Can i update my Emunand WITHOUT updating sysnad? also can i update it even if the console is banned? and a few other questions from a newcomer.

track02

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor
Hello, i just bought a v1 unpatched switch from a vendor who for some ungodly reason did not create a emunand and installed tinfoil to the sysnand, he also didn't create a backup either so at this point i'm pretty sure the second i connect it to the internet without 90DNS (which i'm currently using) i will get insta banned. Also i since it came with only a 64 gb sd card and i have a larger one and i went and redo the whole process again and this time i did make a Emunand myself so that at least i don't risk bricking the console if i ever do something wrong (and yes i also created a backup of the sysnand, abeilt it being tained due to tinfoil but still, i really don't want to brick the console)

It so happens that i own a second nintendo switch that is not hacked and at such i really don't mind if the hacked one is banned so long as i'm able to play single player games and use homebrew, but that got me thinking that eventually there will be games that require newer firmware versions, so i want to ask: can i update the EMUNAND without touching the sysnand?

If nintendo were to release, say, firmware 16, can i update my emunand from it's current 15.0.1, and leave the sysnand on 15.0.1 never to be update it again? or do i HAVE to update the sysnand to update the emunand?

Another question i want to ask, if my emunand were to hypothetically get corrupted for whatever reason, for example from updating the emunand firmware, can i just redo the whole process and create another emunand based of the sysnand that i did not update from? These questions may sound dumb to you but really need to ask because this is my first time dealing with homebrew on the switch, i know the Emunand won't probably save me from a ban (that i don't really care that much since, as i mentioned before, i own a second non hacked switch) but on the very least i want to lower my chance of bricking my console as much as possible.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, i just bought a v1 unpatched switch from a vendor who for some ungodly reason did not create a emunand and installed tinfoil to the sysnand, he also didn't create a backup either so at this point i'm pretty sure the second i connect it to the internet without 90DNS (which i'm currently using) i will get insta banned. Also i since it came with only a 64 gb sd card and i have a larger one and i went and redo the whole process again and this time i did make a Emunand myself so that at least i don't risk bricking the console if i ever do something wrong (and yes i also created a backup of the sysnand, abeilt it being tained due to tinfoil but still, i really don't want to brick the console)

It so happens that i own a second nintendo switch that is not hacked and at such i really don't mind if the hacked one is banned so long as i'm able to play single player games and use homebrew, but that got me thinking that eventually there will be games that require newer firmware versions, so i want to ask: can i update the EMUNAND without touching the sysnand?

If nintendo were to release, say, firmware 16, can i update my emunand from it's current 15.0.1, and leave the sysnand on 15.0.1 never to be update it again? or do i HAVE to update the sysnand to update the emunand?

Another question i want to ask, if my emunand were to hypothetically get corrupted for whatever reason, for example from updating the emunand firmware, can i just redo the whole process and create another emunand based of the sysnand that i did not update from? These questions may sound dumb to you but really need to ask because this is my first time dealing with homebrew on the switch, i know the Emunand won't probably save me from a ban (that i don't really care that much since, as i mentioned before, i own a second non hacked switch) but on the very least i want to lower my chance of bricking my console as much as possible.
Your questions were answered in this thread. Please use that thread next time for future reference.

Reactions: binkinator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol