Hacking [PSA] Strong anti-piracy measures implemented by Nintendo for online.

TheFatassOfKicka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Low IQ post. Not everyone agrees it's a handheld since it doesn't fit in alot of peoples hands.
lmao, nobody claims the Switch isn't a handheld because it 'doesn't fit in their hands'
You'd need Deadpool hands for your mitts to be so small that they can't grasp those tiny little Joy-Con. You'd have to be on a hundred muscle relaxers before Switch is too heavy to hold.

people claim the Switch isn't a handheld, because they enjoy arguing semantics over the size of the device, and haven't realized that what they're actually disputing is the system's pocketability, every single time... and not its iron-clad irrefutable status as a handheld device designed for handheld gaming while held within the grasp of human hands

Last edited by TheFatassOfKicka,

SoLongGayBowser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can see lots of bans happening in the future when people start buying used games that have been ripped and uploaded with their certificates.

That's the most intriguing thing. How will they police that? Games will always be sold and bought.
Most people here know the situation, if you use a game that's been ripped by somebody else and both go online at the same time it will probably flag and result in a ban. But the vast majority of switch owners don't care about hacking. So Nintendo are going to ban the 10 year old who got a used game as a gift from his grandma? Or will they ban the one that went online first, because that must be the one that ripped the game?
But what if you ripped it, sold the game and then installed and played it after a month? Nintendo has to verify which person is the liar? It will be a shit show whatever happens.

moopas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, quick question. Is solely using one of the BBB xci files with a backup loader while wifi is enabled enough to trigger any form of currently known antipiracy methods? Or does the game actually have to ask to connect online, or as a user, do we have to in-game click "connect" for the game to be considered online? Just curious, as I know the safest thing to do would be to of course either stay in airplane mode, or have no wifi settings. I just wanna know if I could, for example, use backups with wifi on so long as I dont connect in-game, then later, go to the e-shop, or play other purchased games safely.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So, quick question. Is solely using one of the BBB xci files with a backup loader while wifi is enabled enough to trigger any form of currently known antipiracy methods? Or does the game actually have to ask to connect online, or as a user, do we have to in-game click "connect" for the game to be considered online? Just curious, as I know the safest thing to do would be to of course either stay in airplane mode, or have no wifi settings. I just wanna know if I could, for example, use backups with wifi on so long as I dont connect in-game, then later, go to the e-shop, or play other purchased games safely.
We don't know yet what's safe and what's not. But I'm sure that we'll know more soon. Be patient. I wouldn't risk using any kind of online functionality with homebrew and backups right now. Some games like Splatoon 2 try to connect to the internet automatically when starting.

Last edited by pLaYeR^^,

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Wait a minute, doesn't Nintendo charge something like $20 a year to be able to go online? Screw that, and screw "subscription-based" online like PS+ and Xbox Live! Especially since the developers of the games (not the platform holders) pay for server costs. Nintendo figured since $ony and Micro$oft charges people, why not charge us too?

I'm keeping it offline FOREVER, just like my PS3 and PS4.

Speaking of which, they had free online for PS3, PSP, even the PS2 had an ethernet port, same with the Nintendo DS. This was when the infrastructure was shit, and now that it's lightning fast (no thanks to these companies, but to general improvements in technology), NOW they charge people for money! It makes me sick.

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question here since I'm new to the Switch. When Nintendo bans you, does it prevent E-Shop access, updates and DLC? Or just online play? Because I don't play online on my consoles, just PC. So if that's the case, then this is all irrelevant to me. But if it bans you from accessing the shop for games and updates, then it's a HUGE issue to me. I'd like some clarification please.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Quick question here since I'm new to the Switch. When Nintendo bans you, does it prevent E-Shop access, updates and DLC? Or just online play? Because I don't play online on my consoles, just PC. So if that's the case, then this is all irrelevant to me. But if it bans you from accessing the shop for games and updates, then it's a HUGE issue to me. I'd like some clarification please.
When you're banned you still can update your firmware and download game updates. You can't visit the eShop or download DLC's anymore.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the type of ban. The most severe ban limits you to only updating your games and system firmware. However Splatoon 2 hackers were limited from accessing Splatoon online. They could still access the eShop.

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the type of ban. The most severe ban limits you to only updating your games and system firmware. However Splatoon 2 hackers were limited from accessing Splatoon online. They could still access the eShop.
Hmm, ok. Thanks guys. That is an issue then. I'm not going to go play online at all, but I do still want the shop.

Geezerdorf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-im-bannanas-by-playing-online-using-xecuter-os-sx.508046/

I know it is still too soon to judge it, but if you can continue to use your legit games online in the coming months, this mean a big kick in the butt to sciresm and a encourage to pirate all what you want :P

Note: I said only IF.

Wouldn't be so sure.
In the 3DS era, they managed the cheaters and those who pirated games in "blanket-bans". As soon as Maintenance mode entered, principally after a system update, they began to do bans to all people caught cheating online, or playing illegal copies of games/playing games online before the game even was released in their respective regions.
If what i've seen from Splatoon 2 mods and the very few MK8DX mods are doing online, it is certain that they'll make more of those bans with updates/maintenance, and also, ban people who tries to enter, according to what Michael said.

This is really, really interesting from the programming side of things. Maybe the Switch will be the first console ever that will have two completely separate uses for playing, but it's way too early to be sure about that.
Kudos to Nintendo to get their act together. Late as a Regigigas, yet powerful as such, hehe

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't be so sure.
In the 3DS era, they managed the cheaters and those who pirated games in "blanket-bans". As soon as Maintenance mode entered, principally after a system update, they began to do bans to all people caught cheating online, or playing illegal copies of games/playing games online before the game even was released in their respective regions.
If what i've seen from Splatoon 2 mods and the very few MK8DX mods are doing online, it is certain that they'll make more of those bans with updates/maintenance, and also, ban people who tries to enter, according to what Michael said.

This is really, really interesting from the programming side of things. Maybe the Switch will be the first console ever that will have two completely separate uses for playing, but it's way too early to be sure about that.
Kudos to Nintendo to get their act together. Late as a Regigigas, yet powerful as such, hehe
The bans of the 3ds era are still unknown. I have cheated online, i have played tons of pirated cias online and my 3ds was never banned to this day. No devs is secure as to why the banwave happened and the most possible reason was for playing leaked games ahead of release.

The switch online security seems to be improved a lot, but that wont stop people from pirating or still finding ways to get online.

Shiro_The_Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what i wanna know is can we play backups of our own stuff , like running a modded switch version of skyrim , cause thats what i really want

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what i wanna know is can we play backups of our own stuff , like running a modded switch version of skyrim , cause thats what i really want
Yes but just keep in mind that even running a backup of a game you legitimately bought still runs the risk of a ban as you cannot play backups without modifying your system to do so. Also, LayeredFS is designed to work with modding in mind but it is still a work-in-progress.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work