Regarding the new Hotmail/Msn look

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FTFY. The Windows 8 Metro UI is good for Tablets/touch screen PCs. On any old Laptop, it's pretty pointless and clunky. Yes, it works, but it's more bloated then it needs to be.
I have to agree with that, because I temporarily use a 1366x768 laptop, because my 1080p is back at Asus for a week or two and yes. It's too bloated for "low" res. They'll probably fix this in Blue.

i was just wondering if it was me, or does it see like win 8 is more for touch screen tablets?

not trying to start a war just an honest question?
It's meant to be for both mouse and keyboard as touchscreen. The really tried to give people the same interface on all their platforms and integrate it. You should see Metro as a deluxe version of the startmenu. You still spend 99% of your time in Desktop mode, even with Office 2013 which doesn't even have Metro integration. It's just a new startmenu with some apps like mail and maps and things like that.

Reactions: Zantigo

Rogue_Syst3m

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with that, because I temporarily use a 1366x768 laptop, because my 1080p is back at Asus for a week or two and yes. It's too bloated for "low" res. They'll probably fix this in Blue.

It's meant to be for both mouse and keyboard as touchscreen. The really tried to give people the same interface on all their platforms and integrate it. You should see Metro as a deluxe version of the startmenu. You still spend 99% of your time in Desktop mode, even with Office 2013 which doesn't even have Metro integration. It's just a new startmenu with some apps like mail and maps and things like that.

it just seems like a gumbo of an os. jmho

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it just seems like a gumbo of an os. jmho
You probably still see Metro as the place you do stuff, but seriously, even if you decide not to use any metro apps, you still have a start menu where you can organise your shortcuts really and have them right under your Windows key! ;)

Reactions: Zantigo

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
i was just wondering if it was me, or does it see like win 8 is more for touch screen tablets?

not trying to start a war just an honest question?

It's Microsoft's attempt to have an all-in-one software/look for phones, tables and all flavors of Windows operating systems that you may run on a desktop, laptop or server.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except your computer starts 2 times faster and things like mice, printers, Bluetooth devices and the such has got better support. Especially mice, since they don't have drivers but true native support now.
Starts faster from a cold boot only, and even then "2 times faster" is a hell of an exaggeration. Printer support isn't any better at all - when I wanted to use a networked printer I still had to go through the same old steps, install a drive package that Windows Update tried to find, hung for five minutes, and then decided that the drivers didn't exist, forcing me to go to Canon's website and download them myself. I can't imagine Bluetooth has changed much but I haven't tested it beyond figuring out that I still need to install shitware like MotionInJoy to use my PS3 controllers. I don't even know what you're talking about with mice; plugging in USB mice meant searching 2-3 seconds of searching for drivers if it hadn't been set up before, and unless you're setting up a few dozen mice per day it's not really a big deal.

And people bitching about Metro or "Modern UI": It's just the start menu, but it looks better now and you can organise stuff better. The whole press the Windows key and type what you want mechanism still works, so it's just cleaner and has more features.
But it's not the start menu. It's not as simple as Start -> Power -> Shut Down to turn off my machine. I can't find what recent items were opened in a pinned app just by hovering the mouse to the right of the name, or do the same with Program Files to get a quick list of every installed program. It's just not as simple or efficient.

About the design: it's 2013 and minimalism is easy on the eyes and keeps things more organised.
You're going to have to explain what exactly is minimal about having to go to a whole different screen for every single thing you want to do, aside from minimal efficiency. I also don't really see what's organized about a mishmash of tiles on a screen, and like I said above, it stops me from finding what I need with just a click-and-hover; not exactly organized.

Yes, I can ignore/skip this shit with something like Classic Start Menu, but when making an OS usable requires the removal of one of it's biggest 'features' you know there's a problem. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to take Microsoft a few more years to learn this.

Reactions: Engert

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's much of an exaggeration. In a business environment an operating system that can't be used efficiently shouldn't be used at all. Even assuming everyone using it learns all the tricks and such of the new OS on their own time without any impact on the clock, there's still the fact that some useful shortcuts are just plain gone, and it costs a few extra seconds every time someone wants to use one but has to use a different and likely longer route instead. Across an office of 60 employees you're losing a total of 40 minutes to an hour of productivity a month just moving from the start screen to the desktop at boot instead of having the computer boot directly to the desktop.

TheMasterSSA

Dungeon Defender
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed some Win8 computers for a corporate customer, but he hasn't called me yet whining on how he didn't like the new OS.

Maybe he just clicks that "Desktop" button and just doesn't cares about the rest, like any normal person would do?
Just clicking a button. Great. Just click the button.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How did this turn in a Windows 7 vs Windows 8 argument?

The new Outlook design may share some design elements from Windows 8, but it is not Windows 8 and has nothing to do with the latter's features that some people may like or dislike.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I wrote microsoft a few emails and sent reviews leaving my email and they dont wanna contact me back lol.

Anyways, M$ is going downhill with the stupid interface they keep forcing down ppl's throat, metro, this outlook aberation thingy. At least AdBlock keeps my hotmail free of those stupid ads.

The least you can do when you care about your client is give them OPTIONS !!!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In the beginning I used to miss the Start button... and then I realized that I don't use it anyways, there's a Search function y'know. Type the name if the application and bam! Alternatively, use the Desktop tile.

Reactions: Issac

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
@Topic Creator

1. Who the fuck actually uses Hotmail as a primary email address? If you can answer that question then answer this one. Why the fuck haven't they discovered gmail or yahoo?

2. MSN is merging with Skype and the Windows Live servers are being shut down. There is no MSN anymore or at least there won't be very soon. Cut all ties with MSN and download Skype.

3. The windows 8 OS has nothing wrong with it. As long as you know how to navigate through a web browser, which I assume you can because you're bitching quite successfully on a forum, then the 'new start menu' (or the tiles) should be easy for you to figure out and navigate through. Windows 8 is just a faster version of Windows 7 with a few changes that everyone will get over by next year and can be changed to match the usual Windows look via Start8.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I prefer the new look (with drag & drop !). I don't like the auto-disconnect from msn when browsing emails.
And I'm still using the clean and bare minimalist version MSN v7.0.820 with MSN Plus and disabled advertisings.

I still have it opening automatically, but I have no more contacts connected to it anyway, so msn closing is not a problem. One less program to launch on windows startup.

I liked the simple "one executable in one folder, open the program in its own new window".
I don't like the new Messenger/Live/Skype which installs 40 programs and dependencies and open in a desktop-integrattion-like interface.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Great questions. Let me see if i can cover all of them.

1. Suck my asshole
2. Be my bitch
3. Cunt face

Let me know if there's anything unclear or something that i haven't covered.

thanks.

And now I know never to seriously reply to any of your posts again. Please continue to despise change while everyone else moves on.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
In the beginning I used to miss the Start button... and then I realized that I don't use it anyways, there's a Search function y'know. Type the name if the application and bam! Alternatively, use the Desktop tile.
This. This this this.
Windows 7 on my laptop: win-button, search for software, wait a 10 seconds, (choose software and) press enter.
Windows 8 on my desktop: win-button, search for software, choose software instantaneously and press enter. It works just like it did before, and is much faster.

Starts faster from a cold boot only, and even then "2 times faster" is a hell of an exaggeration.
I still need to install shitware like MotionInJoy to use my PS3 controllers.
But it's not the start menu. It's not as simple as Start -> Power -> Shut Down to turn off my machine. I can't find [...] Program Files to get a quick list of every installed program. It's just not as simple or efficient.
Mine's just as fast from a cold boot as a reboot, and 2 times faster is not an exaggeration. Maybe it does depend on what kind of computer you use.
Oh no!? You have to install MotionInJoy, a home made driver set + software to get an unsupported device to work?! A console controller on PC? What is this you say? I can't use my Wiimote as Move controlles on PS3 either?? What is this I don't even?!
Oh no, the shut down has moved from the left side to the right side....

Sure, you can't open the Program Files, seeing everything you've installed in the exact same way as before. I personally never used that. I didn't need to.
However: Go to the lower left corner and click. just like if you would click the orb (pretend it's just invisible) or just press the win-button. now, left click. look to the bottom right and see the button "All Apps" or something. Now you do have a quick list of every installed program. It is simple, it is efficient. It's a new way to get there, sure, but it's not hard to learn nor inefficient.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol