Hacking Hardware Homebrew Misc Others Homebrew app Can someone explain to me how to use ReverseNX and how it works?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Ok so, i wanna basically use my switch on a travel but to make it think its in side a dock so i can have benefits of better performances.
So i searched something along those lnes on google and found "Reverse NX" i installed the Reverse NX tool, set the game i want to "docked" and when i played i seeno difference, or at least im not sure.

I searched many youtube videos, reddits, and nowhere i could find some clear cut tutorial that go step by step, explaining it all for noobs, covering everything about etc.
So i ended up searching myself with a lot of conflicting info and getting myself even more confused in the process.
Can someone here, who actually understand everything, please explain to me from begining like... What is ReverseNX actually, what it can and cant do, how to propperly install it with step by step
what should i need and what it actually does, and what not to do etc.

Thanks in advance id apreciate it.

Cause i dont really wanna just trow darts in a dark and hope it works, cause i dont wanna mess something up from experimenting myself, i wanna know exactly what im doing.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok so, i wanna basically use my switch on a travel but to make it think its in side a dock so i can have benefits of better performances.
So i searched something along those lnes on google and found "Reverse NX" i installed the Reverse NX tool, set the game i want to "docked" and when i played i seeno difference, or at least im not sure.

I searched many youtube videos, reddits, and nowhere i could find some clear cut tutorial that go step by step, explaining it all for noobs, covering everything about etc.
So i ended up searching myself with a lot of conflicting info and getting myself even more confused in the process.
Can someone here, who actually understand everything, please explain to me from begining like... What is ReverseNX actually, what it can and cant do, how to propperly install it with step by step
what should i need and what it actually does, and what not to do etc.

Thanks in advance id apreciate it.

Cause i dont really wanna just trow darts in a dark and hope it works, cause i dont wanna mess something up from experimenting myself, i wanna know exactly what im doing.
That is not the way to do it. Look into overclocking, and there are mods made for many games that unlock FPS limiters or increase resolution, and can increase performance beyond even docked mode when combined with overclocking.
ReverseNX only makes the game think you're running in docked mode, it doesn't affect the CPU/GPU clocks of the system. In the ReverseNX thread there are settings provided for an overclock, but sys-clk is required to actually use those settings. Tricking the game to run in "docked mode" can lead to increased resolution or framerate targets but without an overclock, it won't be able to run at those increased targets, and it could even lower the performance.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-clk-under-overclocking-sysmodule.531372/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/60-fps-cheats-for-nswitch.592464/

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
That is not the way to do it. Look into overclocking, and there are mods made for many games that unlock FPS limiters or increase resolution, and can increase performance beyond even docked mode when combined with overclocking.
ReverseNX only makes the game think you're running in docked mode, it doesn't affect the CPU/GPU clocks of the system. In the ReverseNX thread there are settings provided for an overclock, but sys-clk is required to actually use those settings. Tricking the game to run in "docked mode" can lead to increased resolution or framerate targets but without an overclock, it won't be able to run at those increased targets, and it could even lower the performance.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-clk-under-overclocking-sysmodule.531372/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/60-fps-cheats-for-nswitch.592464/
So whats the point of ReverseNX tool if it does nothing when you set a game to"docked" there.
Shouldn't it make game run just like in an actual dock?

As i know, (some) games perform better in a n actual dock, and afaik that's not overclocking, the switch is still on it's own factory clocks, it's just not under-clocked like when it's out of the dock (handheld). Correct me if i'm wrong here.
I actually thought that ReverseNX does not over-clocks, but unlocks Switch potential by making switch think it's in n actual docked, when in fact, it's not.

For example, i don't wanna play games overclocked (not interested in that),
i just DON'T want to play them under-clocked, if that makes sense.

Correct me if i'm wrong on any of these, and i hope i'm clearer now in what i want.
So i don't actually want to overclock anything out of what developer intended, nor to get games to run 60fps that are meant to run 30 inside dock or handheld. I just want to be able to fool the Switch that it thinks its docked when its not in reality so it can perform like exactly like it does when docked.
For example, i know for a fact that Tormented Souls game runs at smoother Frame Rate when docked compared to Handheld.

And clear that up for me please what i wrote up there at begining, it still confuses me a bit.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So whats the point of ReverseNX tool if it does nothing when you make a game "docked".
Shouldn't it make game run just like in actual dock?

As i know, games perform better in a dock, that's not overclocking, the switch is still on it's own factory clocks, it's just not under-clocked like when it's in handheld.
I actually thought that ReverseNX does not over-clocks, but unlocks Switch potential by making switch think it's in n actual docked, when in fact, it's not.

For example, i don't wanna play games overclocked (not interested in that),
i just DON'T want to play them under-clocked, if that makes sense.

Correct me if i'm wrong on any of these, and i hope im clearer now. And clear that up for me please, it still confuses me a bit.
I already answered the first question. Tricking the game to run in "docked mode" can lead to increased resolution or framerate targets but without an overclock, it won't be able to run at those increased targets, and it could even lower the performance.
It's meant to be used together with overclocking. One or the other by itself won't unlock the true potential.

It's still underclocked, the Switch is always underclocked, compared to what the Tegra X1(+) is designed for.
Like I said, it only makes the game think you're playing docked, it doesn't affect the rest of the system. The clock speed adjustment is not done by the game, but by the OS. The OS still knows you are in handheld mode. For ReverseNX to change the clock speed it would require a sysmodule, but we already have sys-clk for that.

We call it overclocking, but technically we aren't going past what the X1(+) is designed for. However, excessively high clocks can be bad for the battery. sys-clk will only let you use safe values. That means if you want to use docked clocks, you need to plug in a charger, without plugging in a charger you can increase CPU clocks but not GPU (due to concerns that it's too big drain for the battery and will harm it)

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I already answered the first question. Tricking the game to run in "docked mode" can lead to increased resolution or framerate targets but without an overclock, it won't be able to run at those increased targets, and it could even lower the performance.
It's meant to be used together with overclocking. One or the other by itself won't unlock the true potential.

It's still underclocked, the Switch is always underclocked, compared to what the Tegra X1(+) is designed for.
Like I said, it only makes the game think you're playing docked, it doesn't affect the rest of the system. The clock speed adjustment is not done by the game, but by the OS. The OS still knows you are in handheld mode. For ReverseNX to change the clock speed it would require a sysmodule, but we already have sys-clk for that.

We call it overclocking, but technically we aren't going past what the X1(+) is designed for. However, excessively high clocks can be bad for the battery. sys-clk will only let you use safe values. That means if you want to use docked clocks, you need to plug in a charger, without plugging in a charger you can increase CPU clocks but not GPU (due to concerns that it's too much power for the battery)
I think i understand now, but still makes it useless for me because i want to be able to take the switch outside, and not to be bound to a power brick in order to use "docked" gpu speeds.

So ReverseNX does not fool the system, just the game? That's why system wont set "docked" speeds, but stay in handheld ones? Did i get that right?

Also, again, correct me if i'm wrong.
So ReverseMX fools the game by thinking its inside a dock and adjust resolution accordingly, say 1080p instead of 720p,
but wont set CPU/GPU speed of a "dock" mode, cause system knows its in handheld, its not fooled.
But to "fool" the system i need sys-clk so i can manually set the clocks of CPU/GPU to what Switch uses while inside a dock?
Did i got THAT right?

As for actual over-clocks, when i say overclock, i know (i read) that Tegra can go much more beyond, but i don't want to go above what Nintendo allowed developers to go. I guess i call "overclock" if i go beyond Nintendos intended/recomended clocks, even though those are not Tega maximum clocks. But what you're saying is that sys-clk wont even let me go beyond?
Also, fun fact, i read somewhere that Mortal Kombat 11 uses highest closks in any Switch games in dock mode.

By the way, what ARE Switch highest Nintendo allowed/recommended CPU/GPU speeds?

P.S.
Sorry i'm trying to wrap my head around it all, cause i had one idea and now i'm trying to unlearn it, and all conflicting info i heard. I also, as you saw ommit some info you tell me cause it can be overwhelming. I'm going one step at a time here.
Also thank you for taking your time to clarify this for me.
Post automatically merged:

As for sys-clk, i have it installed but i keep getting an error in Telsa overlay when i try to tun it saying:
"sys-clk does not seem to be running, please check that it is correctly installed and enabled"

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think i understand now, but still makes it useless for me because i want to be able to take the switch outside, and not to be bound to a power brick in order to use "docked" gpu speeds.

So ReverseNX does not fool the system, just the game? That's why system wont set "docked" speeds, but stay in handheld ones? Did i get that right?

Also, again, correct me if i'm wrong.
So ReverseMX fools the game by thinking its inside a dock and adjust resolution accordingly, say 1080p instead of 720p,
but wont set CPU/GPU speed of a "dock" mode, cause system knows its in handheld, its not fooled.
But to "fool" the system i need sys-clk so i can manually set the clocks of CPU/GPU to what Switch uses while inside a dock?
Did i got THAT right?

As for actual over-clocks, when i say overclock, i know (i read) that Tegra can go much more beyond, but i don't want to go above what Nintendo allowed developers to go. I guess i call "overclock" if i go beyond Nintendos intended/recomended clocks, even though those are not Tega maximum clocks. But what you're saying is that sys-clk wont even let me go beyond?
Also, fun fact, i read somewhere that Mortal Kombat 11 uses highest closks in any Switch games in dock mode.

By the way, what ARE Switch highest Nintendo allowed/recommended CPU/GPU speeds?

P.S.
Sorry i'm trying to wrap my head around it all, cause i had one idea and now i'm trying to unlearn it, and all conflicting info i heard. I also, as you saw ommit some info you tell me cause it can be overwhelming. I'm going one step at a time here.
Also thank you for taking your time to clarify this for me.

As for sys-clk, i have it installed but i keep getting an error in Telsa overlay when i try to tun it saying:
"sys-clk does not seem to be running, please check that it is correctly installed and enabled"
You can get some performance improvements by only overclocking the CPU (normally the CPU speed is the same for handheld and docked), and there are ways to bypass the GPU clock limits that sys-clk has, going a little higher on battery should be safe but no guarantees. Only one person AFAIK managed to damage their battery by overclocking and they were pushing the limits of what the Switch is even capable of.

Well, it's still limited to 720p, that's the resolution of the screen. What I said about increasing resolution target applies to dynamic resolution scaling which a lot of games use. A lot of games only run at something like 576p in handheld mode (UI runs at 720p but the 3D is rendered at a lower resolution and upscaled), which is pretty bad, you can tell this in for example Zelda BotW, that the game looks quite pixelated in handheld. But they can often be made to run at actual 720p with a combination of game patches, overclocking and yes, ReverseNX.
Overclocking only: Depends on game, it might cause the game to increase its resolution target (for games that use dynamic resolution scaling), or keep the same resolution but run at an improved framerate, it might also not have any effect in some games.
Overclocking + 60 FPS patches: Improved framerate
Overclocking + ReverseNX: Increased resolution target (for games that use dynamic resolution scaling), similar or slightly improved framerate
Overclocking + ReverseNX + 60 FPS patches: ??? The game will try to increase resolution target and at the same time run at 60 FPS, this is the "full throttle" option, it will go as fast as the engine lets it go and depends a lot on the game, might lead to unstable framerate.
Is a good general rule of thumb what you can expect with the different options.

There are also some game specific mods (different from the 60 FPS patches that simply unlock the framerate limiter), that will increase graphics options to get a better graphics quality with an overclock, or reduce some options to get a more stable framerate. This is kind of similar to the effect ReverseNX has but with direct control over the graphics options of the game, people have tuned them to get the most possible out of the hardware, so it can have a bigger effect than ReverseNX.

I don't know about Mortal Kombat 11, but normally, 1020 CPU / 768 GPU / 1600 RAM is the highest the console will go in docked mode. IIRC, Zelda BotW clocks the CPU slightly higher (1224?) than that during loading screens, to improve load times. But during loading screens there is no load on the GPU, so there is more headroom. Still, overclocking CPU slightly does not add much heat or power consumption so it should be safe to use this higher clock everywhere. Nintendo's official clock speeds are probably pretty conservative.

Did you extract all the files to the SD? Anyway, open the sys-clk manager in homebrew launcher, and see what it says.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
You can get some performance improvements by only overclocking the CPU (normally the CPU speed is the same for handheld and docked), and there are ways to bypass the GPU clock limits that sys-clk has, going a little higher on battery should be safe but no guarantees. Only one person AFAIK managed to damage their battery by overclocking and they were pushing the limits of what the Switch is even capable of.

Well, it's still limited to 720p, that's the resolution of the screen. What I said about increasing resolution target applies to dynamic resolution scaling which a lot of games use. A lot of games only run at something like 576p in handheld mode (UI runs at 720p but the 3D is rendered at a lower resolution and upscaled), which is pretty bad, you can tell this in for example Zelda BotW, that the game looks quite pixelated in handheld. But they can often be made to run at actual 720p with a combination of game patches, overclocking and yes, ReverseNX.

I don't know about Mortal Kombat 11, but normally, 1020 CPU / 768 GPU / 1600 RAM is the highest the console will go in docked mode. IIRC, Zelda BotW clocks the CPU slightly higher (1224?) than that during loading screens, to improve load times. But during loading screens there is no load on the GPU, so there is more headroom. Still, overclocking CPU slightly does not add much heat or power consumption so it should be safe to use this higher clock everywhere. Nintendo's official clock speeds are probably pretty conservative.

Did you extract all the files to the SD? Anyway, open the sys-clk manager in homebrew launcher, and see what it says.
(I guess since you did not corrected me that i got all of that above right?)
- Why would docked GPU damage the battery, i don't get it? I mean, isn't switch designed to run at docked GPU and not be damaged?
But even so, if i cant make switch GPU to run at 768 without a Power Brick, than it makes it useless for me, since i dont want to overclock the CPU above what nintendo recomended if in docked and handheld it is already the same as you said. :/

But again, is there any way to use docked GPU speed without power brick??

But anyway, About the resolution...
So "DooM Ethernal" for example can be much sharper in handheld if i use ReverseNX set to "docked" for that game,
which will set higher internal resolution correct? But it will reduce performance because of that if not overclocked?

- As for sys-clk...
Well I just downlaoded sys-clk-1.0.2.zip from GitHub, extracted files to apropriate locations (atmosphere, config, switch) hoping that should be it?
It's saying the same thing in HB launcher or Tesla menu overlay:
[ OK ]

As for clocks...
So these are dock defaults: 1020 CPU / 768 GPU / 1600 RAM Ok! Ill keep that in mind not to go above if i ever decide to do it.
And you're saying that if i set the GPU to 768Mhz at all times, it wont drain battery that much?
(I was thinking i could play within those limits to actually lower GPU in some less demanding games to conserve
even more power.)
Do you happen to know if RetroArch uses 768Mhz while running?

By the way, if i just use ReverseNX app (no overclocking) to set some game to "docked" what will happen?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
(I guess since you did not corrected me that i got all of that above right?)
- Why would docked GPU damage the battery, i don't get it? I mean, isn't switch designed to run at docked GPU and not be damaged?
But even so, if i cant make switch GPU to run at 768 without a Power Brick, than it makes it useless for me, since i dont want to overclock the CPU above what nintendo recomended if in docked and handheld it is already the same as you said. :/

But again, is there any way to use docked GPU speed without power brick??

But anyway, About the resolution...
So "DooM Ethernal" for example can be much sharper in handheld if i use ReverseNX set to "docked" for that game,
which will set higher internal resolution correct? But it will reduce performance because of that if not overclocked?

- As for sys-clk...
Well I just downlaoded sys-clk-1.0.2.zip from GitHub, extracted files to apropriate locations (atmosphere, config, switch) hoping that should be it?
It's saying the same thing in HB launcher or Tesla menu overlay:
[ OK ]

As for clocks...
So these are dock defaults: 1020 CPU / 768 GPU / 1600 RAM Ok! Ill keep that in mind not to go above if i ever decide to do it.
And you're saying that if i set the GPU to 768Mhz at all times, it wont drain battery that much?
(I was thinking i could play within those limits to actually lower GPU in some less demanding games to conserve
even more power.)
Do you happen to know if RetroArch uses 768Mhz while running?

By the way, if i just use ReverseNX app (no overclocking) to set some game to "docked" what will happen?
When the Switch is docked it's powered directly from the charger, so obviously it's not an issue in docked mode. But I don't really get it either, the current draw of the Switch even in docked mode is not that much, lipo batteries are typically capable of quite high current draw, it shouldn't be enough to damage the battery. But in at least one case a person had their battery swell up from heavy overclocking. Maybe it was coincidence.

There are ways. There is this, but the creator removed the thread and it's been locked due to controversy: https://gbatemp.net/threads/4ifir-m...pu-2397-mhz-gpu-1536-mhz-ram-2131-mhz.604560/
It still exists though if you go here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-clk-under-overclocking-sysmodule.531372/page-62#post-10053201
And it seems like quite a nice package since it includes an installer for 60 FPS patches and such.

There is also this, which seems to unlock the OC and the readme includes some useful info about safe clocks: https://github.com/KazushiMe/Switch-OC-Suite
And this as well, which is just a modded unlocked sys-clk: https://github.com/jope82/sys-clk-uncapped-gpu-and-other-extras

Use at own risk, without the limiters in place it could be possible to damage your Switch so I would not max out the clocks.

I don't know about Doom Eternal specifically but yes, most 3D games especially ones ported from other platforms use dynamic resolution scaling and ReverseNX will have an effect on them.
You might choose whether to use ReverseNX or 60 FPS patches or other mods depending on the game, some games might benefit more from increased graphics settings or improved framerates rather than increased resolution.

As for your issue with sys-clk it seems that was already answered pretty well here, you should try his suggestions: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-clk-under-overclocking-sysmodule.531372/page-65#post-10054773
Other than that, make sure all your files are up to date (Atmosphere, Hekate and sys-clk), extract a fresh copy of sys-clk onto the SD just to make doubly sure all the files are there.
I assume you rebooted after installing sys-clk but just in case you didn't, just pointing out that it's required.
Somebody else said that using the fork I linked above (sys-clk-uncapped-gpu-and-other-extras) made the error go away.

I think what I was saying was about CPU 1224, not GPU.
Any OC will impact your battery life but a GPU OC will probably impact it more than a CPU OC.
Sure, you could underclock to save battery if you want.
I think RA has an option to overclock, it seems to use less power than Switch games even when OC'd so heat and battery drain are less of an issue. Don't assume that OC settings that are fine in RA are also fine for Switch games.
Would probably just cause more lag, without any big perceived improvement.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Metoroid0

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
DooM Ethernal" for example can be much sharper in handheld if i use ReverseNX set to "docked" for that game,
This game is actually an exception with other games using the same engine (Doom 2016, all Wolfensteins)
In both modes those games have the same dynamic resolution range. Only what changes are graphics effects. So in those games you can get better resolution by staying in handheld mode and using docked mode clocks.

Reactions: Metoroid0

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be perfectly honest, all you have to do in reality is change your GPU to 768mhz, leave your CPU as it is at default and there are your docked speeds right there. I've notice no issues with battery and even power draw isn't that much more. Even at 768mhz on the GPU my fan doesn't kick in any higher than 40 percent even through long play sessions.

I tested a play session on BOTW in handheld mode at stock clocks and got 4 hours 21 minutes. Then I tested in docked mode with reversenx at 768mhz on GPU and I got 3 hours 57 minutes. 24 minutes difference for a relatively large overclock to GPU. No heat issues, nothing.

It's probably wise to say its not advisable to overclock on battery, but I've never come across any issues.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
To be perfectly honest, all you have to do in reality is change your GPU to 768mhz, leave your CPU as it is at default and there are your docked speeds right there. I've notice no issues with battery and even power draw isn't that much more. Even at 768mhz on the GPU my fan doesn't kick in any higher than 40 percent even through long play sessions.

I tested a play session on BOTW in handheld mode at stock clocks and got 4 hours 21 minutes. Then I tested in docked mode with reversenx at 768mhz on GPU and I got 3 hours 57 minutes. 24 minutes difference for a relatively large overclock to GPU. No heat issues, nothing.

It's probably wise to say its not advisable to overclock on battery, but I've never come across any issues.
I presume you speak about switch being connected to a charger to get those clocks for GPU?

This game is actually an exception with other games using the same engine (Doom 2016, all Wolfensteins)
In both modes those games have the same dynamic resolution range. Only what changes are graphics effects. So in those games you can get better resolution by staying in handheld mode and using docked mode clocks.
Isn't docked mode clocks only available when i connect the charger?

When the Switch is docked it's powered directly from the charger, so obviously it's not an issue in docked mode. But I don't really get it either, the current draw of the Switch even in docked mode is not that much, lipo batteries are typically capable of quite high current draw, it shouldn't be enough to damage the battery. But in at least one case a person had their battery swell up from heavy overclocking. Maybe it was coincidence.

There are ways. There is this, but the creator removed the thread and it's been locked due to controversy: https://gbatemp.net/threads/4ifir-m...pu-2397-mhz-gpu-1536-mhz-ram-2131-mhz.604560/
It still exists though if you go here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-clk-under-overclocking-sysmodule.531372/page-62#post-10053201
And it seems like quite a nice package since it includes an installer for 60 FPS patches and such.

There is also this, which seems to unlock the OC and the readme includes some useful info about safe clocks: https://github.com/KazushiMe/Switch-OC-Suite
And this as well, which is just a modded unlocked sys-clk: https://github.com/jope82/sys-clk-uncapped-gpu-and-other-extras

Use at own risk, without the limiters in place it could be possible to damage your Switch so I would not max out the clocks.

I don't know about Doom Eternal specifically but yes, most 3D games especially ones ported from other platforms use dynamic resolution scaling and ReverseNX will have an effect on them.
You might choose whether to use ReverseNX or 60 FPS patches or other mods depending on the game, some games might benefit more from increased graphics settings or improved framerates rather than increased resolution.
I don't really want to overclock anything just to have stable fps, or to lock GPU only to safe limits like 460Mhz.
In Doom i used these settings i found on forum for 60fps and i use it in handheld mode (no charger, cause its pointless for me if i need to use charger). The game is sharper and has uncapped frame rate, meaning it behaves the same as without it, except if ti can it foes beyond 30fps. Most of the time it floats around 40-50 and 60 is some cases, and in heavy figghts its 25-32FPS But thats nothing worst than default, stock gameplay as i noticed. Im talking about doom ethernal.
BUt basically what im saying is, i dont want to overclock i just want to set some games to higher, official handheld clocks since some games underclock games or make fluctuating Mhz making game unstable or slow, and other games are just overclocked even though they work fine in low clocks as i noticed.

So basically i dont want to stress my system, just to have better experience withing official limits, and WITHOUT the charger plugged in, since that defeats the purpose of portable system completely!

So i just wanna be informed about clocks, safety etc. I really love my switch and wanna play it for many years more if possible without stressing it needlesly and preserving battery if possible, while making games looking as good as they can be within those limitations. I mean, if its safe to go beyond official handheld clocks, to say dock clocks without charger and without damaging anything, fine, as long as its safe.

As for your issue with sys-clk it seems that was already answered pretty well here, you should try his suggestions: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-clk-under-overclocking-sysmodule.531372/page-65#post-10054773
Other than that, make sure all your files are up to date (Atmosphere, Hekate and sys-clk), extract a fresh copy of sys-clk onto the SD just to make doubly sure all the files are there.

I assume you rebooted after installing sys-clk but just in case you didn't, just pointing out that it's required.
Yeah, that WAS the issue for me lol. Installing is pretty straight forward, but i dont remember mentioning to reset (migt be, but i didn't saw). I reset it for other reasons, and voila, sys-clk worked lol

Somebody else said that using the fork I linked above (sys-clk-uncapped-gpu-and-other-extras) made the error go away.
I got the sys-lck running, i did not reset the console. Its fine now.

I think what I was saying was about CPU 1224, not GPU.
Any OC will impact your battery life but a GPU OC will probably impact it more than a CPU OC.
Battery life as in it will drain battery faster?

Sure, you could under-clock to save battery if you want.
Yeah, thats an option as i said, that's the reason i wanna have control of clocks also.

I think RA has an option to overclock, it seems to use less power than Switch games even when OC'd so heat and battery drain are less of an issue. Don't assume that OC settings that are fine in RA are also fine for Switch games.
Would probably just cause more lag, without any big perceived improvement.
Will keep that in mind. Thanks!
Tbh Some dreamcast games will benefit from just 10Mhz more to play perfect i think.

By the way, is there any ReverseNX overlay for Tesla so i don't go always in HBmenu app to change settings?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
By the way, is there any ReverseNX overlay for Tesla so i don't go always in HBmenu app to change settings?
This is because ReverseNX patches are applied on boot. Doing overlay would be pointless.
That's why ReverseNX-RT was created. It doesn't work with all games though in comparison to original ReverseNX.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I didn't understand that about ReverseNX-RT?
ReverseNX - creates patches that are applied on game boot forcing docked or handheld mode all the time game is running. No option to change it being in the middle of the game, works with all 64-bit games.
ReverseNX-RT - plugin that allows changing modes when game is running. It doesn't work with some 64-bit games.

Reactions: guily6669

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
ReverseNX - creates patches that are applied on game boot forcing docked or handheld mode all the time game is running. No option to change it being in the middle of the game, works with all 64-bit games.
Ohhhh now i get it! (i think) That's neat actually, i like it even more now! :O

That would mean (and correct me if i'm wrong) that some games can have better performance when docked,
since less graphical options will be applied when placed in dock in mid game, if i change the game to "handheld" in
ReverseNX prior to launching it?

I really like that if that's the case! So that means "system" means to be by default, when i dock the switch it will ender dock mode, and when undock it will enter handheld mode. (I hope i'm getting this right).

ReverseNX-RT - plugin that allows changing modes when game is running. It doesn't work with some 64-bit games.
I see, so there IS on the fly mode change than, without the need to apply it before booting the game.
But....i mean....how would i know if a game is 64bit??

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That would mean (and correct me if i'm wrong) that some games can have better performance when docked,
since less graphical options will be applied when placed in dock in mid game, if i change the game to "handheld" in
ReverseNX prior to launching it?
yes

I really like that if that's the case! So that means "system" means to be by default, when i dock the switch it will ender dock mode, and when undock it will enter handheld mode. (I hope i'm getting this right).
yes

But....i mean....how would i know if a game is 64bit??
Less than 1% of games are not 64-bit, they are 32-bit. SaltyNX doesn't support 32-bit games at all (and as such ReverseNX also doesn't work with them).

I'm trying to list incompatible games in SaltyNX readme, and in ReverseNX-RT readme if it's very specific case.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well digital foundry tested many time ago about 15W on erista docked stock but that includes the charger efficiency and the docked being powered but still won't have much less than 15W depending on the game specially because it was also not powering the LCD to equalise things a bit...

With full safe OC but ram at 1600mhz he got 20W on the same part of the same game.

Erista Handheld the console probably AVG around 8W upto 10W and some considerable less as we all know it's totally game dependent and the action of what's happening in the moment at the game...

The thing is even without using switch battery or charging it, handheld with the charger and a bit of OC the battery usually already have a good amount of heat that it picks from the surrounding and I really hate a lot of heat on all my batteries regardless of the device or use.

Anyone caring for their battery or at least wanting the best life cycles out of it will surely not unlock OC under battery usage but it's all up to anyone to chose and it's awesome to have all options for sure B-)

But like you said I agree if anyone use it should at least avoid high OC and you would probably drain it very fast cause the voltage drop will be much higher, it won't ever give the full rated mah of the battery capacity with big loads...

Ps: I totally recommend for handheld without charger is getting a big power bank with good power delivery and 15V capable compatible with Switch so you can OC and keep playing for many time.

Last edited by guily6669,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye