Hacking [RELEASE] GATEWAY 4.0 BETA (Private Beta Program)

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Bimmel

Most likely there will be no new3ds available with firm 9.0-9.2.

Even my recent bought new3ds YEF1010 was 9.5.

Downgrading up to 10.X will work without hardwaremod.

Reactions: Bimmel

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I'm planning to buy a blue New 3DS, so something above 10.0 I guess?
I guess it will be fine, because, AFAIK there is no 3ds out there in the market with 11.0 firmware and the ones below that firmware don't need a hardmod to downgrade and are pretty safe if you follow the guide correctly!

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@Bimmel

Most likely there will be no new3ds available with firm 9.0-9.2.

Even my recent bought new3ds YEF1010 was 9.5.

Downgrading up to 10.X will work without hardwaremod.
Thank you. I'm reading through some downgrade guides at the moment.

So I need to install the Homebrew Launcher through browserhax first and then use sysupdater to downgrade. Is that correct?

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Thank you. I'm reading through some downgrade guides at the moment.

So I need to install the Homebrew Launcher through browserhax first and then use sysupdater to downgrade. Is that correct?
Yeah, also, you can directly downgrade to 2.1.0 to get OTP as far as I know!

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll report back when I begin with the process. :-)

I suggest not to use gateway a9lh only and follow the guide
from plailect to boot gw's arm9loaderhax.bin instead.

Free to combine cfw, bootloader or everything thats
still in progress without beeing jailed in gw only mode.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I suggest not to use gateway a9lh only and follow the guide
from plailect to boot gw's arm9loaderhax.bin instead.

Free to combine cfw, bootloader or everything thats
still in progress without beeing jailed in gw only mode.
I still can do that when I first downgraded to 9.2, right?

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically, you are using Gateway's CFW when you do that.

Anyways, the guide is only long because it does it's best to cover every possible scenario, from people who are on fresh//new systems, to people who already have CFW setup (menuhax+rednand//emunand) - As well, as having a lot of safety nets so you don't brick.

Anyways, Gateway's TM will probably only ever support GW-A9LH, and that means you'll be locked down to GW only. GW's method also doesn't take the same level of safety precautions as Plailect's guide does, so the chances of bricking go up, that's not to say some people haven't used it and come out unharmed, but hey, if you want to take the risk, go for it!

But anyways, I would never recommend you setup GW-A9LH, as it does not come with the same benefits as traditional A9LH offers.
Good advice! Maybe one day when I have more patience and motivation, I'll set it up. Booting straight into emuNAND would be awesome, as I don't do anything in sysNAND ever.

If you're going to use a GW, you CAN'T use a REDNand. GW doesn't work with one.

GW grabs your OTP into memory and upgrades/installs a9lh in one step. But then you are stuck using ONLY GATEWAY. You can't even use your system without it. Once you are on a working 2.1, it's best to use the guide to get your OTP, then upgrade, then install a9lh, and use GW's arm9loaderhax.bin when you want to use it. Chain loading it via Luma or a boot manager is best.
Ah, so it stores it in memory. It looks like their guide creates a NAND.bin and restores it too. That's sysNAND, I'm assuming. Would my emuNAND be untouched since it's on the SD card?

I suppose you could say it's a mix of both. Gateway automates the process somewhat, but it seems they skip parts of Plail's guide.
Yeah that's the vibe I was getting at first, too. So short that it was kind of alarming. It didn't look like it took as many precautions (mainly the lack of an OTP dump in GW's guide was a big red flag for me) as Plailect's guide.

Baallrog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I don't know if the question have been asked but if I setup Lumad3ds on my N3DS, will I be able to use GW with the GW payload on a sysNand updated ?
I think the answer is no as GW always need the 9.2 firmware to run ...

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I don't know if the question have been asked but if I setup Lumad3ds on my N3DS, will I be able to use GW with the GW payload on a sysNand updated ?
I think the answer is no as GW always need the 9.2 firmware to run ...
Yes, you can. Just make sure you don't use GW 4.0b because there's a nag. Also, completely remove your emuNAND, this way Gateway boots directly into sysNAND mode.

Baallrog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, you can. Just make sure you don't use GW 4.0b because there's a nag. Also, completely remove your emuNAND, this way Gateway boots directly into sysNAND mode.
Thanks for your quick reply !
So I can't use the arm9loaderhax release by GW ? Or you talk about something else ? What's the nag you talking about ?

Edit : Actually I'm still on the stock 10.2 firmware, i'm planning to follow Plailect guide soon !

Last edited by Baallrog,

watex5

dvd
Trophies
XP
Country
So I've got everything working with a9lh now, but every time I use the Gateway and go back to Luma it leaves a blank black icon on my home screen as a present. I have no idea what it is but it seems to give me a notification and is wrapped I guess every time I switch. Is there any fix to this? I would just ignore it but I get the notification every time and it's kinda annnoying.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So I've got everything working with a9lh now, but every time I use the Gateway and go back to Luma it leaves a blank black icon on my home screen as a present. I have no idea what it is but it seems to give me a notification and is wrapped I guess every time I switch. Is there any fix to this? I would just ignore it but I get the notification every time and it's kinda annnoying.
Did you install anything to "NAND" instead of "SD" using FBI?

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your quick reply !
So I can't use the arm9loaderhax release by GW ? Or you talk about something else ? What's the nag you talking about ?
The a9lh.bin by GW, just loads the GW Launcher.dat. 4.0b Launcher.dat has a sysNAND nag, meaning when you try to boot into a sysNAND only, it'll prompt you if you are sure. That's the nag he is talking about. Either use 3.7.1 Launcher.dat or 4.0a Launcher.dat, as those don't have that nag.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
There is no need to setup a RedNAND. I think the guide author is just obsessed with that word or something. You can just use your regular GW EmuNAND for the process. It will work fine.
Except the guide literally says "If you have an existing CFW you can use that. Anywhere you see RedNAND replace it with EmuNAND, as they are very similar and the instructions will be the same otherwise."

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There are well-known advantages to using RedNAND over EmuNAND, most notably RedNAND being more space efficient. At the same time, nobody is saying that anybody should replace their EmuNAND with a RedNAND if you already have an EmuNAND set up simply because the advantages aren't substantial enough.

Besides, A9LH lets us ditch both EmuNAND and RedNAND so it all seems rather moot. I use Gateway through A9LH with updated SysNAND only.

Spore2

Trophies
XP
Country
Will try this soon. Looks to be the fastest way to install A9LH whether you plan to use it for Gateway or CFW.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except the guide literally says "If you have an existing CFW you can use that. Anywhere you see RedNAND replace it with EmuNAND, as they are very similar and the instructions will be the same otherwise."

Yeah, seems like a lot of people miss that. I still think they should have let it die with Palantine. All that trouble with OTP Helper saying "wrong size" just for a few megabytes? Never mind the incompatibility issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: