[Release] Snickerstream - Revived! A proper release with lots of improvements and new features.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by RattletraPM, Nov 2, 2017.

1. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Last updated: 10/11/2017 (v0.85b) - Added hardware acceleration, NFC patching, presets and more features!

Yep, Snickerstream's back from the dead and is better than ever, bringing much better performance when streaming, lots of new features, bugfixes and more - all in a proper release this time instead of a mere PoC! (Also, the only reason I'm calling this a beta is because I still want to code in some more stuff, but I feel that this version is stable enough for everyday use!)

If you don't know what Snickerstream is, here's a quote from the readme:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

So, you may ask, what does Snickerstream bring to the table compared to other alternatives? Well, here's list of improvements over NTRViewer:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    And this is this version's full changelog, highlighting what has been added, modified and fixed!

• Snickerstream now supports Direct2D as its rendering library.
      • Direct2D is hardware accelerated if your GPU supports it (if not, it uses to software mode). This means much less CPU usage, more constant RAM usage, less tearing and less dropped frames due to slow hardware, while still requiring no external DLLs and being Wine-friendly.
      • Thanks to it, Snickerstream now works on many more hardware configurations and fullscreen works properly (it isn't an experimental feature anymore!)
      • This means that, as both now support hardware acceleration, Snickerstream should perform at just as good as NTRViewer!
      • In order to use Direct2D in hardware accelerated mode you need a GPU that supports at least Direct3D feature level 9 and has WDDM 1.1 drivers (read: any GPU made during or past 2006 should support it).
      • The minimum requirements to use Direct2D rendering are Windows Vista SP2 (or later) and a graphics card with 128 MB of VRAM (256+ recommended).
    • Although it's not recommended (because Direct2D is better than it in basically every way), it's possible to choose between Direct2D and GDI+ rendering.

• Pressing ENTER will now go back to the connection window.

• The Init Remoteplay and Connect buttons have been merged togheter. Snickerstream will automatically detect if Remoteplay has been started and send the appropriate packet if it isn't. In case you want to edit how much time it will wait before sending the packet, you can edit the WaitRemoteplayInit value in the INI (in milliseconds)

• NFC patching has been added for firmwares <=11.3 and >=11.4.

• Presets have been added. There are a total of 7 presets ranging from best quality to best performance.

• Packet errors will now be logged at loglevel 2, making this loglevel a bit more useful without producing giant logfiles.

• CPU model and frequency, GPU model and OS version are now logged at loglevel 3.

• (Bugfix) Key presses are only recieved if the GUI is active.

• (Bugfix) The GUI buttons get disabled when one of them gets clicked on to avoid function calling related bugs.

If you want a quick tutorial, there's one included in the readme file. Also, if you have any problems, check the "troubleshooting" section of the readme and, if you don't resolve your issue this way, feel free to ask help in this thread! (Be sure to include a log with a loglevel of 3! You can change Loglevel to 3 in settings.ini and Snickerstream will start logging to log.txt when you open it.) There's also a list of FAQs now.

And now the good stuff: download links!

Releases / Source (GitHub)

Happy streaming! :D

Last edited by RattletraPM, Nov 10, 2017
    Subötaï, Bedel, Lukerz and 48 others like this.
  2. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Nicely done! I'll have to try this out when I get the chance.

RattletraPM likes this.
  3. Flaflo

Flaflo Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2014
    Gambia, The
    So as this is using much less ram, is it able to stream from o3DS?

4. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Feel free to tell me what you think when you do! :D

No, this is an alternative to the NTRViewer client. It still uses NTR CFW to stream the screens.

KunoichiZ likes this.
  5. Flaflo

Flaflo Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Ok i just noticed how dumb this question was, bcause it just saves ram on computer. I wanna die right now :ohnoes:

Shadow#1 likes this.
  6. Ricken

Ricken No way... Not now...

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    Dang, this is great!
    Thanks a mil ^_^

7. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    <sarcasm>Shame on you, you will be publicly executed and your post will be remembered as the dumbest of them all!</sarcasm>

Don't be so harsh torwards yourself! There's no such thing as a dumb question ;)
    Besides, there's a homebrew streaming app for Old3DS already (HorizonScreen). It's currently not supported by Snickerstream because of a couple of reasons (poor streaming performance on O3DS, different protocol, etc.) so it isn't a dumb one!

No prob, I'm glad you like it! :D

Ricken likes this.
  8. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Question:
    Do the releases include snicker bars

9. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    No, I ate them all while developing it. It might include slight traces of bricks tho.

THEELEMENTKH likes this.
  10. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Dang it, I was really hoping I could grab one this evening :(. I never stream or record anyway on my 3ds but the performance of the streaming test looks neat.

11. Eix

Eix GBAtemp's Best Christmas Waifu

May 27, 2017
    United States
    Vanilmirth
    hmm
    with Rei-Six supporting ntr now i might check this out
    probably will forget to tho -_-
    Edit: RIP
    172 people currently viewing this thread
    140 guests and 32 members

Last edited by Eix, Nov 2, 2017
  12. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    awh FUCK no old3DS? : (

13. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    As explained above, no o3DS support.

14. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    thats why i said, what a shame : (

15. Eix

Eix GBAtemp's Best Christmas Waifu

May 27, 2017
    United States
    Vanilmirth
    .-.
    really?
    160 guests???
    still 30+ members is impressive Screenshot at 2017-11-02 18-02-01.png

16. Bluespheal

Bluespheal GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2016
    Mexico
    Any hope for a Mac release? sorry if this is a dumb question, I will not have access to a windows computer until after the weekend, also I like to keep everything tidy in one computer.

17. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    It's probably people from /r/3dshacks :rofl2:

Not possible, sorry. As much as I like Linux, AutoIt is a windows-only scripting language =/
    The client is made completely with built-in functions tho (the only UDF I used is made by me with no external calls or DLLs) and this means it should work just fine under Wine.

Bluespheal and Eix like this.
  18. Bluespheal

Bluespheal GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2016
    Mexico
    Thanks for the response, I'll use wine then, that should work well enough :)

19. KeoniAzugon

KeoniAzugon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2016
    United States
    sweet though im still on o3DS. So... ill just lerk and watch this post. thanks op.

BlueFox gui and Eix like this.
  20. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Yup, I'm sorry to all Old 3DS users, but that isn't Snickerstream's fault. I'd gladly have supported that too if it was possible =/

BlueFox gui and KeoniAzugon like this.