Homebrew [Release] ARM9 Kernel homebrew on < 9.2

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we get CFW or run roms with this
If someone knew what they were doing I see no reason why a rom loader or cfw wouldn't work. I'd like to see a new homebrew menu. Could possibly install one as cia?
As of right now, I'm pretty sure ROM injection is possible. Shutterbug has been trying to inject SNES ROMs into the RAM, as that is where the virtual console looks for them. I feel that the same principles may apply. As for the CFW, maybe. I'm not entirely sure on that one. Yifan has, however, said he should be able to make .3dsx files launch, meaning that boot.3dsx from Ninjhax should work.

Reactions: Margen67

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As of right now, I'm pretty sure ROM injection is possible. Shutterbug has been trying to inject SNES ROMs into the RAM, as that is where the virtual console looks for them. I feel that the same principles may apply. As for the CFW, maybe. I'm not entirely sure on that one. Yifan has, however, said he should be able to make .3dsx files launch, meaning that boot.3dsx from Ninjhax should work.

NES, not SNES. 3ds only has nes, and Gb/c/a Virtual Console :P

Reactions: SLiV3R

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NES, not SNES. 3ds only has nes, and Gb/c/a Virtual Console :P
not_aware_waynes_world.gif

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure it's something to do with Mii Plaza's cache. I'd start there.
My research seems to indicate that downloaded updates are stored on NAND prior to installation.

A lot of the data related to MiiPlaza (post title update) seems to reside on the SD card. What makes you think update data is stored in MiiPlaza's cache. It seems like an unusual place to store it is all.

It seems the update files are store in SD card (booting 3DS without a SD card insertes seems to prevent the system popup to be triggered).
I had a look over my SD card's recently created/modified files after downloading the latest update. I was unable to find anything much bigger than a megabyte.

I'm sure there is extdata on the SD related to the update, but I don't think the update itself is stored there prior to installation.

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
My research seems to indicate that downloaded updates are stored on NAND prior to installation.

A lot of the data related to MiiPlaza (post title update) seems to reside on the SD card. What makes you think update data is stored in MiiPlaza's cache. It seems like an unusual place to store it is all.

I had a look over my SD card's recently created/modified files after downloading the latest update. I was unable to find anything much bigger than a megabyte.

I'm sure there is extdata on the SD related to the update, but I don't think the update itself is stored there prior to installation.

extdata on the SD means files in Nintendo3DS/ID0/ID1 folder so no. Probably it is stored in NAND extdata.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, with the filesystem being broken in this, does that mean I probably couldn't run something like blargSnes, since it needs to have access to the FS to load a ROM file?

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
So, with the filesystem being broken in this, does that mean I probably couldn't run something like blargSnes, since it needs to have access to the FS to load a ROM file?

You can convert the ROM as buffer with bin2c and insert it in the blargSnes src.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
"No", what?

My entire post is about update data being stored in NAND extdata and NOT being stored on SD.

So what are you disagreeing with? Your post reaffirms my theory.

It's not extdata.
They have a system for updating titles that requires replacing the old one actually.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
by gaining full access of the kernel, would it be possible to install Smealum's homebrew launcher, as a channel in the menu? (instead of passing by cubic ninja all the time)

and, let say, if someone would modify the menu with an SDK (..like, an alternative menu..) , would it be possible to launch the ''alternative menu'' before the 3ds menu boots up? ..i'm guessing that with full access, its possible to get to the boot files?..

Reactions: Margen67

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People... please remember that the .cia installed channels for homebrew only launch in gateway mode or cfw. This is because those can bypass the signature checks, which the sysnand will look at, and not allow it to boot. So we would need cfw 9.x to do .cia's

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That Nuka Cola video with old ice grinder is cool, I want one.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, ANSWER HIS DAMN QUESTION
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm good, how r u
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm good, how r u