Status
Not open for further replies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I said the apps not illegal but most people are going to use it to pirate. If you legit bought the game you can just redownload it though the real e-shop if its digital or dump it if its a hard copy and dumping the game may be faster depending on your internet speed.
Literally not freeShop's problem.
I personally use freeShop to get updates for my games. I don't like how Nintendo handles their updates. It's either extremely in the way (prompting me when I am trying to launch my game) or annoying to get to through the eShop. freeShop, I just go to a tab an all of my updates are right there.
I also like the simple setup for redownloading my games. I find redownloading my large games like Smash tends to crash when going through the eShop and not in sleep mode. Something I don't find happening with freeShop.

Reactions: ScientistGreen

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I personally use freeShop to get updates for my games. I don't like how Nintendo handles their updates. It's either extremely in the way (prompting me when I am trying to launch my game) or annoying to get to through the eShop. freeShop, I just go to a tab an all of my updates are right there.
I also like the simple setup for redownloading my games. I find redownloading my large games like Smash tends to crash when going through the eShop and not in sleep mode. Something I don't find happening with freeShop.
i have no problem with it. but in their eyes its a security breach of their networks and system. .-. also i have similar problems with them for example donkey kong returns 3d always stops at 92% so i think its a good thing

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i have no problem with it. but in their eyes its a security breach of their networks and system. .-. also i have similar problems with them for example donkey kong returns 3d always stops at 92% so i think its a good thing
actually theyre illegally accessing nintendoes servers, least thats one of nintendos reasons. circumventing security and stuff like that. even modifying the console and installing illegitimate software is against it so eh.
That's actually rather debatable as well as Nintendo really only got the dev for using their 3DS bootsplash. Even though that's kind of what they wanted to get them for, they didn't succeed on that one and aimed for something actually could nail the dev on, which was actually using their bootsplash.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2016/2016-12-27-Nintendo.md
That's actually rather debatable as well as Nintendo really only got the dev for using their 3DS bootsplash. Even though that's kind of what they wanted to get them for, they didn't succeed on that one and aimed for something actually could nail the dev on, which was actually using their bootsplash.[/QUOTE]

The freeShop application provided at https://github.com/Cruel/freeShop/releases infringes Nintendo's copyrights, because the application circumvents Nintendo's technological protection measures in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Nintendo encrypts the game files available from its eShop servers to prevent users from accessing those files without paying for them. Nintendo believes the freeShop application circumvents Nintendo's protection measures by decrypting the game files accessible from its eShop servers, allowing freeShop users to access and play Nintendo's eShop games for free.

taken straight from the dmca

i messed up the spoiler somehow

Last edited by MarioMasta64,

FrostyDialga

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The server has no security you can download the game's data in chrome all that the app does is use the title keys to decrypt then install it. Was a good choice though because that new site he put it on has no DMCA so it cannot be taken down unless they contact the website and threaten legal action.

Last edited by FrostyDialga,

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
The server has no security you can download the game's data in chrome all that the app does is use the title keys to decrypt then install it.
indeed, but whos gonna download something with chrome when you have an app to catalog everything? this is why nintendo chooses to take it down.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The server has no security you can download the game's data in chrome all that the app does is use the title keys to decrypt then install it. Was a good choice though because that new site he put it on has no DMCA so it cannot be taken down unless they contact the website and threaten legal action.
The freeShop application provided at https://github.com/Cruel/freeShop/releases infringes Nintendo's copyrights, because the application circumvents Nintendo's technological protection measures in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Nintendo encrypts the game files available from its eShop servers to prevent users from accessing those files without paying for them. Nintendo believes the freeShop application circumvents Nintendo's protection measures by decrypting the game files accessible from its eShop servers, allowing freeShop users to access and play Nintendo's eShop games for free.

aka nintendo sees it as a security breach on their network

indeed, but whos gonna download something with chrome when you have an app to catalog everything? this is why nintendo chooses to take it down.

again i have no problem with it. after all no big file download correctly at nintendo zones .-. always stops at 92% :<

Do you have the alleged infringer's contact information? If so, please provide it:
No.

this part makes me laugh xD id imagine this as a dejected employee just like "...no..." xD

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What Nintendo wanted
infringes Nintendo's copyrights, because the application circumvents Nintendo's technological protection measures in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Nintendo encrypts the game files available from its eShop servers to prevent users from accessing those files without paying for them. Nintendo believes the freeShop application circumvents Nintendo's protection measures by decrypting the game files accessible from its eShop servers, allowing freeShop users to access and play Nintendo's eShop games for free.
What Nintendo was actually able to press on and remove
The freeShop application also contains unauthorized copies of the Nintendo 3DS Logo Data file, covered by U.S. Copyright Reg. No. PA0001781880, which further infringes Nintendo's rights

Do note there's a difference here, part of it Nintendo pressed that it could be used for piracy, but that's not why it was removed. It was removed for actually using Nintendo's 3DS bootsplash.

Nintendo provided no security to their servers, thus the dev has broken no laws. That's completely on Nintendo for not actually properly securing their files. This app breaks no laws for using Nintendo's bad security against them.
Again, this program no longer uses any of Nintendo's code (3DS bootsplash,) doesn't provide the keys, doesn't provide links to the keys, doesn't endorse using illegal keys, ect. No laws are being broken.

again i have no problem with it. after all no big file download correctly at nintendo zones .-. always stops at 92% :<

Do you have the alleged infringer's contact information? If so, please provide it:
No.

this part makes me laugh xD id imagine this as a dejected employee just like "...no..." xD
Nintendo can see it as a breach of their system all they want, but it's not and the fact that they weren't able to remove freeShop on those grounds completely proves my case. Nintendo was only able to nail freeShop for using their 3DS bootsplash, that was the only thing illegal freeShop did. Once the bootsplash was removed, Nintendo lost all legal ground to stand on.

Last edited by The Catboy,

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
What Nintendo wanted

What Nintendo was actually able to press on and remove

Do note there's a difference here, part of it Nintendo pressed that it could be used for piracy, but that's not why it was removed. It was removed for actually using Nintendo's 3DS bootsplash.

Nintendo provided no security to their servers, thus the dev has broken no laws. That's completely on Nintendo for not actually properly securing their files. This app breaks no laws for using Nintendo's bad security against them.
Again, this program no longer uses any of Nintendo's code (3DS bootsplash,) doesn't provide the keys, doesn't provide links to the keys, doesn't endorse using illegal keys, ect. No laws are being broken.

Nintendo can see it as a breach of their system all they want, but it's not and the fact that they weren't able to remove freeShop on those grounds completely proves my case. Nintendo was only able to nail freeShop for using their 3DS bootsplash, that was the only thing illegal freeShop did. Once the bootsplash was removed, Nintendo lost all legal ground to stand on.
did you see the last addition to my note? xD i thought it was funny, (it wasnt in youre quote thats why i ask) also modding the console in the first place infringes their eula so -shrug- doesnt really bother me

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well each clauses in the EULA is not legally binding.
For example you are not allowed to run unsigned code on a 3DS but that is not illegal in regard of the law (if what that code do is not illegal of course).

Some company were even condemned for illegal clauses in their EULA :D

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
did you see the last addition to my note? xD i thought it was funny, (it wasnt in youre quote thats why i ask) also modding the console in the first place infringes their eula so -shrug- doesnt really bother me
It ain't your's until you've voided the warranty.
My post really wasn't so much targeting you, you were just the one replying. It's more targeting everyone who keeps asking this is legal and to be honest, it was helpful that you were replying. Because of your replies, I was able to break down the entire takedown notice and example in greater details the law that was broken and the laws that weren't broken.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
It ain't your's until you've voided the warranty.
My post really wasn't so much targeting you, you were just the one replying. It's more targeting everyone who keeps asking this is legal and to be honest, it was helpful that you were replying. Because of your replies, I was able to break down the entire takedown notice and example in greater details the law that was broken and the laws that weren't broken.
i never thought you were xD and yea, that was my goal lol. and indeed, my warranties hella void.

soprano1

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think people are either naive or are afraid of being arrested for piracy. It's a risk you choose to take.

Oschara

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I look at is, that Yes its technically illegal but kind of a grey area. Say I download said game from freeshop, then sell it to another person for profit then I would say its illegal. I profit from it vs use it for my enjoyment then that's where the grey comes in. To each his own I suppose.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The way I look at is, that Yes its technically illegal but kind of a grey area. Say I download said game from freeshop, then sell it to another person for profit then I would say its illegal. I profit from it vs use it for my enjoyment then that's where the grey comes in. To each his own I suppose.
That's not how the law works (Especially in the USA). If you use a titlekey that you don't personally have a license to, to install a game you don't personally have a license to, it's illegal, straight up, no grey area.

Reactions: Aletron9000

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
That's not how the law works (Especially in the USA). If you use a titlekey that you don't personally have a license to, to install a game you don't personally have a license to, it's illegal, straight up, no grey area.
indeed.i only use it o download things that are big like dk3d cause eshop always fails at 92% and niconico (jp only)

IsaacTF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm having trouble downloading Smash Bros DLC, i have the cartridge and when i go on the freeshop it gives me the option for the dlc, i download it but when i load the game, the dlc is not unlocked.

idiotsbhindme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there, I have a few questions. My freeshop just recently crashed in the middle of a dlc download. I am not worried about the crash, as I was able to just redownload the dlc successfully (I believe because I was searching while having a lot of downloads in the queue it got overloaded and crashed), I am wondering if that would leave corrupt files on my system, and if I would have to go into FBI to delete them. I do not like having unnecessary files on my system as they take up space, and I would be very frustrated if every crash of freeshop in the middle of a download would leave residual files.

As a side question, I found a lot of files in FBI->Titles that begin with 0004, don't have a icon, and are in red and purple. There was also one such file that was in green, which I deleted already because I assumed was the corrupt file. What are those files, and are they results of freeshop crashing?

Image 1 Image 2

PS: There is also one additional file I am curious about which seems to be a nintendo app but it shows as "???" in FBI->Titles.

Image 3

Thanks in advance for your help.
I am using a n3ds and running 11.2.35U on a9hl and luna3ds.

Last edited by idiotsbhindme,

eroz76

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a side question, I found a lot of files in FBI->Titles that begin with 0004, don't have a icon, and are in red and purple. There was also one such file that was in green, which I deleted already because I assumed was the corrupt file. What are those files, and are they results of freeshop crashing?

Image 1 Image 2

PS: There is also one additional file I am curious about which seems to be a nintendo app but it shows as "???" in FBI->Titles.

Image 3

Thanks in advance for your help.
I am using a n3ds and running 11.2.35U on a9hl and luna3ds.
To find out what those titles are, go to that title key site and search each title to see what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ