I haven't thoroughly looked into it. Yes, you are correct that if you are using German as your default language you need to use whatever naming convention is used in that language to rename your original profile.
I just tried to put back the save files into the new User1‘s folder via FTP.

I haven’t looked into keystone files. Is there a tut available? Maybe I can still rescue some of my saves...

mav2010

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just tried to put back the save files into the new User1‘s folder via FTP.

I haven’t looked into keystone files. Is there a tut available? Maybe I can still rescue some of my saves...
Just read into the keystone topic. But it sounds like this is something completely different. It’s about using legit saves on fpkgs.

What I need is to resign a save from one local account to another. Even Save Wizard cannot do that since it relies on PSN accounts.

mav2010

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

This is not true for me. On both User1 and User2 when entering the remote play settings, it only tells me to log in via PSN. I can only change settings/add devices etc. when in IDU mode.

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just read into the keystone topic. But it sounds like this is something completely different. It’s about using legit saves on fpkgs.

What I need is to resign a save from one local account to another. Even Save Wizard cannot do that since it relies on PSN accounts.
If you dumped all of your data then you can restore the account and use your saves from that account. What I was asking is did you use the exploit payload backup.bin as detailed in this post and then rename the files and replace the ones in the corresponding folder with the ones you dumped to USB drive? I believe you then also have to trigger "rebuild database" if it doesn't do so automatically?

This is not true for me. On both User1 and User2 when entering the remote play settings, it only tells me to log in via PSN. I can only change settings/add devices etc. when in IDU mode.
I couldve been more specific here regarding what exactly "works without running the HEN payload" and "is identical to the way it normally works". Once the Vita/PSTV connection is made, it works the way it should (ie. all the local remote play features seem to work).

mav2010

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you dumped all of your data then you can restore the account and use your saves from that account. What I was asking is did you use the exploit payload backup.bin as detailed in this post and then rename the files and replace the ones in the corresponding folder with the ones you dumped to USB drive? I believe you then also have to trigger "rebuild database" if it doesn't do so automatically?

Yes, this is what I did, except for the database rebuild. But I doubt that this would make a difference. With the new local user, I played the game a bit to create a save, then replaced the save files with the ones from the backup. Upon trying to load the saves, they show up as corrupt.

As far as I understood, the saves are somehow encrypted with the „technical“ user name (folder name of the user). And once that user is erased from the system, there is no way to get it back and the saves are useless.

On Psxhax the recommendation was to use the out of the box backup functionality on the PS4 first (the full system one), since this does a backup of the local user. Then later on you can use this to restore the user itself. Afterwards it works to just overwrite the save files with the latest ones.

But a way to resign saves from one local user to another does not (yet) exist...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol