Hacking [PSP] La Pucelle Ragnarok Translation

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should not matter the CFW.

Try the patched ISO on PPSSPP emulator first to save you time downloading it to the PSP.

There are many "unclean" version floating around since many people have patched the rom with various versions of the patch or trimmed out the blank file for the UMD version.

Reactions: Deleted User

vhan1088

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks I'll test with an emulator

EDIT: I found out what was causing the problem. the download content breaks the games text... should have expected that considering what happened when disgaea 2 psp was localized.

hatsubai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, translator here. Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words. While I've translated other material in the past, this was the first game I ever worked on. It was a lot of fun trying to localize this game, and I tried to make it similar to the way the original PS2 translators localized it, but there are still a few things I had to fudge in order to get things to sound "natural" due to the lack of single quotes. Hopefully it won't be too jarring going from the PS2 material to the bonus content.

Big thanks goes out to ChepChep who worked super hard on this from beginning to end, and his patience is one in a million as he waited for everything to be translated.

Just a note - I had to translate a few lines "blind" because I simply couldn't find them in the game, so for those of you who are proofreading/checking stuff, be sure to check for context, as well. There may be a few things that need to be fixed up in that regard. Any help on proofreading the material is much appreciated, and I really appreciate everyone's enthusiasm here for this game. I've actually been lurking the forums for awhile, reading responses and seeing how many people have been wanting this game to be localized. Seeing your enthusiasm made it that much more satisfying to translate, so again, thanks so much!

TBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to translate the 4 characters DLC to English? Or if not translate them, at least change the menus/attacks/names etc? I actually have all four characters DLC with it enabled for PPSSPP(like it's a .edat or something). I really want to use the characters, but if I activate the DLC it changes everything but the dialogue and basic menus to Japanese. Like all equipment is in Jap, character names and attacks etc.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBC,

We have no plans to translate the DLC for LPR because of two reasons:
1) The DLC content overwrites all the data that we have translated so we would have to redo all of the translation to get the DLC working in English.
2) Legal Issues: The DLC was paid content and we would have to include the DLC content in order to translate it. We want to be legal and the current patch contains no copyright material of NIS.

Sorry I wish I could help but due to the technical and legal issues we have no plans to translate the DLC.

-ChepChep

TBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, that's unfortunate :/ There's no way you could include a separate patch translating the DLC parts? Not even just the dialogue, maybe. Just the parts it overwrites. Make it so you don't need to download the DLC from you to patch. Like we would have to have the DLC first and use a patch you make.

Because then it could be perfectly plausible that someone could have bought the DLC and not pirated anything, but still be able to patch it.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We could do it that way like you described but then there is the technical issue. Almost 95% of the text that is translated would have to be reinserted back into the DLC files.

I have no plans to spend another few months trying to reinsert the same material again and bug check everything to make a forked patch for the DLC.

TBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, I see. Wouldn't it be easier this time around because the stuff has already been translated? I'm not high into coding so I guess I don't know a whole lot, but it seems if it was translated once it would be easier to do a second time.

But alrighty, though. That's unfortunate :/ Thank you for all your work on the game, though!!! I'm playing right now and it's awesome :D I had it on PS2 on the PS3 then found I could play the PSP one now :D So that's awesome. I just want Ellie and Rozalin soo baaaaad. hahaha.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I played a little from the start with v0.3.0.
Here what I found in chapter 1.
(It might be little details, but see if it can be fixed, it will look better)

205572-pic_0001.jpg

205573-pic_0002.jpg

In the menu, the "+xxxxx" are not aligned the same way.
Purify range (space) +1 (and is outside of the menu)
Purify Power (no space) +1

The description at the bottom has the same problem, one is "+1" the other one is only "1"
Same issue with ON/OFF alignement
205574-pic_0007.jpg

Inconsistency / grammar
In the shop, talking to the mage and choosing a pet to send to dark world:
205575-pic_0008.jpg

1. "is is" instead of "Is it"
2. I'm almost sure the two texts displayed here (top and bottom right) has nothing to do here. it doesn't make sense with the current situation.
The top one doesn't even seems to be complete.
Missing "to" in "possible to learn"
205576-pic_0009.jpg
In the bar, with record girl.
There are two "Max Damage". no indication what it's referring to (HP/MP? Physical / Magical? Received/given?)
205577-pic_0010.jpg

Untranslated text
After the Zombie castle discovery cutscene, I went back to town.
205578-pic_0011.jpg

Portals are not translated at all? or is reverted since a previous patch? (I don't remember if they were translated)
205584-pic_0017.jpg

Same for the battle's victory conditions:
205586-pic_0019.jpg

Do not release a fix right away. wait for more reports ;)
(unless you want us to check if the fixes are correctly fixed while we are at the current chapter? I'll keep multiple saves for easier debugging)

About the game itself:
Maybe I'm not understanding how the skills are working, but when I learn a new skill I can't find it in the menu.
is it unlocked later (after the battle), or available right away?
maybe it's saying it's unlocking a skill name, but another name is displayed in the menus?

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan,

Thanks for your help in finding these bugs. I have fixed them all except for the last two now. The next time I put out a patch I will include the fixes. Good find on the NPC. I was able to reproduce it very easily and translate it very quickly. Thanks again for pointing the issues out.

I have no plans to translate the images in the game. I have very poor image manipulation skills and they always look like junk. Unless someone else volunteers to help they will stay that way.

-ChepChep

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've checked the txp files and found the pictures you are referring to.
I can try to edit the pictures, but I don't promise anything. It could look bad and jaggy too.

Do you have a font name I can use for winning conditions? (with no copyright)

Do you have an official translation for the 4 possible winning conditions?
(too bad, my PS2 La Pucelle is in JP too :P)
205818-sys4bg.png

(Bold = correct. non bold = I don't know how to translate)
shouri jouken : Victory condition
subete no teki o taose!: Defeat all enemies!
大怪我をタルト山へ 誘い込め!: Serious injury ... Mont Tarte.... Invite! (PS2: Lead the creature to Mt. Tarte)
Bosu o taose! : Defeat the Boss! (PS2: Defeat the BOSS!)
敵にかまわず、...のマップに進め!: Enemy here... proceed to the map? (PS2: Go to the next map)

and for the Elemental panel's text?
205816-sys6bg.png

地場の長さ Jiba no nagasa : Field length, energy length, flow length, or just "Distance" or "Effect" (PS2: Not on PS2)
マス mass : tiles, panels? (PS2: Not on PS2)
不浄点 impurity point: Dark portal, Portal (PS2: Dark Portal)
閤の地場 : Flow, Energy field, or just Energy (because there's not a lot of space to fit the text) (PS2: Dark Squares)
あと:
ターンで 敵出現 : An enemy appeared this turn? (this one is probably wrong translation, and too long to fit anyway)

Edit:
When you place a "change up" to turn the Energy field direction, it asks if you want to "Put Mukikiaeru here?".
maybe you should rename it to "change up" too?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My first attemps at editing this game !
205845-pic_0003.jpg

using Arial as font. doesn't look very good/special. but it works.
someone know a free to use font?

Edit:

I added an underline effect based on the window's frame and created my own font (pixel by pixel). Doesn't look great because of limited space, but it's not copyrighted !
205905-pic_0008.jpg

I tried to make it look like the PS2 version.
But I'll probably shrink the "Y" to make more space for "condition".

Edit:
new version
206153-pic_0009.jpg
206159-sys4_18bg.png

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan,

The few images I had edited, I just was pixel editing it to make the chars look right. It took me 1-2 weeks to get all that looking so-so in my opinion.

I have fixed the change up text.

I am not sure which font is in the game and most I know of are copyrighted. I kinda gave up on the other text since it was taking so much time for me to manipulate the images. (I also hate doing image manipulation.)

As far as translation, I would just find a youtube video of someone playing through La Pucelle on the PS2 and you can see the english. I did that for many things in LPR.
I also have a copy of the PS2 game in english but it was always easier to youtube things.

-ChepChep

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
could someone give me a save file at least at chapter 8?
I need one with all Victory conditions available.

"Lead creature to Mt Tarte" appears only in Chapter 4 (first battle). If it can't be seen anymore, please provide a save at the end of chapter 3.
and
"Go to the next map" appears first in chapter 8 (6th battle)

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure...

(LPR- Save File - Chapter 8)

There is one at the beginning of Ch8 and another I forget where in the chapter. Most likely right before the decision point.

Note:
- This save file may have issues with characters names since it was made before I fixed many of them.
- Also some items that are in inventory may have typos but everything should be functional.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Chapter 8 done.

Could I have chapter 4 too?

I couldn't test the "Mont Tarte" text as I don't have access to chapter 4 yet.
It should fit but maybe not correctly centered.

:arrow: sys4.txp

206194-sys4_23bg.png

Here are in-game screenshots:
206270-screen00015_mini.jpg
206268-screen00020_mini.jpg

206267-screen00017_mini.jpg
206269-screen00021_mini.jpg

I'm now working on sys6.txp, but I will give you another sys4 (I will change the way the V letter looks like)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o