Hacking R4 cheats problem...

do_ob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM PLEASE LOOK AT FIRST POST IN PAGE 2!!

Hi all,

I've got a problem with cheats on my R4... a lot of them don't work. When I say don't work I mean they don't show up on the r4 screen.

I've already taken the following steps to try and get them to work:
1) used the ys patched 1.18 firmware
2) used r4cee to remove tonnes (TONNES!!) of games I'll never play
3) checked that I'm using the correct version (region) of the dump I'm trying to play.

I'm baffled as to why many cheats still don't appear...

This relates most to Sonic Chronicles the Dark Brotherhood and disgaea DS, but others I've noticed don't work are phoenix wright 3 but not 2 (or was it 2 but not 3?) apollo justice, final fantasy 3+4, revenant wings, grimoire of the thingy andddddddddddd loads more...

TAKING NOTE OF WHAT I HAVE ALREADY DONE MYSELF TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE and the fact that I've had no luck, could I please get some assistance?

Thanks in advance =]

do_ob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shadowboy said:
Are you using the EU/U ONLY version of the Cheat dat? If not try that.

yup... and even that I've pruned down tonnes of entries... leaving like... 100 or something(?) entries...

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Do the Game ID match between the game and the cheat code? Some like Harvest Moon DS (which has 2 version) might confuse you.

Strange, since those games you told us about appeared in my R4, I played Apollo Justice, Phoenix Wright (1,2,3), FF (II, IV, TA2) and all of them has cheats option appeared. Maybe because of your skin? the skin may cause the cheats box transparent (theoretically, I never seen one myself) and be unnoticed.
Did you use the official 1.18 firmware? Where did you download it from? Did you use it first or you go straight for patched one?

Khano

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do_ob said:
Hi all,

I've got a problem with cheats on my R4... a lot of them don't work. When I say don't work I mean they don't show up on the r4 screen.

I've already taken the following steps to try and get them to work:
1) used the ys patched 1.18 firmware
2) used r4cee to remove tonnes (TONNES!!) of games I'll never play
3) checked that I'm using the correct version (region) of the dump I'm trying to play.

I'm baffled as to why many cheats still don't appear...

This relates most to Sonic Chronicles the Dark Brotherhood and disgaea DS, but others I've noticed don't work are phoenix wright 3 but not 2 (or was it 2 but not 3?) apollo justice, final fantasy 3+4, revenant wings, grimoire of the thingy andddddddddddd loads more...

TAKING NOTE OF WHAT I HAVE ALREADY DONE MYSELF TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE and the fact that I've had no luck, could I please get some assistance?

Thanks in advance =]

i thought I was the only with the same problem

now I bought 2 more MicroSD and... still having the same problem :/

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The problem isn't with the microSD, it with the kernel/loader/firmware/whatever. R4DS kernel has a bug, which causes some cheats not to appear if the cheat database file is too large. And, I've just remembered one thing: r4bugfix2 from YASU doesn't fix this problem, what it fix is the cheat itself, some cheat wil work, and some won't work anymore, but it won't cause cheats to appear.

do_ob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raestloz said:
Do the Game ID match between the game and the cheat code? Some like Harvest Moon DS (which has 2 version) might confuse you.

Strange, since those games you told us about appeared in my R4, I played Apollo Justice, Phoenix Wright (1,2,3), FF (II, IV, TA2) and all of them has cheats option appeared. Maybe because of your skin? the skin may cause the cheats box transparent (theoretically, I never seen one myself) and be unnoticed.
Did you use the official 1.18 firmware? Where did you download it from? Did you use it first or you go straight for patched one?

Well game IDs... I've tried several versions of dumps of the same region so I'm assuming at least ONE would be the right one...
As for skins, cheats DO show up for some games like mario bros etc.
i used the 1.18 firmware before (official) and now using the 1.18 patched. Though I've not used the 1.18 official recently so I'm not sure about this one...

hmmmm....

Khano

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i feel so stupid ;_;

I simply renamed the folder " _system_ " (minus) to " _SYSTEM_ " (mayus) and it works D:

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

so... uh... you actually renamed the folder? I think the _SYSTEM_ folder is caps lock by default, did you get it "_system_" or "_SYSTEM_" form the archive?

do_ob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhhh... renaming the folder just causes it to crash :s I've now got it being stuck at loading when i switch it on..... >_>

oh btw _system_ is lower case by default it seems...

do_ob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK well... I've reloaded the official 1.18... no joy, deleted the other cheat.dat and loaded the eu/u one again... still no joy.

I'll give a quick rundown of what's available on here and what's not... that might give you an idea.

Cheats enabled (cheats tab appears):
castlevania dawn of sorrow, portrait of ruin
mario kart ds
tetris ds
resi evil ds
new super mario bros
yoshi's island
phoenix wright justice for all

Games that don't:
Gyakuten saiban 3 (I'm assuming I got this as phoenix wright in english and japanese)
brain age 2 (not that i'd want cheats for this... lol)
kirby super star ultra
disgaea
front mission
sonic chronicles: TDB
soul bubbles
the world ends with you
warhammer 40k squad command (my god this is poor... lol)
LoZ: Phantom hourglass
contra 4
geometry wars: galaxies
lifesigns: surgical unit
mario + sonic @ olympic games
Phoenix wright: trials + tribulations
sight training
apollo justice
FF: Grimoire of the rift.

That's just a list of what's on my card ATM...

So as you can see, I don't think it's a case of simply some don't work cos of them being at the bottom of the cheats list or whatever. I think it's another matter altogether....

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ok, first of all, make sure the Game ID of your games matches the ones in the cheat database, you can use R4CCE to retrieve the Game ID of your games and here is a list of all the games and their Game IDs that are in the cheat database. http://cheats.gbatemp.net/files/GameList.txt

Second of all, I suggest using YSMenu instead of the default R4 loader, I can guarantee you that you won't have any cheat problems with YSMenu as I use it myself. It has no limits on the number of cheats it will display or the number of games that show up for cheats. Also many cheats that don't work on the R4 works on YSMenu.

do_ob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awesome!
smile.gif
everything sorted and working 100%

Thanks Narin!

do_ob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I know this is an old topic but I thought rather than make a new topic, I'll continue this one...

I'm using YSMenu now and it was all going so well... then recently newer games haven't been getting cheats... not that big an issue I thought as I play through games normally anyway (usually)

Then I noticed more and more... recently there's been castlevania order of ecclesia, dragonball origins and now.. crono trigger.

For obvious reasons (crono) I want cheats to work... I'm really not sure why it's doing this...

Here's what I've confirmed:

Shouldn't be the flashcard/R4DS as these are pretty much NEW.
Formatted the flashcard then reinstalled everything; only thing on it from before are my roms and save files.
using the latest (20-11-08) release of the usrcheats.dat (also tried cheats.dat, not at the same time as I realise this causes conflicts)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Lord Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Umm... Have you tried editing the USRCHEAT.DAT in R4CCE?

Delete the game codes that you don't plan to use, as this a bug in R4's part.

It limits the codes you are able to view.

do_ob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lord Prime said:
Umm... Have you tried editing the USRCHEAT.DAT in R4CCE?

Delete the game codes that you don't plan to use, as this a bug in R4's part.

It limits the codes you are able to view.

I'm using YSMenu which, I'm told, completely eliminates this problem...

Lord Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Its not bad to try anyway.

If it does work, then we're both happy.

Or perhaps some other problem causes this?

remember, CT is still a japanese rom, even though it has english option.

do_ob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hehe yeah I'm trying to find r4cce again to try this anyway.. just in case.

I think it's something else though.. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.