Hacking Official [Release] CakesFW

andrew weeks

Trophies
XP
Country
I was talking about N3ds specifically. Not sure how old3ds copes with that.
Hasn´t worked. Both screens remain black, but if i push once the power button it goes to sleep mode screen, and if i push the home button it freezes jaja.

PD: Didn´t know cakesFW is a spanish work xD

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hasn´t worked. Both screens remain black, but if i push once the power button it goes to sleep mode screen, and if i push the home button it freezes jaja.

I had something like this once too, but I can't correctly remember the cause of it. It may have been some SD card extdata. Oh, I remember, I think I was screwing around trying to change the playcoin value manually. Although that file is stored in the NAND extdata, try unlinking your NANDs anyway (make backups), and remove your emuNAND's extdata, or preferably use a different SD card if your SD card contents are valuable, maybe that helps.

PD: Didn´t know cakesFW is a spanish work xD

While I'm spanish (catalan), and work with a spanish keyboard, Cakes was made in the Netherlands (me) and Malaysia (b1l1s). Also worth noting is that my spanish (especially writing) sucks big-time.

Last edited by mid-kid,

andrew weeks

Trophies
XP
Country
I had something like this once too, but I can't correctly remember the cause of it. It may have been some SD card extdata. Oh, I remember, I think I was screwing around trying to change the playcoin value manually. Although that file is stored in the NAND extdata, try unlinking your NANDs anyway (make backups), and remove your emuNAND's extdata, or preferably use a different SD card if your SD card contents are valuable, maybe that helps.

While I'm spanish (catalan), and work with a spanish keyboard, Cakes was made in the Netherlands (me) and Malaysia (b1l1s). Also worth noting is that my spanish (especially writing) sucks big-time.

Should exdatatool work for that?
Hope we can see you at 'Españoles por el mundo' jaja

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Should exdatatool work for that?
First, make a backup of your SD card and sysNAND (if you've got anything valuable. If it's just saves, you can back them up with SDF), then format sysNAND, and remove the Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD card. Try and boot emuNAND. If that doesn't work, try creating emuNAND again, and format it before updating it.
If none of these work, then it isn't the extdata, and I have no idea how to correct your problem.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
First, make a backup of your SD card and sysNAND (if you've got anything valuable. If it's just saves, you can back them up with SDF), then format sysNAND, and remove the Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD card. Try and boot emuNAND. If that doesn't work, try creating emuNAND again, and format it before updating it.
If none of these work, then it isn't the extdata, and I have no idea how to correct your problem.
Oh yeah, I missed the "Nintendo 3DS" folder removal part. I think @andrew weeks you could try this in the first place, but NAND backups are always good.

andrew weeks

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah, I missed the "Nintendo 3DS" folder removal part. I think @andrew weeks you could try this in the first place, but NAND backups are always good.
Yeah i already have everythung backed up in the pc. Will i be able to restore my friend code and installed CIAs (about 20gb of games and DLC) after the console creates a new 'Nintendo 3DS' folder without having the problem back?

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah i already have everythung backed up in the pc. Will i be able to restore my friend code and installed CIAs (about 20gb of games and DLC) after the console creates a new 'Nintendo 3DS' folder without having the problem back?

Just try it first; there's a chance this isn't the problem. You still have the backups, so nothing to lose. If you want to save your friend list, back up your extdata with extdatatool. I'm not sure which extdata contains the friend codes, but we can figure that out later. As for CIAs, if you have the original CIAs, you can install them again, and the save data can be backed up and restored with any save manager.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, I've pushed a new emuNAND patch, that's much more readable than the last one, and thus easier to maintain (tbh, I didn't fully understand the last one).
You can thank @Normmatt for finding out that the bare minimum needed code for emunand is about 15 lines.
The commit is up on github (such a nice #100), and here's the compiled cakes: https://up1.ca/#46bugiSIb6YFxSEttmfVOw
I'd like to ask people to test and report results of either success or agony. I'd also like to ask people for whom the old emuNAND patches didn't work (if you know any such people, please tell them) to test and report.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mid-kid,

imadeanaccountjustforthis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to ask people to test and report results of either success or agony. Thanks in advance.
It worked perfectly fine before, and it still works just as perfectly fine with those patches.
High memory games work, as do notifications, the friends list and the like. NTR 3.0 will load and run as expected, and custom Virtual Console titles can also be played (after having disabled the reboot cake). I will keep testing this, but from the looks of it, it shouldn't not work for me.

Reactions: mid-kid

passarbye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any tutorials on installing cakesFW?
I want to switch from RXtools 2.4 (old, but it works) to cakes so that I can use menuHax and auto-boot emuNand, but haven't found any tutorials for cakesFW specifically.
my 3ds info is in my signature, but in case you've disabled viewing those:
o3DSXL 9.2 with 10.2 emuNAND
using RXtools 2.4 injected H&S app and FBI cia installer

Last edited by passarbye,

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any tutorials on installing cakesFW?
I want to switch from RXtools 2.4 (old, but it works) to cakes so that I can use menuHax and auto-boot emuNand, but haven't found any tutorials for cakesFW specifically.
my 3ds info is in my signature, but in case you've disabled viewing those:
o3DSXL 9.2 with 10.2 emuNAND
using RXtools 2.4 injected H&S app and FBI cia installer
I have a guide (in my sig) which can help you out... If you decide to follow it post any questions in that thread and I'll answer them for you

Reactions: mid-kid

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Eh ! The download link is down :'(
Shit, thanks for telling me. It seems leerik.nl as a whole died, which is pretty darn bad, as I kept some things there.
I'll try to get an alternative up as soon as possible.

EDIT: Moved over to github releases. All older releases are lost forever, since I didn't keep them elsewhere. I'll recreate the qr codes tomorrow. G'night.

Last edited by mid-kid,
Reactions: dark_samus3

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Shit, thanks for telling me. It seems leerik.nl as a whole died, which is pretty darn bad, as I kept some things there.
I'll try to get an alternative up as soon as possible.

EDIT: Moved over to github releases. All older releases are lost forever, since I didn't keep them elsewhere. I'll recreate the qr codes tomorrow. G'night.
Here's a few older versions I found laying around my HDD, if anybody needs em.

Attachments

• Cakes_archives.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 178

honyo29

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
hi. just trying cakesfw out and everything works great.
except i couldn't get gba vc to work (have tried to run it on both on sysnand and emunand)
the gba vc works on emunand with RXtools
i have installed patched AGBfirm for o3ds on both nands.
is this just not supported yet, or do i need to do something else?
o3ds 9.0 us sysnand, 10.3 emunand, cakesfw stable100.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi. just trying cakesfw out and everything works great.
except i couldn't get gba vc to work (have tried to run it on both on sysnand and emunand)
the gba vc works on emunand with RXtools
is this just not supported yet, or do i need to do something else?
o3ds 9.0 us sysnand, 10.3 emunand, cakesfw stable100.

You have to install the patched AGB_FIRM since it isn't really "Virtual" as the 3ds actually has the GBA hardware in it, rxTools automatically patches it for you

Here's a link to the relevant thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-agb_firm-signature-patcher-gba-rom-converter.390313/

honyo29

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
You have to install the patched AGB_FIRM since it isn't really "Virtual" as the 3ds actually has the GBA hardware in it, rxTools automatically patches it for you

Here's a link to the relevant thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-agb_firm-signature-patcher-gba-rom-converter.390313/
i did,
i'm aware that rx patches them on the fly, i installed patched firms because i want to try cakes.
so it should work right? guess i have to check the installed patched agbfirms (i didn't patch my self, just download them from the iso site), because that's the only culprit as of now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 16 is becoming bare minimum for today's gaymes +1