Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Holy goddamned over-reaction...
Milk, soda, eggs, and juice have all doubled in price within the past 20 years. I suppose you've stopped partaking in them too?
Video games go up $10 in the past 20 years and it's the end of the fuckin world...

Pfft. That's not an overreaction. I've been pirating soda for the past 5 years.

But really, $70 is pretty pricey, at least to most normal consumers. I hope this is just a rumor.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Therein lies the slippery slope. At what point do you set the threshold between grind time and a micro-transaction upgrade?

EDIT: And we're talking EA here. EA's version of a slippery slope is a cash micro-transaction landslide that will cause your wallet to bleed just to get a +1 stat increase.
So you are suggesting that cheating (excuse me, I mean "purchasing upgrades instead of actually playing the game fairly") will eventually be the only way to beat a game?

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
With cheaper hardware now, and they sold the console for less than it takes to manufacture it. Up until 2010, Sony lost money each time it sold a console.
It's irrelevant... Inflation doesn't analyse the reasoning why an specific company set its product in a certain price or the production costs of it. Selling a product without having profit is more common than you might think, even supermarkets do that all the time with selected products just to attract more consumers. The inflation we use is the same for oranges, video games and oil, and all of have them have production costs and profit marges that changes with time.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It's irrelevant... Inflation doesn't analyse the reasoning why an specific company set its product in a certain price or the production costs of it. Selling a product without having profit is more common than you might think, even supermarkets do that all the time with selected products just to attract more consumers. The inflation we use is the same for oranges, video games and oil, and all of have them have production costs and profit marges that changes with time.
Your argument was flawed. The PS3 for sale now is very different from the launch PS3. You were comparing the prices of two different products.

Prices on electronics drop because they find cheaper ways to manufacture parts, because they stop including certain features, or both.

Reactions: Gahars

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pfft. That's not an overreaction. I've been pirating soda for the past 5 years.

But really, $70 is pretty pricey, at least to most normal consumers. I hope this is just a rumor.

For the 10th time in this thread, PS4 games are already officially annouced to be .99-60 dollars...

Reactions: JoostinOnline

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Your argument was flawed. The PS3 for sale now is very different from the launch PS3. You were comparing the prices of two different products.
This only means they changed their product to lower production costs and took some features away from it. It was merely an way to adapt to the market which was unwilling to pay such a high price for the console. They are different versions of the same product. I repeat, the production costs or the profit marge of a specific product of a specific company doesn't matter to determine inflation. The case I cited for the PS3 isn't an exception, it's a rule not only with consoles but with all products that use fairly recent technology in general since their prices tend to drop as time passes. That's why I think using inflation in this cases is counter-intuictive since these products prices doesn't match with what inflation foresee.

Reactions: chartube12

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No games require DLC to finish the game.

Alan Wake? Depending upon your viewpoint a lot of episodic games.

Going a bit further back I have had a few games come out with a "gold edition" which included features that really should have been bugfixes or otherwise did a lot to say the initial release was basically a user paid beta/give us a last round of investment so we can finish the game affair.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Piracy is now almost defeated, so they can charge more. But I do not trust on Michael Pachter at all. He said once that palyers would play wages every week or every month to play online, he said that around 2010, or 2011 and guess what? We still pay once to play call of duty every week until the end of the times.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Lol, not even close to close.
I still can't play for free on my 3DS and my Vita. I'm buying games for the first time on my life, so, it is defeated. People can talk about the Philosophy of hacking, Philosophy of piracy, but it is only bla bla bla, the fact is I can't pirate games for the system I already have for years, and for the newer systems it will happen as well, at least for 2 or 3 years after the release.

I just miss my $2,50 snes bootleg cartridges

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I don't know why this guy still gets any publicity when about 1% of what he says ever actually happens. Even then it is the most obvious predictions that anyone could guess.

Next gen titles probably will cost a bit more to start with, can I get paid now for my 'theory'?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alan Wake? Depending upon your viewpoint a lot of episodic games.

Going a bit further back I have had a few games come out with a "gold edition" which included features that really should have been bugfixes or otherwise did a lot to say the initial release was basically a user paid beta/give us a last round of investment so we can finish the game affair.
Alan Wake? Not so much.. The main game had an ending. The two DLCs merely added more content and a tad more exposition. Also, one of the two DLCs was free when you bought the game...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I still can't play for free on my 3DS and my Vita. I'm buying games for the first time on my life, so, it is defeated. People can talk about the Philosophy of hacking, Philosophy of piracy, but it is only bla bla bla, the fact is I can't pirate games for the system I already have for years, and for the newer systems it will happen as well, at least for 2 or 3 years after the release.

I just miss my $2,50 snes bootleg cartridges
Then again, no console has been hacked day one and even after the hack, it was limited to a certain feature or part of firmware. Just like the DS and its first flashcarts. They were released a few years after the console and the current gen type flashcarts quite a bit later. Sure you could say that Piracy is defeated in one way that people can't get the latest pirated ROMs working on the 3DS, but it doesn't mean that someone can't do it even now. Not everyone necessarily releases the exploits they have.

One of the largest reasons for piracy is the non-existent legal alternative in the market. If you look at the music business, the first idea from the major companies was to shoot down Spotify. Now it's making them profit. Maybe not the $20 a pop for CDs, but better than the $0 for the pirated alternative. Bootleg games are still available in another form due to change of tech used in consoles. DS bootlegs are widely rampart in developing countries (500in1 for DS!) and the modern alternative for disc based consoles is USB loaders or ODE. Sure you can get hacked CFW for pretty much every console this generation and run games from hardware, but it's not a viable solution for most due to the technical requirements (soldering components mainly).

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So you are suggesting that cheating (excuse me, I mean "purchasing upgrades instead of actually playing the game fairly") will eventually be the only way to beat a game?

That's the trend. Sucks, doesn't it?

There are many mobile games that are already structured this way. You have to pay or else it takes eons to advance. I'm not just talking freemium games either. There are games with an up-front purchase cost that sell you shortcuts. (Sentinel 3 comes to mind.)

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Doesn't everything this guy says turn out to be false? Why do people continue to quote him?
Stop whining, games are about 72 dollars after tax in Canada.
Lol, silly provincial taxes. I live in Alberta, where our supply of oil allows our games to be $63 after tax. Not to mention our gas prices are $0.20/L cheaper than everywhere else.
/arrogance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night