Hacking Quake 3 Arena on ps-vita possible or pure fiction?

Qwack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hy everyone

As you can see in the title, this would be my noobish question. Is there any possibility to run/port quake 3 arena on ps vita or just simple 'forget it' idea because the hardware is not able to give enough power?

I found some kind of quake 3 port for psp, this is why i started thinking.

.. and my bonus question would be ... a properly gpu accelerated quake 2 with better compatibility and shader support possible or same pack with quake 3 arena, aka 'don't dream about'?

Last edited by Qwack,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible? Probably, now that Rinnegatamante is messing with an OpenGL wrapper for the Vita, open source versions of the Quake 3 engine like ioquake would likely be port-able for the Vita. It would probably even run somewhat well, too, there are Android ports of ioquake already out there that ran on phone hardware from 2012 (and probably older) so I don't see why it wouldn't run just as well on the Vita.

Will it happen? Iunno, depends on if anyone wants to bother taking the time to port it really. Our best bet is probably Rinnegatamante, since he's the one designing the OpenGL wrapper after all and he's already ported Quake 1 and 2, but we can't really say if he will or not.

Reactions: Qwack

Qwack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
So, the porting any kind of quake (or other) engine based game highly depends on Rinnegatamante's developing?
Aaand, the opengl in this story would mean gpu powered rendering?

I hope others also will see fantasy in a quake 3 arena project. But maybe I'm the only one who thinks, on-road ad-hoc fragging on ps vita console would be impressive.

Attachments

• dreamcast_20.jpg
    dreamcast_20.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 324

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Since Rinnegatamante is the only one (AFAIK, anyways) working on VitaGL, which is hardware accelerated OpenGL, then yeah, for the most part he's probably the only person likely to port an open source Quake 3 Arena engine with hardware acceleration.

That's not to say someone else couldn't pick it up if they wanted to, but right now it sort of mainly depends on VitaGL and Rinnegatamante.

jastolze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since Rinnegatamante is the only one (AFAIK, anyways) working on VitaGL, which is hardware accelerated OpenGL, then yeah, for the most part he's probably the only person likely to port an open source Quake 3 Arena engine with hardware acceleration.

That's not to say someone else couldn't pick it up if they wanted to, but right now it sort of mainly depends on VitaGL and Rinnegatamante.

I actually just asked him on wololo a week or so ago and he says he's not working on a port. Not sure if it's on his list of ports or an eventual priority though.

I asked back in 2012 if we would ever have a port of Q3. The psp version works. I have it running on low settings and can easily get 45 fps (using small maps via /map or /devmap command) with no bots and about 21 or so consistent fps with 2.

Now that we are so close to a q3 port I kinda want to just wait for a Vita version.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So sad ... :sad:

Hey, no need to be such a downer!
It just means it won't happen in the near future, but you can never say never with regards to potential ports like this; after all, Rinne has to optimize Q1 and Q2 (the latter still needs GPU implementation), and is doing a bunch of other stuff alongside it. It's a matter of time, but don't expect it with some sort of haste.

Reactions: Qwack

Qwack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hey, no need to be such a downer!
It just means it won't happen in the near future, but you can never say never with regards to potential ports like this; after all, Rinne has to optimize Q1 and Q2 (the latter still needs GPU implementation), and is doing a bunch of other stuff alongside it. It's a matter of time, but don't expect it with some sort of haste.
Alright guys;
As a stop-gap until a native Vita port, the PSP port does work fine in Adrenaline.
Yep, I will try to use the PSP version as "painkiller" till that time.

Attachments

• IdjxWSZ.gif
    IdjxWSZ.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 537

Qwack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Quake III Arena and Counter Strike soon coming to the PSVita – Multiplayer FPS gamers rejoice!

wololo DOT net/2018/03/18/quake-iii-arena-counter-strike-soon-coming-psvita-multiplayer-fps-gamers-rejoice/

Reactions: jastolze

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1