Not open for further replies.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hell man, if i could download a laptop i would. if i could 3d print a functional car i would. finders keepers losers weepers.

Between myself and the people I knock about with we can do a fair line in reverse engineering, adaptation, repair and fabrication of real world devices, quite often doing this for vehicle parts and electronics. We all have been known to get some very dirty looks from those otherwise flogging them, not as much as the one that can cut and program car keys (the car dealer there even managed to teach some mechanics some new swear words) but enough.

Gruntzer

Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
you can never justify theft, playing with pirated ROMs is theft
and when you say that pirating ROMs in not theft then i will reply with:​
XQNa9XZ.jpg

in the end of the day you are just a sore kid who couldn't afford the things he want, at-least man-up and change your thinking -.-.
i do pirate i will not lie but i have my reasons ,but in the end of the day i realize the gravity of what i am doing and realize that i am plainly stealing other peoples work and intellect and playing with them and it is not really good.
if you want games go make them or buy them it should be this way not the other way around.

also as a reply to some of your points

"Incredibly easy to do. take sky3ds for example. literally just drag and drop your BACKUPS"
cheating is really easy in exams, so does it justify cheating ?

"game devs don't really care. besides ubisoft of course. but those guys just suck in general lol."
i love it when people make baseless assumption.

"You basically get free games from the developers. this is so much money saved.
you stole their hard-work you little theif, that what you did not get free games but steal games.

"Let's use myself as an example. i have like 54 games that i picked up after they fell off a truck. when 3ds games come out, they are 39.99 aka 40$. 40 x 54 is 2160. that means i just saved $2160."
you practically stole 2160$ worth of games, nice going

son (i hate using this word) what goes around comes around, and some day karma will rape you in the butthole , and for that day i really hope that karma wears a condom or else you will be really fucked .

and to end it​
DCvhK0k.jpg

P.S: i do pirate games i am not a saint, but i realize what i am doing and i really work to change it
nothing justifies theft, nothing at all.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This discussion is so pointless, everyone knows how it works, when it hurts or doesn't hurt the industry. Everyone knows why they pirate theirselves.

If you pirate a game you normally could and would have bought if you couldn't pirate it? Then it hurts the industry and it is not smart to do because the quality of games could get worse because of this, or even worse, your game developer goes bust! Why does this hurt? In this instance you are stealing something, namely money you would have given to them. Imagine your car getting stolen? Imagine getting your income stolen! That is what gets stolen by the people who pirate stuff they would have bought.

If you pirate a game you would have never bought, then it isn't a problem, no harm done and nothing is lost. I cannot say if anyone does it for this or that reason, that you know yourself and just be smart if you want to play great games in the future.

Reactions: elmoemo

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well actually I Pirate some times at least to try if something is worth buying ...
But yeah you would want to be paid for your work as well ... what would you say if someone hires you to paint the house or whatever and when you are done he tells you "sorry mate I don't want to pay you"
Even though you can't look the Programmers into their eyes you still rob them of their money, well mainly you rob the big company's of their money as the programmers would be paid anyway but still company's would
pay less and less if they cannot get enough money with the Games and we will get less and less good quality games !

KingOfThePirates

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
>.By using .cias we have access to online capabilities. same stuff the legit people do.
Huh?
what are you huhing about.
people say you cant play online with pirated games because they won't have a unique "header". actually you can, if you really wanted to. so from i have not heard ANY stories of people being banned because of two same unique headers found online at the same time. and if you wanted your own unique header that badly, then just install it as a .cia. those files can play online anytime. therefore completely crumbling the "you can't play online" argument.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's a variety of reasons why people don't pirate. In fact, there's many reasons why people shouldn't. I'll give you four major ones:
  1. Supporting game developers. If video game development stops being profitable, less and less games will be developed - it's as simple as that. Developers don't work for free - they need to support their families.
  2. Collector's purposes. Some people enjoy having hefty collections of video games. In a lot of ways they're almost like decorations you keep on your shelf.
  3. Hassle-free. All you have to do to play a game is put it in your system. Meanwhile, piracy usually requires you to either modify your software (which is often connected with risks, not to mention that it requires a deal of tech knowledge and courage).
  4. Some people are just more grown up and have jobs. The frequency of piracy is often connected with how old the user is and whether or not the user has disposable income. Some people don't pirate simply because they have the money to spare for their video game habit, so why even bother?
you can never justify theft, playing with pirated ROMs is theft
Let's not mix terms here, piracy is not theft, you're not actually stealing anything, you're creating/using/acquiring an unauthorized copy which is a different matter altogether.

Theft implies that Person A takes Object X from Person B, so now Person B is in possession of Object X and Person A suffers a tangible loss since he/she no longer has it. This does not take place in the event of piracy, piracy is more like Person A acquiring an identical copy of Object X - Person A does not suffer a loss of any kind.

Piracy does not exhaust the definition of the word theft, it's why pirated games are called "unauthorized/illegal copies", not "stolen games". They're not stolen, nobody broke into a store and took them, they're copies.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
There's a variety of reasons why people don't pirate. In fact, there's many reasons why people shouldn't. I'll give you four major ones:
  1. Supporting game developers. If video game development stops being profitable, less and less games will be developed - it's as simple as that. Developers don't work for free - they need to support their families.
  2. Collector's purposes. Some people enjoy having hefty collections of video games. In a lot of ways they're almost like decorations you keep on your shelf.
  3. Hassle-free. All you have to do to play a game is put it in your system. Meanwhile, piracy usually requires you to either modify your software (which is often connected with risks, not to mention that it requires a deal of tech knowledge and courage).
  4. Some people are just more grown up and have a job. The frequency of piracy is often connected with how old the user is and whether or not the user has disposable income. Some people don't pirate simply because they have the money to spare for their video game habit, so why even bother?
100% agree with you here.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Piracy isn't theft. That doesn't make it any better than theft, but it is its own (albeit very similar) crime.

4. Some people are just more grown up and have a job. The frequency of piracy is often connected with how old the user is and whether or not the user has disposable income. Some people don't pirate simply because they have the money to spare for their video game habit, so why even bother?
It's the first two for me. I install homebrew anyway, so it's not much of a hassle to pirate something. As for the last point on your list, ask around, I'm sure you'll find many people here who feel I need to grow up. ;)

Reactions: VinsCool and Foxi4

KasaiWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Why don't I pirate? Hm well simply put I don't play enough 3DS games to warrent it. I play Omega Ruby and Y from Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and a few Mario games as well as fire Emblem and Resident Evil. That's hardly a lot and I don't have to worry about being online or anything.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First and foremost, let it be known that I refuse to pirate games that are still being actively sold, are sources of revenue and are still are available in digital form from legit download services (i.e. eShop, PSN, XBN, Steam, Origin, etc) :P I have, however, modded my Wii and backed up every single Wii and Gamecube game that I legally obtained because I find it to be more convenient, people will still frown upon backing up legit copies but I feel fine doing it with my own games.

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I pirate games to try if they are worth the price they are putting them, for example: i played backups of One Piece Unlimited Cruise 1&2 for Wii, and finished them like 1 or 2 years ago, but last week, bought them for a good offer NEW, and i'm keeping them unsealed.

I bought them, the only thing is that i can wait for a good offer, better than playing them and throwing them, that seems is the rule nowadays.
So many games that you can pirate>play>pirate>play and so on, it's not good for the players or for the industry, the games are ending not even being a memory for the players.

And sorry for my english, not my main language, ofc ^^

TJHeartnote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well how bout rom translations? what about custom roms like pokemon volt black. see piracy is a full on grey area. sometimes you pirate out of necessity. you want that game but your rent comes first. By the time you can afford that game, it's sequel is already out and you keep getting left in the dust. Now there are some legitimate titles I purchase because they are beloved enough worthy of purchasing. Like pokemon, mario zelda etc. But you expect me to pay $40 for what might be a glorified android app like angry birds? No, not just no, hell no. this is where Piracy comes in it's me saying your game is so crappy that i'm not spending money on it or I bought your game but there is no way in hell i'm spending $20 just for a little extra content. Piracy does save your money for what you judge as good games. No way in hell i'm spending $40 on angry birds, cut the rope or any of that crap. I rather spend that on something that's fun like omega ruby or alpha sapphire. in short it's saving money on what really is crap. also doing stuff you can't do on stock like imports, custom rom hacks, or translations.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well how bout rom translations? what about custom roms like pokemon volt black. see piracy is a full on grey area. sometimes you pirate out of necessity. you want that game but your rent comes first. By the time you can afford that game, it's sequel is already out and you keep getting left in the dust. Now there are some legitimate titles I purchase because they are beloved enough worthy of purchasing. Like pokemon, mario zelda etc. But you expect me to pay $40 for what might be a glorified android app like angry birds? No, not just no, hell no. this is where Piracy comes in it's me saying your game is so crappy that i'm not spending money on it or I bought your game but there is no way in hell i'm spending $20 just for a little extra content. Piracy does save your money for what you judge as good games. No way in hell i'm spending $40 on angry birds, cut the rope or any of that crap. I rather spend that on something that's fun like omega ruby or alpha sapphire. in short it's saving money on what really is crap. also doing stuff you can't do on stock like imports, custom rom hacks, or translations.

Legally, piracy is not gray, it is black.
It is convenient anyway, and you should buy the originals for many reasons.
But even if you have the originals, legally it still is black to "duplicate" and "modify/hack" the original content in the USA, as far as I know.
At the end of the day, anyway, only lawyers care about law and know very well how to bend it.
The common citizen should probably care about doing what he thinks is correct, and having a good lawyer just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1