Handheld or portable options for Steam and PC games

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what you want to play, you could install windows on the steam deck if you want, if you want to play your steam library games you can get a steam deck, depending on what you want to get, the 512GB have the better screen.

As for other options for PC games, you have portable handheld gaming console such as Aya Neo and Onexplayer, they are way more expensive than your steam deck.

Reactions: neko_koneko

k0walski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
I mentioned Windows because I didn't know if that is something you'd want to do.

Main reason to look at Windows will be for software which doesn't run/run well under Steam OS, such as my previously mentioned heavily modded SADX.

One to note though, as of now it's not 'officially' supported but custom drivers are available and there are workarounds for certain issues e.g. using refind to allow easy multiboot (for some stupid reason Windows is the default bootloader in a dualboot and can't be changed through BIOS).
I think I won't dive into it (I hope... curiosity...cat, you know). Anyway my base console is my PS4, so the Steam Deck is planned as a nice portable solution for my fav game list :)

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will the 64GB version of the Steam Deck run Stray and other Windows only games on Steam (to clarify, those games with only the Windows logo, lacking the Steam/linux and Apple icons, lol)? Or do I need to have Windows on it?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will the 64GB version of the Steam Deck run Stray and other Windows only games on Steam (to clarify, those games with only the Windows logo, lacking the Steam/linux and Apple icons, lol)? Or do I need to have Windows on it?

It is deck verified, but 64GB isn't a lot of space, so you would need either larger SSD or a Micro SD.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As in view the console IRL? Only if you know someone, as of now AFAIK there’s no (official) retail stores.

Only real differences between the models is storage size and the 512GB model has anti-glare.

As for which model, I’d only go for the 64GB model if you plan on upgrading it yourself as I’ve heard the shader cache can cause issues (although it may be possible to move this to an mSD, I don’t know about performance).

The 256GB model seems to be a sweet spot for those who don’t want to upgrade the internal storage themselves and run games off an mSD.

I only got my 512GB model because I didn’t know how easy/difficult it would be to upgrade when I placed the reservation and I always planned on dual booting with Windows. Otherwise I would have bought the 64GB model and upgrade it myself.

Games run fine from my experience off my Samsung mSD card.
So by upgrading it yourself, do you mean only swapping out the SSD? Or just getting a larger micro Sd card? Is updating difficult to do?

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to upgrade to larger NVME 2230 SSD, you need to open the back cover, and replace the NVME 2230 SSD and reinstall Steam OS.

I see. So I would be able to do that of I wanted even with the 64gb version? I ask because I thought the 64gb had an eMMC? I know I am missing that name up, lol.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the guide. I'll go through and take a look.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I have an original Switch with CFW (Atmosphere, Hekate) installed as well. I had heard that you could either Stream Steam and other PC ganes to it through Moonlight or Steam Link. I was wondering about this, and how it would work out. This may be for the Switch forum, but I was curious if anyone knew about this method as well. Again, any information would be great!

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. I finally just went with a 256GB model of the Steam Deck because I found a lucky deal of $100 off! This issue with wanting some PC ganes portable has been going on too long, so maybe this will solve everything😅

Reactions: k0walski

k0walski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
@neko_koneko
You know, I might have been wrong in my assumptions. Will likely to test later when I finally get one... It looks like the M.2 slot/version is identical across all the versions (64/256/512). So only the exact SSD matters. I've found a good deal for 1Tb SSD, so... can't wait to order...

Last edited by k0walski,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto