PS3 HEN Ban Risk without Homebrew Installed at all? (I know, it sounds silly...)

Kobun42PS3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, everyone. I know some of y'all have seen hundreds of these "ban risk on hen????" questions but hear me out here. I know this is about to sound TOTALLY BACKWARDS, but...

What's the ban risk on PS3Hen without any homebrew on the system? I have NO interest in running backups, doing anything related to piracy, or homebrew. I just want to add a LITTLE more freedom to my PS3 and I thought this would be the best course of action to have a lower ban risk than going full CFW.

So many of these "ban risk" questions always assume the user has homebrew so I figured I'd SPECIFICALLY ask if I have no interest in doing anything I stated prior. If anything, I'd likely install a couple discontinued PKGs that were free when they were available on PSN for nostalgia's sake and either stay on HEN if there's little risk to what I'm doing or go back to OFW if there's still a ban risk... and I also heard you could get the older PSN store on HEN with a little trick so I'd like to try that because the new PSN store IS AGONY. If that adds towards my ban risk do let me know. ( I only know that $0NY records what games you play -- confirmed by SCEE allowing you to request a log of your PSN play history for privacy reasons -- such a log includes next to everything, even including titles that don't have valid IDs and would get you banned!)

I once did this years prior using the old Backup Injection method when that still worked and nothing ever happened to my PSN account or console -- until I formatted the console years later due to some rather unfortunate circumstances -- but unfortunately it seems like I had been living under a rock for some time beause I just learned today that such an exploit doesn't work anymore. This is the only method left that seems mostly feasible to me.

That being said -- what do you think my risk is? Yes, I know. I'm probably gonna be flamed for "wasting" HEN, being a total moron, or something but it's not like I can install pkgs that were discontinued years ago just for nostalgia on OFW, so here I am. I tried asking on reddit almost a year ago and the post got deleted with no reasoning or anything so this is one of the only places I can really ask about it.

Last edited by Kobun42PS3,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's really no reason to install it, if you don't plan on using it. Doesn't matter what you run or what your reasons are for using HEN if HEN is detected it will be banned, simple as that.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Kobun42PS3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's really no reason to install it, if you don't plan on using it. Doesn't matter what you run or what your reasons are for using HEN if HEN is detected it will be banned, simple as that.
Likelihood is I'd probably only have it for at most an hour before I go back just to install the said files, so if I don't sign in during the period HEN is on maybe I'd be good? Then just go back (as in, reinstall OFW) and I might be fine?

That's at least what it seems to me. As long as I don't sign in while HFW is installed it'd be good unless someone tells me otherwise. Just waiting for a second opinion before I go through with anything (or maybe just not do it because I know this is a stupid idea lol)

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Likelihood is I'd probably only have it for at most an hour before I go back just to install the said files, so if I don't sign in during the period HEN is on maybe I'd be good? Then just go back and I might be fine?
I can't be sure as I've never run HEN and have only used CFW. I'm not sure if it leaves any residual traces that can be detected or not without wiping the system but I'm sure someone else will be along to let you know.

Actually there is a thread just about that below this one:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/if-you-remove-ps3hen-from-your-system-can-you-still-be-banned.611765/

Kobun42PS3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't be sure as I've never run HEN and have only used CFW. I'm not sure if it leaves any residual traces that can be detected or not without wiping the system but I'm sure someone else will be along to let you know.

Actually there is a thread just about that below this one
The thread listed was quite helpful but it does seem to mention homebrew like multiman. I'd say I'd probably be fine provided I don't sign in on PSN while HFW is on but I'll wait a little longer to get a second opinion on that for certain.

Unless there's a way to install external PKGs on OFW (i.e. from a custom webserver or something) that'd allow me to install said pkgs without ever instaling HFW, but I doubt such a thing exists.

EDIT: Gauging my risk myself -- considering HFW doesn't make too many edits to the actual firmware or leaves traces in NOR like CFW PLUS I'm not planning on installing anything that'd be considered homebrew or pirated, I'd say it'd be safe if I don't activate HEN while or before logging into PSN. However, just to be as clean as possible, best course of action would be to install the PKG files and then promptly reinstall OFW. It probably won't raise much if any red flags as what I'm installing were previously free apps on PSN -- meaning they ARE originally signed code and have valid title ids unlike homebrew. Still would like a second opinion on this just to be certain, but it's seeming like as long as I don't ACTIVATE HEN on PSN, I'll be okay.

Last edited by Kobun42PS3,

Eveldee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never used but I guess it works the same than with CFW, just disable syscalls and clear syscalls history each time you need to log in to PSN and you should be fine. In 3 years I never got a ban or anything, even while playing some multiplayer games this game.
Note that just having HEN/CFW installed without any homebrew could get you banned if you don't use proper tools to avoid that (webman, cobra, SEN Enabler, ...)

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@

Kobun42PS3

the PS3 store is a drag to go through HELL even the download list is a drag. i have 2 delisted games on my download list and there all the way at the bottom of 4000 plus downloaded PSN games i paid for over the years and that also has PSP and Vita games i really wish those we not on my list...

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there has been some new ban wave recently or something?
You should always take precautions before playing online or even connecting to PSN, for cfw users they should deactivate cfw temporarily (don't worry it'lk back to normal after reboot), load disc based games with webmanmod before connecting to psn, don't use cheats, mods & trainers etc.
Online. Spoof to a the latest fw if you're not already on the latest fw.
Also not sure if you can deactivate hen like with cfw, but if you can you should do it.
and always use a dummy account, and not your main one that has purchases, games etc.

Kobun42PS3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, I know I should still be careful with what I'm doing. I used to have a CFW PS3 Slim that got CID banned presumably due to my own stupidity -- but the last thing I remember before the ban was that I just kinda accidentally entered the Bomberman Ultra multiplayer mode, left, and then the very next day there was that dreaded message.

It definitely wasn't because of the game (unless I have found a secret game that does the old COD/GTA eboot shtick but considering what this game is I HIGHLY doubt such a thing) -- rather it was probably auto log-in that I never bothered to turn off on my account at the time plus maybe a couple times forgetting to disable syscalls. Admittedly, that time I was a bit more reckless but these days I consider myself far more careful with this type of stuff. I never turn on auto log-in on a PS3 anymore in general,

Now, I used to have CFW on this very PS3 I'm working with (about 2-3 years ago) before it had to be formatted and no bans have occurred -- mostly because I rarely went on PSN during the time period I had CFW and when I did I actually disabled syscalls and kept it on the down low (did it for VERY QUICK in-and-out tasks and never bothered to use my main account. Never really played a game on PSN while on CFW.)

Now what I want to know is if $0ny could potentially catch me with HEN if I don't even go online with it. I know there's some sneaky telemetry shiz in the OFW firmware sprx files -- my own digging about 2 or so years prior confirms that alongside plenty of other people's findings in the PS3 scene, so there's at least a POSSIBILITY, but I won't even have it for long as I'd be going back to OFW in mere minutes afterwards. I'd still take necessary precautions, of course, considering what happened to my slim.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, I know I should still be careful with what I'm doing. I used to have a CFW PS3 Slim that got CID banned presumably due to my own stupidity -- but the last thing I remember before the ban was that I just kinda accidentally entered the Bomberman Ultra multiplayer mode, left, and then the very next day there was that dreaded message.

It definitely wasn't because of the game (unless I have found a secret game that does the old COD/GTA eboot shtick but considering what this game is I HIGHLY doubt such a thing) -- rather it was probably auto log-in that I never bothered to turn off on my account at the time plus maybe a couple times forgetting to disable syscalls. Admittedly that time I was a bit more reckless but these days I consider myself far more careful with this type of stuff. I never turn on auto log-in anymore,

I feel I'm better with this stuff now as I used to have CFW on this very PS3 I'm working with (about 2-3 years ago) before it had to be formatted and no bans have occurred -- mostly because I rarely went on PSN during the time period I had CFW and when I did I actually disabled syscalls and kept it on the down low (did it for VERY QUICK in-and-out tasks and never bothered to use my main account. Never really played a game on PSN while on CFW.)

Now what I want to know is if $0ny could potentially catch me with HEN if I don't even go online with it. I know there's some sneaky telemetry shiz in the OFW firmware sprx files -- my own digging about 2 or so years prior confirms that alongside plenty of other people's findings in the PS3 scene, so there's at least a POSSIBILITY, but I won't even have it for long as I'd be going back to OFW in mere minutes afterwards. I'd still take necessary precautions, of course, considering what happened to my slim.
We're not sure what Sony can see. I just suggest not using your legit account if you've made purchases or care about syncing trophies.

Kobun42PS3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I want to know now is if sony would be able to figure out what I did after I had gone back onto OFW. I figure maybe I should wait a week or two (as I've heard that's the flagging period) before doing remotely anything on PSN and even then only ever use a burner account for some time afterwards (maybe even as long as I have the PS3? I dunno; even then HFW would be off the system but I'd still like to be careful).

I really don't know for CERTAIN all of this stuff because $0ny is $0ny and they most likely know more about our own PS3s than we will ever know.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I want to know now is if sony would be able to figure out what I did after I had gone back onto OFW. I figure maybe I should wait a week or two (as I've heard that's the flagging period) before doing remotely anything on PSN and even then only ever use a burner account for some time afterwards (maybe even as long as I have the PS3? I dunno; even then HFW would be off the system but I'd still like to be careful).

I really don't know for CERTAIN all of this stuff because $0ny is $0ny and they most likely know more about our own PS3s than we will ever know.
there's no telling, which is why that do suggest reformatting the drive as well if you're going back to ofw. I remember Habib saying that even changing your idps is actually detectable. however, the fact that sony said it was hack proof may be dubious as to what they can and can't see. they may not have put in enough safeguards. it sounds like they have with the ps5 (not sure about the ps4).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated