Not open for further replies.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Decrypted title keys can be tested to make sure they're legitimate without the need for a 3DS. This allows the site to 100% guarantee that every encrypted titlekey on it is correct and will not interfere with eShop updates, DLC, etc.

If the site accepted encrypted keys, they could be up for hours/days before they are found to be invalid, which could cause a lot of issues for end users.
Ok then, that makes sense.

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
how will i know it updates when it does, and how do i get it?
It will auto-update, but you can check by clicking the gear icon on the top right of the touch screen and going to the "updates" tab.

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow. We are not worthy :bow:

PS: In case you want to update/ expand the translation file, where should I wait for an announcement?
Whenever I add more text (or change existing ones), I'll announce it in the translation thread and I'll mark all languages as "Needs updating" until they're done. And until they are, they'll obviously just default with English text instead.

Reactions: I pwned U!

polochamps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Q: Is this safe? Will I get banned/sued for using this?
A: Even modding your console's software/firmware runs legal risks. But like running freeShop, the risk is minimal. If you make sure to only install games you've purchased, then you remain in a safer legal grey area. And there is no way for Nintendo to know which client IP owns which games. That would requires some analytic guesswork, potentially resulting in many false-positive bans. Not likely to happen and none have been reported.

Just curious as to why Nintendo does not lock the purchased game onto the console's serial number/mac address?

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
Trophies
XP
VljLxOM.png
chart

https://github.com/Cruel/freeShop/releases

This is homebrew software designed to imitate Nintendo's eShop. It allows you to browse and search games, and download ones you own (i.e. games for which you have the titlekey).

Usage:
1. Install the CIA file on your CFW of choice (preferably one removing region restrictions). Do NOT ask about CFW issues in this thread.
2. Put an encTitleKeys.bin file in the directory sdmc:/3ds/data/freeShop/keys/ or go to update settings in freeShop and add a URL to auto-download (recommended).
3. Launch freeShop and enjoy.

This is perhaps over-simplified. I'll be more thorough later. This is mostly for linux, building on Windows will be difficult.

1. Install devkitARM, including ctrulib and citro3d.

2. Build cpp3ds. This script shows how to build it on ubuntu. This includes downloading precompiled portlibs/tools. (if you use Arch it's on AUR)

3. Set CPP3DS env variable to the dir with cpp3ds build (containing lib/include dirs)

4. Build/install libarchive (to portlibs dir) and freeShop as detailed in this script.

FAQs

Q: Do I need a CFW for this?
A: Yes.

Q: Is there a 3dsx version?
A: No, and with the elevated permissions needed, it's not worth the trouble.

Q: Why are games missing? They're on the eShop.
A: It only shows games for which you have the title key (dumped to encTitleKeys.bin). And even then some games won't show because they're not cached server-side (this will eventually change).

Q: Why does freeShop show DLC as installed when I don't have it?
A: All DLC is lumped together with the same title id, so even partial installs will show it as installed. If you're missing DLC, just delete it and reinstall it. If eShop partially installed it, or you previously purchased some DLC through eShop on that console, you may lose the DLC freeShop installs when you revisit eShop. This is currently unavoidable.

Q: Can freeShop download while sleeping?
A: Not yet. It's currently unknown how to go into sleep mode without interrupting network services.

Q: Can I download games of any region?
A: Depends on your CFW. Most of them allow it, including the popular Luma3DS.

Q: Is this safe? Will I get banned/sued for using this?
A: Even modding your console's software/firmware runs legal risks. But like running freeShop, the risk is minimal. If you make sure to only install games you've purchased, then you remain in a safer legal grey area. And there is no way for Nintendo to know which client IP owns which games. That would requires some analytic guesswork, potentially resulting in many false-positive bans. Not likely to happen and none have been reported.

Q: Why don't I have any friends?
A: You should get out more.

Troubleshooting

I keep getting "Failed to install seed" errors.
You likely have a FW version < 9.6 and therefore cannot play newer games that utilize crypto seeds. You can fix this with a FW update.

I keep getting "Wrong title key" errors.
You're probably not using correct encrypted keys (encTitleKeys.bin). Decrypted keys will give this error.

I keep getting "Failed to finalize TMD install: 0xC86044D2".
The system is reporting that you don't have enough space on your SD card to install the game. If it's a DSiWare game, then it's your NAND that doesn't have the space.

I keep getting "Failed to finalize content install: 0xD8E08025".
There are many possible reasons for this. But one known diagnosis is a possible SD card problem. For example, a fake SD card who is reporting space available while it's actually full will often give this error. Double-check your SD card.

I get error code 0xD8A08004
This happens with the installation state gets screwed up. You have to reboot the console to get rid of it. If you consistently get this, report how so the bug can be fixed.

For the next update, can you add a recent additions setting?

Reactions: Flavio Fearn

Rukia-san

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried to download the DLC of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice, everything goes well until it got suddenly suspended. No mater how many times I tried it never finish downloading, but the freeshop assume it did in the game list. This is the first time that I had any issue with the freeshop.

N.B : The game was only available yesterday on the freeshop, maybe it's an update issue or something?

Reactions: CaptainSwag101

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it says "Suspended" then it's probably retrying an interrupted connection. Try closing and reopening freeShop to see if it'll load and resume the queued game. It sometimes has a hard time getting the connection back by itself.

Rukia-san

Trophies
XP
Country
France
When it says "Suspended" then it's probably retrying an interrupted connection. Try closing and reopening freeShop to see if it'll load and resume the queued game. It sometimes has a hard time getting the connection back by itself.

I turned off and on the entire 3DS, closed, opened and manually refreshed the cache of the freeshop and the titleskey is updated automatically. I tried other games with DLC and it works. However, I still have the same issue with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice DLC.

Reactions: CaptainSwag101

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I turned off and on the entire 3DS, closed, opened and manually refreshed the cache of the freeshop and the titleskey is updated automatically. I tried other games with DLC and it works. However, I still have the same issue with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice DLC.
i have the same issue.
Edit : it seems that content #8 for the PW:AA Spirit of Justice's DLC in unavailable in CDN (when installing from CDN through FBI, it reports 404 error at a content #8)

Last edited by capito27,

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Why does freeshop give an option to download it though? A bug? According to @capito27 and you, it's not even supposed to be released, let alone available.
best guess ? the ticket and TMD for the dlc is already available in the Eshop, so it probably showed up during the cache generation process, i believe that if you use CIAngel, you wouldn't have it listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.