Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Untitled2.png
Untitled.png

I made a very simple Windows (64/32 bit supported) application.
Feather allows you to add, open and save locations of your applications. It's simply a fancy GUI Desktop with music, is all.

How to use:

Drag a .png (ONLY SUPPORTS PNG.) with the name algorithm of "Slot1.png", "Slot2.png" and so on from anywhere to "<Feather.exe Location>/Feather_Data" and you're all set.

Open the application and you should see the image you uploaded. Click on the icon and set your path and exe file. The path should look something like this: "C:\Games\Feather" do NOT include the exe. In the second line include the exe only. (Example: Feather.exe)
Then press save (Or don't press save. Whatever you wish.) and press "Start Game"and you're all set.

The settings on the right save, along with your paths.
Paths are linked to that SLOT. So replacing a Slot.png with a different one will keep the link and you would simply need to reassign it.

Options:
Mute Music: Disables/Enables music.
Close Upon Opening: Closes Feather when opening a game.
Mute Upon Opening: Keeps Feather Opened, but mutes the music upon opening a game.

Current restrictions:
-You can only hold 20 games. This was due to the way the application was written and I wasn't expecting it to be a full-fledged application so one day I will rewrite it to either allow more games or to allow infinite games... Obviously the ladder would be more time consuming that I don't really have.
-You cannot add multiple file paths. So if you want to run, for example, Metroid Samus Returns in Citra emulator, you would need a .bat file that looks something like this:
start C:/Users/Nivium/AppData/Local/Citra/canary-mingw/citra-qt.exe "C:/Users/Nivium/Desktop/Folders/Games/3DS/Metroid - Samus Returns (USA) Decrypted.3ds"
and then link Feather to the .bat file. In the future I may add a feature to include another line to support things like this.

Feather.zip: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9pbpi645prcqh9h/Feather.7z/file

I hope you guys enjoy it. :)

P.S.: Now before you guys all say "Eh.. Cool but Steam does this already, many things do this... Especially without the annoying music."
I made this for myself because I don't use Steam. Nor do I use garbage Origin. I ESPECIALLY hate how those application NEED to be running in the background and they have INSANE processing for older/less powerful computers... In fact, like 6 different processes open up just by running Steam, all in which are quite heavy on my CPU. (Sure my CPU isn't GODLY, but I just avoid it. Plus I have no games on Steam anyway.) So to make things clear, this is for people like me who DO NOT want to use Steam for whatever reason.
I personally like it since I don't have to have my Desktop filled with games. (Which looks pretty ugly because Desktop Icons are small even on big setting... Mac's Doc icons are fine, though.) So even if you don't use it, I hope you do decide to just try it out to see the potential of Feather.

Last edited by Grmmish,
Reactions: Jacklack3

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I know. HUGE disappointment. Very hard to use due to it. Can't have all of our hundreds of ROMS on it because of the stupid short restriction. But that is the first thing I will change when I update this.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are some alternatives out there that are pretty nice, but nothing's like making your own version with it's own flavor. I'm excited to see where this goes

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks much nicer than game icons spread all over my desktop. It’s a mess. I’ll try this on my xp laptop this coming weekend, when things calm down a bit. Thank you for all your efforts.

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. :]
The 20 limit is seriously nerving but I will fix that soon to change it to infinite.
The only reason it's NOT at infinite/a lot is because the way the save data is made (save.data in Feather_Data) would cause for more lines. and it currently does not create lines automatically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, DO THE METH!!!