• Total voters

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
This could be a Double Edge Sword for Sony. I mean The Xbox One could end up being the Wii of this Gen if you know what I mean

That's the problem with Microsoft. Unlike Sony and Nintendo they have no games. Yes they announced 15 exclusives games for the first year and 8 of them being New IPs. But how many of them are Kinect Games?

Kinect now is NOT optional

No. It will not. The Wii was a runaway hit because of motion controls, price, Nintendo games, the family oriented gaming library and because fucktons of families bought it for the sake of exercising with Wii Sports. I know a lot, and I mean A LOT of families who bought it basically so that the kid shuts up and mommy can exercise. I'm sorry, but I see no indication that the X1 is significantly lower priced than the PS4 (I doubt it will) or that they have enough features that appeal to families other than Kinect and Netflix. The PS4 can do virtually everything that the X1 can do gaming related (other than Kinect integration, but we don't really know much about Move), which makes this a very incorrect analogy.

I'm not sure. I mean, I think there's only so many words that sound good with Kinect. What the fuck is next? Kinectisex?

Also, the whole Sony and Nintendo have no games thing is ironic given the current status of the Wii U and the PS Vita. I mean, I know more games are coming for both, but it's still pretty funny.

I thought the Wii U was the Wii of this generation.

Just unsuccessful.
Well, basically everything is the same, except for the market focus I guess and the feature set lacking anything for mommy and fat uncle to play around with.

An old Chinese saying: "To want is not enough, you have to know how". :tpi:
Well, their idea is basically to make a console with just good enough specs to be better than last gen's consoles, slap some Nintendo games on 'em, and hope that the gamers flock to them.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
What the Specs has to do with this? If they are after the Hardcore Gamer they are after them. If they are successful or not that's another topic
It depends on how you define "being after" someone; it's true that they would very much like hardcore gamers to return to their consoles, but what steps are they taking to make it happen?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It depends on how you define "being after" someone; it's true that they would very much like hardcore gamers to return to their consoles, but what steps are they taking to make it happen?
Well, to be fair, they did go multicore - that's a step forwards. They did give the console several times the RAM/VRAM of the PS3/360 too. I think Nintendo just had a hard time... imagining that the generation jump will be that huge - they wanted to top the PS3 and 360 and capitalize on that, unfortunately they did so a little late. I think if the WiiU was released 2-3 years earlier than it was, gamers would accept it with a round of applause because the hardware would've been relevant. Now it's... well... lackluster.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
"Hey guys... we have... Zelda? And Metroid... And Smash Brothers... And we finally upgraded our 480 quality... So... buy this?"

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, to be fair, they did go multicore - that's a step forwards. They did give the console several times the RAM/VRAM of the PS3/360 too. I think Nintendo just had a hard time... imagining that the generation jump will be that huge - they wanted to top the PS3 and 360 and capitalize on that, unfortunately they did so a little late. I think if the WiiU was released 2-3 years earlier than it was, gamers would accept it with a round of applause because the hardware would've been relevant. Now it's... well... lackluster.

To be fair, I think Nintendo might have known that they would be behind the competition. I could be entirely wrong, but I think they hoped that, by launching a year early, they could capture the market early and block Sony and Microsoft out. The graphics gap wouldn't really matter if mostly everyone just owns your console already.

Unfortunately for them, people have been mostly indifferent to the Wii U, and now it'll have to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft's consoles. I expect they'll slash the price by the holiday season, but price cut or no price cut, it's going to be an uphill battle.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

Exactly but since now the Xbox One and Microsoft are ditching the hardcore gamer suddenly a lot of people are starting to like the Wii U

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be fair, I think Nintendo might have known that they would be behind the competition. I could be entirely wrong, but I think they hoped that, by launching a year early, they could capture the market early and block Sony and Microsoft out. The graphics gap wouldn't really matter if mostly everyone just owns your console already.

Unfortunately for them, people have been mostly indifferent to the Wii U, and now it'll have to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft's consoles. I expect they'll slash the price by the holiday season, but price cut or no price cut, it's going to be an uphill battle.
Yeah, that's another thing. Still, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. ;)

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the current generation, didn't the computational power of the systems look like this:

Wii<Xbox 360<PS3

But the sales figures look like this:

PS3<Xbox 360<Wii

Just sayin'

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Exactly but since now the Xbox One and Microsoft are ditching the hardcore gamer suddenly a lot of people are starting to like the Wii U
No. The X1 being ass didn't really make anyone begin to like the Wii U. If anything, the positive effect is on the PS4 and not the Wii U. Like, "Hey, here's this more powerful console without nearly as much bullshit as the X1."

In the current generation, didn't the computational power of the systems look like this:

Wii<Xbox 360<PS3

PS3<Xbox 360<Wii

Just sayin'
These consoles aren't the same as their predecessors. The Wii is not the Wii U, because it doesn't have nearly as much appeal to a family or an older or younger audience because it doesn't have a price point or a feature set that is as attractive as the Wii. The X1 is not the X360, because Microsoft is more focused on transforming it into an all-purpose machine. The PS4 is not the PS3, due to the fact that the PS4's game support and emphasis on game development is much heavier than before. They are different deals, and this is a different generation.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Wii<Xbox 360<PS3

PS3<Xbox 360<Wii

Just sayin'
The Wii had a selling point of the WiiMote which actually worked from Day 1 plus it was half-price compared to its competition. The Wii U's gamepad doesn't attract customers and the system doesn't sell because the 360 and the PS3 are still cheaper alternatives.

Nintendo counted on the PS3 and 360 to get pulled off the market when their successors surface but that won't happen - low-cost versions will emerge instead because the PS4 and the XBox One are not Backwards Compatible. We already have the Super Slim PS3, now it's time for a Super Slim 360.

You were saying?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii had a selling point of the WiiMote which actually worked from Day 1 plus it was half-price compared to its competition. The Wii U's gamepad doesn't attract customers and the system doesn't sell because the 360 and the PS3 are still cheaper alternatives.

Nintendo counted on the PS3 and 360 to get pulled off the market when their successors surface but that won't happen - low-cost versions will emerge instead. We already have the Super Slim PS3, now it's time for a Super Slim 360.

You were saying?

I was saying that raw computational power has little effect on the success or failure of a system. It seems you would agree with me.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was saying that raw computational power has little effect on the success or failure of a system. It seems you would agree with me.
The success of a system is determined by a variety of factors, not just one factor. Raw computational power is what pushed the NES ahead of the Atari systems. Raw computational power was what gave the Genesis the upper hand before the SNES entered the market.

A successful system is a system that balances it constituent parts - it has to have approachable, relevant hardware, a library of titles for a variety of audiences and a price point that's within reach of the average consumer. Excel in some of those and you've got yourself a winner.

I guarantee you that if the Wii didn't cost next to nothing and wasn't marketed as well as it was (so that every parent and grandparent wanted to get one for their kids PLUS the hardcore Nintendo fans were excited PLUS the casual gamers jumped it) it would not sell nearly as well on its own merit.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I guarantee you that if the Wii didn't cost next to nothing and wasn't marketed as well as it was (so that every parent and grandparent wanted to get one for their kids PLUS the hardcore Nintendo fans were excited PLUS the casual gamers jumped it) it would not sell nearly as well on its own merit.
I think he's talking about PS4 VS Xbox One, you know, the topic of the thread. "Computing power alone doesn't determine the success or failure", i.e. "doesn't mean the PS4 will sell better than the Xbox One."

Reactions: PityOnU

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
No. The X1 being ass didn't really make anyone begin to like the Wii U. If anything, the positive effect is on the PS4 and not the Wii U. Like, "Hey, here's this more powerful console without nearly as much bullshit as the X1."

These consoles aren't the same as their predecessors. The Wii is not the Wii U, because it doesn't have nearly as much appeal to a family or an older or younger audience because it doesn't have a price point or a feature set that is as attractive as the Wii. The X1 is not the X360, because Microsoft is more focused on transforming it into an all-purpose machine. The PS4 is not the PS3, due to the fact that the PS4's game support and emphasis on game development is much heavier than before. They are different deals, and this is a different generation.

http://n4g.com/news/1262481/where-was-the-illumiroom#c-7622590

941625_595673667133187_1222426641_n.jpg

http://n4g.com/news/1263431/what-does-the-xbox-one-mean-for-wii-u

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think he's talking about PS4 VS Xbox One, you know, the topic of the thread. "Computing power alone doesn't determine the success or failure", i.e. "doesn't mean the PS4 will sell better than the Xbox One."
I was building up on that idea which is why I said that the XBox One vs. PS4 vs. Wii U will be a confrontation as any other - many variables will come into play and now is not the time to determine which one will have the upper hand - we need more data than just raw specs.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
To be honest, like that guy in your image, I don't think that the Wii U even competes with the X1, since they're not even on the same wavelength. It pretty clearly competes with the PS4. All this does is show that the X1 is shit, and you shouldn't buy it. Most of these comments, at best, show that "no one's going to buy an X1 since it's ass, so people will probably buy PS4's instead, and people who want to play Nintendo games will still buy the Wii U." Not, "because it's ass, everyone thinks that the Wii U is a great console." No one's going to buy a Wii U to replace something like the X1.

For example, in the previous gen, I rarely saw people own X360 + PS3 since it had little point, since neither had enough exclusives or features individual to them to justify getting both. The people that had two consoles mostly had Wii + PS3/X360 combos.

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Who the hell cares what system is more powerful than the other.

Each system aims for a demographic in its own way.

Nintendo has his exclusives, Sony has their powerful still easy machine, Microsoft has their Americans with their Netflix or cable TV.

History will repeat itself, Nintendo with a low priced machine (speculation, don't bash me) an their exclusives will attract most people, Sony will have their hardcore gamers, and once again Microsoft will fail to enter the Japanese market and with their current media-center strategy, will also probably fail in Europe.

Plus THE FRIGGIN MACHINE NEEDS INTERNET AND BLOCKS USED GAMES.

Who the hell wants that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fuckin heavy storm over here