Reggie Fils-Aimé explains how Nintendo will not repeat Wii U mistakes for the NX

2486879-reggie.jpg

In an exclusive interview with [a]listdaily yesterday, Reggie Fils-Aimé, the CEO of Nintendo of America, explained that Nintendo needs to improve their communication of "the positioning" of the NX during its launch, going on to say how they need to do a better job helping people understand the "uniqueness" of the system and what it means for "the game-playing experience".

Furthermore, Fils-Aimé goes on to say how the NX needs to have a "continuous beat" of games for the system, which would create the urge to motivate "more and more people to pick up the hardware."

"We always do our breakdown of what worked, what didn’t, and certainly we’ve done that with Wii U, and we continue to believe that the innovation of the second screen was a worthwhile concept...... when we launch the NX—we have to do a better job communicating the positioning for the product. We have to do a better job helping people to understand its uniqueness and what that means for the game playing experience." ~ Reggie Fils-Aimé

The NX is still yet to be unveiled by Nintendo, however it is said to be a home-console/portable with datachable controllers.

:arrow: Source (main interview with Reggie himself)

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are you meant to expect? Name me another company that makes multiple new ip's. Somewhat ignorant imo. Now, if a game makes money company will make a sequel is that too hard to understand? Nintendo and basically every dev on earth makes a few unique ip's and sticks with them.

Well I could ignore your mild ad hominem accusation of ignorance, but as your subtitle suggests you're the latest in a long line of contrary 'Temp trolls, I'll bite.

I currently own every moderately successful console made in the last 25 years, excluding Wii U and PS4, with extensive game libraries for each, I've been fascinated with video games since I first played a Space Invaders arcade machine in 1978. I played Mario Bros, before they were Super. I've payed attention, before there was an Internet I read C&VG (which I remember as a BASIC listings magazine)EDGE and EGM for the latest information about games on all platforms. I owned one of the first 25 DMG-001 GameBoys in the UK, grey-imported from Japan. I could go on, but my point is, your call of ignorance, based on 2 forum posts, is at best, uninformed.

And Nintendo's biggest problem is that they are one dev with "a few unique ip's" whereas all the other dev's are making their much larger combined collection of IP available on the two consoles that Nintendo don't make. That 3rd party element is vital to a hardware manufacturer's success, but don't take my word for it, do some reading, history will back me up.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wii believe it or not was Nintendo's most successful home console ever in both console sales and game sales while Wii U had the lowest sales in both. So from best to worst I have a feeling though if NX is a hybrid home console/handheld it will do well because of how successful their handhelds are, and companies like Take Two are already coming out voicing their support for it. Only time will tell.
You have to adjust for the circumstances. The Wii came in a time when everyone was interested in motion controls - it was a brand-new thing in gaming and the Wii was a cheap way to experience it. The same can be said about the DS - it had a touchscreen like a fancy smartphone, but it didn't cost an arm and a leg. When the Wii U came out, the excitement for both technologies weaned - people had tablets, why would they need another tablet that only works within 20 feet of the main unit? The Wii and the DS were happy accidents, their success won't be replicated just by planning, they'd have to pinpoint a new technology that everyone's excited about and provide it at an affordable price. As far as that's concerned, the only thing that comes to mind is VR, but the market is already saturated with VR products, so it'd be a fruitless endeavour. Nintendo shines when they pinpoint something exciting and provide it cheaply - Microsoft spent millions on developing a super-duper camera array coupled with a microphone array and an IR grid, called it a Kinect and failed miserably as by the time they finished developing it, nobody cared since Nintendo just strapped a few gyros onto a remote and fulfilled the customer's curiosity. The inverse applies to the Wii U gamepad - Nintendo created an efficient streaming technology for their gaming "tablet", except everybody and their dog already had one, so nobody cared.
Well I could ignore your mild ad hominem accusation of ignorance, but as your subtitle suggests you're the latest in a long line of contrary 'Temp trolls, I'll bite.

I currently own every moderately successful console made in the last 25 years, excluding Wii U and PS4, with extensive game libraries for each, I've been fascinated with video games since I first played a Space Invaders arcade machine in 1978. I played Mario Bros, before they were Super. I've payed attention, before there was an Internet I read C&VG (which I remember as a BASIC listings magazine)EDGE and EGM for the latest information about games on all platforms. I owned one of the first 25 DMG-001 GameBoys in the UK, grey-imported from Japan. I could go on, but my point is, your call of ignorance, based on 2 forum posts, is at best, uninformed.

And Nintendo's biggest problem is that they are one dev with "a few unique ip's" whereas all the other dev's are making their much larger combined collection of IP available on the two consoles that Nintendo don't make. That 3rd party element is vital to a hardware manufacturer's success, but don't take my word for it, do some reading, history will back me up.
Absolutely true, I'm the same kind of collector and this trend does apply to every generation of gaming.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Where did i talk about third party for a console? My call of ignorance was based on the idea that you said that devs always make new ip's except they dont and very few do (naughty dog is the only one that comes to mind.) Im not a troll, my title is based of the fact that my posts are usually different to everyone elses.
Nintendo arent one dev, did you forget game freak, intelligent systems, monolith, retro etc?
Edit: If a troll means someone with a different viewpoint to you, then sure i am one.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,
Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah probably should have paused before adding the non sega-nintendo stuff. I am not sure I would make the NES to Apple IIGS to SNES leap either, or at least not any more than an i7 resembles a 386 (well maybe p4 to 386). Similarly while I can't disagree on the ST thing that is reaching a bit -- you say Atari platform (as opposed to dev/publisher) and nobody thinks ST; that was their throwing stuff at the wall stage. It might be possible to say we are both a bit CPU centric as well, whenever I learn one of these older consoles then even if it is a new CPU it is more the architecture and sound chips and such that gets the real time spent on it -- when it comes to in hardware sprite bothering the 6502 stuff is often not even close to each other. CPU wise in some ways it is a bit like saying one thing is derivative of the other because they both use an atmel microcontroller today, especially if you want to compare the amiga architecture to other things.

On standards then yeah, though I might argue arcades provided a standard of sorts for gaming, though perhaps considerably more aspirational than a derivation like today. That or I do not notice PC ports being superior as much as I did back when.

Hardware used creatively. For as much as I like to diss game devs from me there is no argument that there are some seriously talented people playing in that world, however everything I have seen is more twisting towards something (oh this has fast GPU bandwidth so, while this has crazy shader performance so in optimisation) than hardware and backwards from there to get the game (you don't get mode7 on a megadrive sort of thing).

On directX9 then the common was more for the PS36- stuff and the chips involved were those seen in some of the last DX9 graphics cards so while I agree it is not much of a standard in the strictest sense it did provide a useful enough baseline and explains some of the things we saw on PC -- I am not inclined to put the failure to catch on of directx 10 solely at the feet of Vista.
I agree that the chips often times are nothing alike beyond the baseline ALU's, but one custom MOS 65xx is definitely closer to another 65xx than a 386 is to an i7 - you'd have a point if you compared different CPU's within the same microarchitecture that use different ALU's, which does happen today. Take the PS4 and the XBO CPU's - same CPU cores, same NGC cores, but beyond that the whole layout is different. For instance, the Xbox One sacrifices some of the space for GPU cores to shove a 32MB of embedded ESRAM onto the die to accelerate transfer rates to the DDR3 shared RAM - that's not something you expect to see on a "normal" AMD APU, and definitely not something used in the PC space - it's made for purpose. The customisations aren't as robust as they used to be in the 80'ies or 90'ies, but again, it's because we have certain standards now and we stick to them for the sake of efficiency.

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@Foxi4 What are your thoughts on nvidias latest Tegra announcement? (parker etc.)
I don't really follow Tegra announcements since Nvidia are the biggest f*ckups in the mobile space - they make some of the best chips in the industry that *nobody uses*, it has to be a licensing issue or they're just hard to do business with. Get me up to speed.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really follow Tegra announcements since Nvidia are the biggest f*ckups in the mobile space - they make some of the best chips in the industry that *nobody uses*, it has to be a licensing issue or they're just hard to do business with. Get me up to speed.
Found a site covering all the info, http://wccftech.com/nvidia-tegra-parker-soc-hot-chips/
With the info of parker i think NX using this SoC would make it a force to be reckoned with.
Theyve talked about how there are enough threads for both automotive and gaming (so gaming will be of some importance with their next chip)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Found a site covering all the info, http://wccftech.com/nvidia-tegra-parker-soc-hot-chips/
With the info of parker i think NX using this SoC would make it a force to be reckoned with.
Theyve talked about how there are enough threads for both automotive and gaming (so gaming will be of some importance with their next chip)
The information is a little obfuscated from what I'm reading. They put a whole lot of attention on the Pascal cores, but don't talk much about the Denver2 cores or the advantages of using them over a standard big.LITTLE configuration of A53+A57. It's also a bit deceptive to compare the chip to the Huawei like they have in the comparison chart since the Huawei uses two A57 cores (the big muscle in the equation) while this new Parker chip uses 4 - of course it comes on top, it has twice the cores. Having looked at the Drive PX briefly, its TDP passes the 20W point, so it's impossible to implement it without a heatsink and active cooling to go full blast - that's not an option for the NX. Assuming that Nvidia was capable of making a stronger chip at a better manufacturing process, I'd optimistically assume that the new chip will maintain that thermal design point. If it were to be implemented and had to maintain consistent support for the same games in both modes, you'd have to slap a fan on the portable, and I don't see Nintendo doing that. I also don't see them using the latest tech - that's not what they do. The GPU prowess is unquestionable, but I don't know if the CPU would be good enough to compete with an octocore x86 - I'd have to make some calculations, but my guess is no. It's an exciting chip... For automotive purposes and an Android-based microconsole. It'd have to be "castrated" a bit to fit in a portable. Now, to be fair, I only skim-read the brief to find the juicy parts and I'm not an expert, so this isn't an educated opinion, just a quick assessment on my part.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"we totally understood the WiiU's issues guys"
"you just didn't understand our product, also more unique gimmick technology so we can turn off some more devs while making our system cost double what it should cost for a quick eyecandy feature that gets boring after 5 minutes and will more often than not be a forced inclusion that disrupts gameplay"
Reggie. You also said that the original Wiimote was as accurate as traditional controls it's just people needed to not be bad with it. It's time to stop.

Reactions: DarthDub

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The information is a little obfuscated from what I'm reading. They put a whole lot of attention on the Pascal cores, but don't talk much about the Denver2 cores or the advantages of using them over a standard big.LITTLE configuration of A53+A57. It's also a bit deceptive to compare the chip to the Huawei like they have in the comparison chart since the Huawei uses two A57 cores (the big muscle in the equation) while this new Parker chip uses 4 - of course it comes on top, it has twice the cores. Having looked at the Drive PX briefly, its TDP passes the 20W point, so it's impossible to implement it without a heatsink and active cooling to go full blast - that's not an option for the NX. Assuming that Nvidia was capable of making a stronger chip at a better manufacturing process, I'd optimistically assume that the new chip will maintain that thermal design point. If it were to be implemented and had to maintain consistent support for the same games in both modes, you'd have to slap a fan on the portable, and I don't see Nintendo doing that. I also don't see them using the latest tech - that's not what they do. The GPU prowess is unquestionable, but I don't know if the CPU would be good enough to compete with an octocore x86 - I'd have to make some calculations, but my guess is no. It's an exciting chip... For automotive purposes and an Android-based microconsole. It'd have to be "castrated" a bit to fit in a portable. Now, to be fair, I only skim-read the brief to find the juicy parts and I'm not an expert, so this isn't an educated opinion, just a quick assessment on my part.
I agree.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ARM uses a reduced instruction set while x86 uses a complex instruction set, ARM loads/saves data via registers while x86 can operate directly on memory, there are many advantages to discuss. I've never heard the notion of ARM being superior for supercomputers, it sounds ridiculous to me, most supercomputers use customised architectures designed for a specific purpose to begin with.

You say this as if CISC is a good thing. It's not. Accessing memory is orders of magnitude slower than accessing registers which is why a sane processor is loaded with registers so it doesn't have to go out to memory all the time. What X86 has going for it is market penetration which leads to more money being dumped into making it work. Kinda like how Adult Stem Cells are more useful for treatments than Embryonic Stem Cells because more research has been put into them than the controversial Embryonic Stem Cells that have a greater potential.

Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a difference between CISC and X86 with legacy baggage. Equally get a decent DMA controller, wind up the cache and a lot of that vanishes. Get fancy with some GPU driven computing and it gets even better.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a difference between CISC and X86 with legacy baggage. Equally get a decent DMA controller, wind up the cache and a lot of that vanishes. Get fancy with some GPU driven computing and it gets even better.
I was primarily responding to the point that CISC was an advantage. Cache is nice and everything, but even that is a lot slower than registers. But yes, a lot of money and research has been put into working around x86's flaws so we don't have to give up legacy support and move to a better architecture. Consoles and such are not bound by x86 legacy support like PC, however, which is why none of the consoles used x86 until now (and the original XBOX, but seeing as Microsoft was a PC company trying their hat at console gaming, that's not too unsurprising).

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where did i talk about third party for a console? My call of ignorance was based on the idea that you said that devs always make new ip's except they dont and very few do (naughty dog is the only one that comes to mind.) Im not a troll, my title is based of the fact that my posts are usually different to everyone elses.
Nintendo arent one dev, did you forget game freak, intelligent systems, monolith, retro etc?
Edit: If a troll means someone with a different viewpoint to you, then sure i am one.

Well you're misquoting me now, I don't remember saying devs are always making new IPs, what I said was that the lack of independent 3rd party developers has harmed Nintendo going on 4 generations now.

In case you're not aware, all the software houses you listed are affiliates or wholly owned subsidaries of Nintendo. That doesn't count as 3rd party.

Im not a troll, my title is based of the fact that my posts are usually different to everyone elses.

So, what you're saying is, you're usually right, and everyone else is usually wrong?

Reactions: Deleted User

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well you're misquoting me now, I don't remember saying devs are always making new IPs, what I said was that the lack of independent 3rd party developers has harmed Nintendo going on 4 generations now.

In case you're not aware, all the software houses you listed are affiliates or wholly owned subsidaries of Nintendo. That doesn't count as 3rd party.

So, what you're saying is, you're usually right, and everyone else is usually wrong?
No, i have an opinion and i want to voice it. What do you mean by third parties? Why would they give their IP's to third parties? Nintendo getting thrid party support is different to them making new ip's stop moving from the point.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The gampad features probably didnt show up as they hadnt completed them yet, seeing as how they had massive issues with the physics engine, im not surprised that what we got in the demo was an empty world with nothing in it (i bet they'd let us explore if they actually completed anything)

Aonuma: “We realised that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing,” Aonuma explained. “You have your car’s GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!”

It seems to be a concious decision to not utilize the Gamepad. As I said I`m very disappointed in that and I don`t agree with him!

I definitely could see why they didn`t use the gamepad in Donkey Kong CTF but in Zelda... That`s just ridiculous!

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Aonuma: “We realised that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing,” Aonuma explained. “You have your car’s GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!”

It seems to be a concious decision to not utilize the Gamepad. As I said I`m very disappointed in that and I don`t agree with him!

I definitely could see why they didn`t use the gamepad in Donkey Kong CTF but in Zelda... That`s just ridiculous!
If they showed of the gamepad controls on at he game awards event it means it was being developed and seeing as how it would work as inventory management and a map it wouldnt be an issue.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That would be very Nintendo of them.
Theyve changed god damnit

Reactions: omgpwn666

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You say this as if CISC is a good thing. It's not. Accessing memory is orders of magnitude slower than accessing registers which is why a sane processor is loaded with registers so it doesn't have to go out to memory all the time. What X86 has going for it is market penetration which leads to more money being dumped into making it work. Kinda like how Adult Stem Cells are more useful for treatments than Embryonic Stem Cells because more research has been put into them than the controversial Embryonic Stem Cells that have a greater potential.
A more accurate comparison would be a standard petrol-fueled car versus a hydrogen-fueled one. I'm sure that there are many ecological advantages to using hydrogen, but there is no existing infrastructure for driving one feasibly and the horsepower-to-dollar ratio doesn't quite check out. Having the ability to perform operations directly on memory is important with heterogeneous memory setups around where the same addressing is shared by the CPU and GPU. It's an additional feature that ARM CPU's lack, nobody forces you to use it - as you've mentioned yourself, you can use registers as well, so it's a non-issue. The RISC vs. CISC argument is also stale since modern x86 CPU's have RISC cores on-board, they can even convert CISC instructions into RISC-like instructions with converters embedded into their microcode if they need to, so for all intents and purposes they can do both and choose whichever is more efficient for the task. Consoles are becoming more and more like PC's because their features are becoming more and more PC-like - they're more than just gaming machines, they're also media centers, so the progression towards x86 seems natural to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1