Homebrew [RELEASE] BootAnim9 - Custom boot animations for your 3DS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farowe

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Good. Gateway users have a pathological fear of their own income. I hope you like the feature.
I will just disregard this.
Redownload the latest release from GitHub, that should fix it.
I did so, i no longer have that animation when soft-resetting, it still displays on cold boot though.

j0hnnyj0hns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have the arm9bootloader.bin and arm9loaderhax.bin and boot_config.ini i messed up and deleted mine :(

j0hnnyj0hns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tqZUeGb.png

BootAnim9 - v0.6
Features
Play animations on boot:

• Animations can be RAW or compressed (LZ + delta encoding, by @d0k3)
  • Configurable framerate (1 - 30, both animations must have the same framerate)
  • Luma3DS payload patching (doesn't need pathchanger, it's done automatically)
How to install
Place the downloaded/compiled payload in root and place the payload to chainload as "/anim/arm9payload.bin". A special exception is made with Luma3DS, the payload must be saved as "/anim/luma.bin".

It also supports loading BootCTR9 - just drop "arm9bootloader.bin" into the SD card root as well as its configuration file and you're good to go. Please note that BootCTR9 will only load if neither "arm9payload.bin" nor "luma.bin" exist.

How to create an animation
Requires ffmpeg to be in PATH and ImageMagick to be installed.

Use @Docmudkipz' script, makeanim (requires PowerShell on Windows or dash-compatible interpreter). Follow the instructions in the script, and make sure to have a file source readable by ffmpeg (GIF/H.264/VP8/etc).

How to install animations
Create directories called '0' through '9' in the "/anim/" folder. Place whatever animations you downloaded/created inside said folders, making sure not to leave spaces between them (for example, you can't place animations in folder '0' and '2' without placing any in folder '1'). The randomizer will pick one of your animations and play it back on each coldboot (not when rebooting).

For example, a tree layout may be:

SD card root:
- arm9loaderhax.bin
- anim/
- 0/
- anim
- bottom_anim
- config

- 1/
- anim
- config

- luma.bin

In the case above, there're two animations (0 and 1), animation 0 has both animations (top and bottom) and a config file, while animation 1 has only a top screen animation. It should also be noted that there's a Luma3DS installation, that's why the payload is named "luma.bin" inside the "anim" directory.

Credits

@chaoskagami for better code overall and @TheBaloneyboy for minor code edits

@Docmudkipz for makeanim

@d0k3 for his compression implementation

#Cakey for useful tips and pointers, as always

b1l1s for his ctr library full of useful fb snippets and Normmatt for sdmmc

Everyone else who supported me through these two awesome months! (yes, I'm looking at you /r/Nintendohax)

Special shoutout to @Housey for creating some epic music that helped me focus during some rough times. You can find his awesome stuff here

As well as @A_Random_Guy for asking me to make FB9 and getting me into this beautiful mess :P

Latest video showcasing the random animation feature

Note: The only reason the 3DS plays back the animation again after I press a key is a debug tool, in order to test whether randomness works fine

Old video by @Guy50570

Here's an early POC I recorded when I got both screens working

Have fun!

Anyway you can assist me?? I've followed all the steps and it seems to hang up at the end of the animation causing me to boot off the system and doesn't get futher than the boot animation from freezing

j0hnnyj0hns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure the payload name needs to be changed. Read the read me. I have not updated mine in a while but if its not working it means it can't find the proper bin file

How to install
Place the downloaded/compiled payload in root and place the payload to chainload as "/anim/arm9payload.bin". A special exception is made with Luma3DS, the payload must be saved as "/anim/luma.bin".

It also supports loading BootCTR9 - just drop "arm9bootloader.bin" into the SD card root as well as its configuration file and you're good to go. Please note that BootCTR9 will only load if neither "arm9payload.bin" nor "luma.bin" exist.

i thought i have followed these instructions specficly :(

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
How to install

Remove the payload from the anim folder and see what happens

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to install

Latest release, v0.6.1, includes a "special" feature for Gateway users ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'll think whether I keep it or not after this release.

https://github.com/wolfvak/bootanim9/releases/latest

Other than that, I removed support for launching BootCTR9 directly, as you can just drop it's arm9loaderhax.bin as arm9payload.bin and it will still work fine.
It also includes an error message in case the payload couldn't be found instead of that ugly white screen.
Which release of bootanim9 are you using? If it's the latest, then I don't think it's supported anymore.

j0hnnyj0hns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Okay

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

this is the message i get when taking arm9payload.bin off my SD card

Attachments

• IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 273
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

j0hnnyj0hns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there goes that idea. May I ask why you are using bootctr9?

To be homest with you i bought the 3ds from a buddy of mine already modded and everything. I think i may have messed up the bootloader.bin file im not 100% sure though

Well there goes that idea. May I ask why you are using bootctr9?

this is where i get stuck at

Which release of bootanim9 are you using? If it's the latest, then I don't think it's supported anymore.

i believe its V0.3.2

Attachments

• IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 285

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
To be homest with you i bought the 3ds from a buddy of mine already modded and everything. I think i may have messed up the bootloader.bin file im not 100% sure though

this is where i get stuck at

i believe its V0.3.2
Do you know what cfw its running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.