PS4 Pro announced, launches Nov 10, 2016 for $399

_91063531_ps4pro.jpg

Sony's mysterious PS4 Neo has been officially revealed as the PS4 Pro, and will be releasing this year on November 10, 2016. The console will cost $399USD/£349GBP, and will support 4K gaming and videos. Playstation VR will get a huge visual boost on the Pro, as well as older games getting "forward support" to allow them to be played in 4K resolution.

:arrow: You can see the entire conference, and GBAtemp's roundup of the event here.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, why do I need this when I have the OG PS4? Same question I asked about the New 3DS and it didn't appeal to me when I heard about it's specks. If it's because it runs faster or it's just 90% of what the PS4 could do, then I'm not buying this.

Last edited by LuxerWap,

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, why do I need this when I have the OG PS4? Same question I asked about the New 3DS and it didn't appeal to me when I heard about it's specks. If it's because it runs faster or it's just 90% of what the PS4 could do, then I'm not buying this.

To be fair when it comes to the N3DS it is noticably faster loading some of the later games (Smash Bros, for example) and downloading from the eShop, the browser is better, and the stable 3D actually works. If you're getting any model of 3DS, the N3DS models are the definitive models. It is worth the upgrade, but don't make it top priority or anything.

As for the PS4 Pro, is it in any way faster, better, more stable, etc? Or is the only advantage the 4K resolution? 'cause if so, this announcement is actually a god-send for me. Because in my experience whenever a new version of a console is announced, the local trend-chasing muppets all sell their older models, making them dirt cheap for people like me who don't give a rodent's rectum about 4K resolution. So this might shave a few extra quid off my inevitable PS4 investment :D

Reactions: Gray_Jack

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The eye can see well beyond that but your mind can't perceive at that pace without training. For example professional martial artists or jet fighter plane pilots tend to see at higher frames. I'm sure an experienced gamer can easily tell the difference from 30 to 60 frames per second.

I personally believe that a constant fps is more important. Without any stuttering or frame dips. Do you really need those extra 30 frames in that second? Most games, probably not but some competitive titles you might to get you an extra edge on the game.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7
not...quite. To put it simply, there's a difference between being able to discern frame-rates, and frame-rates influencing experience. Even if you can't distinguish between one frame the next, the increase of frames changes the "feel" of it in a way that you perceive in other ways other than "it ain't choppy".

Smoother and smoother gameplay will become less noticeable to the conscious naked eye, but will still improve the quality of the experience. And I agree, consistency is probably more important than higher framerate, but if you can have both, definitely that's best.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair when it comes to the N3DS it is noticably faster loading some of the later games (Smash Bros, for example) and downloading from the eShop, the browser is better, and the stable 3D actually works. If you're getting any model of 3DS, the N3DS models are the definitive models. It is worth the upgrade, but don't make it top priority or anything.

As for the PS4 Pro, is it in any way faster, better, more stable, etc? Or is the only advantage the 4K resolution? 'cause if so, this announcement is actually a god-send for me. Because in my experience whenever a new version of a console is announced, the local trend-chasing muppets all sell their older models, making them dirt cheap for people like me who don't give a rodent's rectum about 4K resolution. So this might shave a few extra quid off my inevitable PS4 investment :D
TL;DR: It's faster.

No buy from me then. Sorry.

D

Deleted-355425

Doesn't bother me. My TV can only just manage 1080p, it's in no danger of doing 4K resolution any time soon. And I can't afford either the console or a new TV to make the new shiny graphics mean anything.

Also, can we stop arguing about the pissing framerate already? It's so annoying how everyone judges games on whether or not they can hold up 60fps instead of how fun they are. You all act like anything below 60fps is like Atari 2600 stop-motion style blocky crap when the simple fact is that unless the dip is pretty severe, you wouldn't have noticed if your tracker app didn't tell you you momentarily dropped down to 59fps and therefore the game is garbage. How about you switch that shit off and just play the bloody games? It's gotten old.

I have no 4K Tv but I want the pro for the psvr :)

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Specs have been confirmed 4.2 TFLOP's under the hood. Still uses Jaguar cores instead of Puma, which is odd as they could increase efficiency without affecting compatibility.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-07-sony-announces-playstation-4-pro
Who actually cares about how many 'flops' something has? That's not representative of anything. If you're going to sell a console sell the features not some abstract number.

Actually it can see 40 from what some say but the trained eye can see more
Are we having this argument again? Dear god.

Last edited by Hking0036,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Who actually cares about how many 'flops' something has? That's not representative of anything. If you're going to sell a console sell the features not some abstract number.
I do, because I don't want to buy garbage hardware that's obsolete the day I buy it, gets very little support and ends up being a paperweight with a huge touchscreen controller that whole 2 games use effectively. "Features" are great, but they need some heat in the oven. Also I'm a hardware nut, so specs analysis is what interests and entertains me.

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do, because I don't want to buy garbage hardware that's obsolete the day I buy it, gets very little support and ends up being a paper weight with a huge touchscreen controller that whole 2 games use effectively. Also I'm a hardware nut, so specs analysis are what interests and entertains
me.
ok, but how does comparing flops give you any information about it? saying, "the ps4 pro will have higher clock speed for better framerates and support for 4k and VR" is one thing, saying "the ps4 pro has 4.5 Terraflops of processing power" is another. No PC parts are measured in number of flops, they're measured by clock speed or framerate benchmarks. Granted, benchmarks can be hit or miss but it's a more tangible value than the number of "flops" something can process.

Last edited by Hking0036,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
No ps5 will be released since the ps4 pro will be upgradable for future support.
sure, you upgrade it by replacing with the newer model!

Yes its far too powerful to run at such a low framerate!

:gun:

sony be like: well, display a mona lisa painting in hyper platinum resolution and call it a game, no one wants a mooving picture on their screen!
let's display at 16k at 1 frame peer minute, everyone loves big screens right?

It seems like it's just some form of upscaling. Eurogamer confirmed that the GPU used by the PS4 Pro can do 1440p at max.

So yeah, I suppose they're using the same marketing guy that marketed No Man's Sky for them when saying that the PS4 Pro is 4K.

https://twitter.com/StuffTV/status/773609999381790720
is the new ps4 pro just a ps4 with a upscalling dongle? like thoose wii hdmi dongles?

come on, if it doesnt' support 4k blu rays, there is something here that is wrong...
i bet they will use the "blu ray drive is too slow" wildcard!

Last edited by migles,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ok, but how does comparing flops give you any information about it? saying, "the ps4 pro will have higher clock speed for better framerates and support for 4k and VR" is one thing, saying "the ps4 pro has 4.5 Terraflops" of processing power is another. No PC parts are measured in number of flops, they're measured by clock speed or framerate benchmarks. Benchmarks can be hit or miss but it's a more tangible value than the number of "flops" something can process.
Absolutely false, all GPU's and CPU's are measured by operations per second, be it Floating Point or Integer. Clock speed means nothing in terms of performance, it's just a measure of cycles the processor completes per second, it doesn't give you a faintest idea what the processor actually does per cycle. What this "tells me" is that the new PS4 is about 2.28 times beefier than the standard 1.84 TFLOP's model.

Reactions: Gray_Jack

th3joker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There needs to be a upgrade policy in place. $100 + original ps4 = ps4p. Bet gamestop will have something like it but still rape on them trade in value of the ops4.

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely false, all GPU's and CPU's are measured by operations per second, be it Floating Point or Integer. Clock speed means nothing in terms of performance, it's just a measure of cycles the processor completes per second, if has nothing to do with performance. What it "tells me" is that the new PS4 is about 2.28 times beefier than the standard 1.84 TFLOP's model.
I don't think I've ever seen a flop comparison before this console generation, but I guess I'll take your word for it. To me it just seems more like a number for people to throw around at each other over an argument on who's console is better.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As someone who made the upgrade from the O3DS to the N3DS, it is absolutely worth it. Granted I hacked my N3DS, so a lot of the features I enjoy on the device are courtesy of our scene here and those like it. Without the homebrew community, I might not have found nearly as much value in the N3DS, but even still I think I would have wanted it, there are a lot of great features to appreciate in the new models. Helps that I also went from the standard O3DS to an N3DSXL, I was wanting to get an XL regardless, when the New models were introduced at just the right time for me to wait and hold off until they came out in America.

Beyond that, I was then able to gift my old 3DS to a buddy of mine who didn't have one and now we play pokemon and other multilayer games together. Everyone's situation is different, but for me the upgrade really was a no-brainer

Last edited by duffmmann,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think I've ever seen a flop comparison before this console generation, but I guess I'll take your word for it. To me it just seems more like a number for people to throw around at each other over an argument on who's console is better.
TFLOP's is a measurement we reached recently as we reached the 1 TFLOP milestone, prior to that we used GFLOP's for GPU's. It's a concise unit of processing power which admittedly doesn't translate directly to real-life performance, but it gives you a fair idea of what to expect. CPU's used to be compared with MIPS's (millions of instructions per second) since their Floating Point performance isn't particularly important, but since different architectures use different amounts of instructions to do the same task, the measurement is more rare and only demonstrates a precise difference in performance when comparing two chips in the same architecture. Clock speed is the true jerk-off metric as it doesn't really mean anything beyond the frequency, see MHz Myth. The more you know. ;)

Just as a side note, the first time I remember FLOP's being used was in reference to the PS2/GC/Xbox, but I'm sure similar comparisons existed in the past, even when the jerk off metric was still bits.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't care about 4K. I certainly don't care about PSVR (you think the Wii U Gamepad is a novelty, wait and see about that one...). What would be useful is 1080p60 across all games, no exceptions. I wanna go back and play The Witcher 3, inFAMOUS: Second Son[/i] and some others with a rock solid framerate. I'd rather it didn't come in a package that didn't look like a big burnt club sandwich, but hey, you can't have it all.

Think I'm still more interested in the Nintendo NX. I'd love to see that with whatever weird and wonderful features/quirks/gimmicks Nintendo load into it, still based on a PowerPC core so we can get perfect Wii U/Wii/GameCube backward compatibility. Nintendo tend to go for only the one generation backwards but if vWiiU can be made to run vWii we'll have everything that's great about the Wii U plus all the home-brew across platforms. Still more interesting to me than a PS4 with a power upgrade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto