Hacking Recommended CFW for New 3DSXL

Lordbarker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

Have modded PS3 and 360 and used to using roms and emus on many devices but quite new to the 3DS scene.

I have a new 3DSXL Happy Home Designer console and have read the guides to downgrade and be able to put CFW on my console. However, I'm not sure which CFW is best? I was thinking ReiNand, but didn't know if more options were available? I'd like to be able to run injected VC as well as the standard stuff.

Is there a list for a beginner of what's good?

Thanks very much for replying to my noobness! :D

m00k00

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Another vote for reinand here. I used to use rxTools, which is quiet nice, because it comes with some neat additional features ... but right now the newest version of rxTools unfortunately does not support the new3ds with emunand 10.X firmwares. Another option for your configuration possibly would be cakes CFW. So either go with cakes or reinand ... the differences between those two are very small to almost not existing :D

Lordbarker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you, I took a look at Cakes and yes doesn't seem to be a lot of difference. With the latest EmuNAND is online possible? It's mainly for Animal Crossing: New Leaf/HHH and have an old retail XL console as well, just be nice to use the CFW online in those two games. Also with regard to installing .CIA files, would this CFW be suitable? Or do do .CIA files require a file manager/tool? Sorry, still getting my head around the 3DS stuff :D

m00k00

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using rxTools and Cakes on my O3ds for many, many months now, but when I came to install a cfw on my N3ds I went with ReiNand. Compared to what I went through getting rxTools setup and configured correctly (back when the best launch method available was the ds mode mset exploit), Reinand was a breeze to setup.

Lordbarker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you mate. Is there a better guide or should I go with that one and just alter that step? Also noticed this on youtube:
Wondered if this would be better?

m00k00

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You are always welcome. I did it like this last time: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-downgrade-3ds-with-sysupdater.407924/
Just take the SafeSysUpdater instead of SysUpdater and read carefully before you do anything in a rush :)

It might also be a good idea to create a backup of your sysnand before you start the process. You can do so either by using the EmuNAND9Tool (https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-emunand9tool-open-source-emunand-formatter-manager.405921/) or the Gateway Launcher (should you have it up it running already). I think this might be a good read in your case: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Flashcart_FAQ#How_do_I_backup_my_NAND.3F

Having a NAND backup might not help you directly incase of a brick, but at least you could send your device to some of the hardmod-making guys and gals here on the board and restore your backup afterwards ;)

Lordbarker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks again. I've just picked up a Japanese unit from a friend running 9.1.0, so may do this one instead to save any sort of downgrading, as I can make it region free :) Could I run an EU Nand on the EmuNAND and keep my sysNAND Japanese?

Last edited by Lordbarker,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol