Hacking [release] Use blocked DS flashcards on 3DS, probably N3DS too.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi cearp, I would like to know why that is, technically.
Using my super old CycloDS Evo would be so totally awesome.
As far as I understand, these carts are just masquerading as real DS titles in order to boot, until Nintendo blacklists them.
So why isn't it possible to unblacklist them like you did for the GW blue card?
Thx for any detail.
im not quite cearp, but i can help....basically up until 4.2, nintendo just blacklisted cards that where known to be getting used to bypass the checks....but then in 4.2/4.3 (i think 4.3) they upped the ante and blocked based on the hardware, this was achieved via TWL_FIRM not the ordinary whitelist updates.......so this covered a whole range of cards that use that specific saving mechanism...so even cards that where blocked in say 2.0 could pretty much be technically double blocked....even now the whitelist is bypassed, the TWL firm check still applies, and blocks cards based on the save method

so why cant we do this with TWL_FIRM....well simple, atm there is no way (that i know of at least) to install cia files with a lower version than the currently installed version....(well actually the gateway downgrade achieves it by whatever means)....but yeah spoofing the version number doesnt actually work, it was more of a fluke that by chance a invalid whitelist pretty much just disables the whitelist rather than downgrading it :P

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not quite cearp, but i can help....basically up until 4.2, nintendo just blacklisted cards that where known to be getting used to bypass the checks....but then in 4.2/4.3 (i think 4.3) they upped the ante and blocked based on the hardware, this was achieved via TWL_FIRM not the ordinary whitelist updates.......so this covered a whole range of cards that use that specific saving mechanism...so even cards that where blocked in say 2.0 could pretty much be technically double blocked....even now the whitelist is bypassed, the TWL firm check still applies, and blocks cards based on the save method

so why cant we do this with TWL_FIRM....well simple, atm there is no way (that i know of at least) to install cia files with a lower version than the currently installed version....(well actually the gateway downgrade achieves it by whatever means)....but yeah spoofing the version number doesnt actually work, it was more of a fluke that by chance a invalid whitelist pretty much just disables the whitelist rather than downgrading it :P

Thanks for your input.
It seems cearp did manage to bypass TWL_FIRM, otherwise how could the GW blue card be working on 9.x ?
The Cyclo Evo has never worked on 3DS, since launch..

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thanks for your input.
It seems cearp did manage to bypass TWL_FIRM, otherwise how could the GW blue card be working on 9.x ?
The Cyclo Evo has never worked on 3DS, since launch..
blue card was only blocked due to whitelisting....not the TWL_FIRM block....basically the only cards being blocked by TWL_FIRM are pre 4.3 only cards.....just disabling the whitelist would allow any card blocked between 4.5-9.4 to work on 9.4

Reactions: Margen67

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blue card was only blocked due to whitelisting....not the TWL_FIRM block....basically the only cards being blocked by TWL_FIRM are pre 4.3 only cards.....just disabling the whitelist would allow any card blocked between 4.5-9.4 to work on 9.4
Understood. Got the full picture now, thanks.

Riff89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it's buried somewhere in the thread or if I just am blind and missing it and it's right in front of me, but I can't find the name of the .cia file. was it ever said and I just missed it?

Riff89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, luckily I found it using that website that archives old versions of webpages. in my experience, I didn't need to go to firmware 4.1-4.5 to install the .cia file. just had to make sure the emunand partition wasn't created. I'm on 9.2 and it works great.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this sucks, so in order for me to get this to to work I would now have to downgrade my xl to 4.5, install devmenu to install the cia, then update to 8.1 (because there are no games with 9.x firmware). Am I correct in thinking this way?

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, luckily I found it using that website that archives old versions of webpages. in my experience, I didn't need to go to firmware 4.1-4.5 to install the .cia file. just had to make sure the emunand partition wasn't created. I'm on 9.2 and it works great.

Can you create emunand afterwards?

Riff89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the .cia file installed and the emunand partition is up and running on my sd card. This works completely fine. As long as the .cia file is installed without the emunand partition being created, the two do not interfere with each other.

If you already have emunand, simply back up your sd card, format the sd card with Panasonic SD Formatter (a google search will bring it up), move your files back onto the sd card, install the .cia file, create the emunand partition, then move your files back onto the card once more.

The whole process could take the better part of an hour depending on how much is on your sd card.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have the .cia file installed and the emunand partition is up and running on my sd card. This works completely fine. As long as the .cia file is installed without the emunand partition being created, the two do not interfere with each other.

If you already have emunand, simply back up your sd card, format the sd card with Panasonic SD Formatter (a google search will bring it up), move your files back onto the sd card, install the .cia file, create the emunand partition, then move your files back onto the card once more.

The whole process could take the better part of an hour depending on how much is on your sd card.
or you can just grab a spare SD card from a camera or something, stick the GW launcher on, boot it up, install cia to sysynand, and put your old SD card back in the 3DS :P

Reactions: cearp

Riff89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would work if you want to take the time to look for another sd card. I simply didn't have another available to me, so I worked with what I have. Took a lot less time than scavenging around for another card.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
That would work if you want to take the time to look for another sd card. I simply didn't have another available to me, so I worked with what I have. Took a lot less time than scavenging around for another card.
so yeah it depends on the person, i have plenty of SD cards lying around, so for me that would be much simpler.....but anyone that doesn't have any other SD cards lying around obviously wouldn't find it easier
cearp Have you or anybody else tried using big red menu to uninstall this? and if so, was it successful? Or is this still permanent?
i tried having a look with big red menu....but it was all a bit messy, not much way of telling what was what :P....might have another look at some point

Riff89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's odd is that all these cards websites claim they still support up to the most recent firmware, but the support list in the original post says otherwise. are the companies just lying to make the sale?

bobtheglob101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if anybody's noticed this.. but this process is indeed reversible by using GW Launcher's nifty restore NAND feature. The GW Blue Card was working when the .cia was installed but as soon as I restored a NAND backup that was done prior to installing the .cia the blue card no longer launched.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes that's why yours won't leave me alone