wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
mascot.gif
PS3 HACKED
NEW Scene News
ps3-logo2.jpg

Geohot has claimed to have hacked the Playstation 3. According to his post the process took "5 weeks, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software." The hack currently has read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. Please read the project post for more information.

Thanks to hiratai_ via IRC for the heads-up​

icon11.gif
Project Post
discuss.png
Discuss

Teny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems interesting, but I don't think I will hack my PS3 when I get one. I will see how the process is like though.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
I'll believe this when it actually comes out.
Why won't you believe this? This guy is already known to be a great hacker since he was the first one to make a Jailbreak for iPod Touch Firmware 3.0 and above. And also is the first and only one to ever make a jailbreak for the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Hacked" is such a generic word. What are the implications of this, what could it lead to? RSX access in Linux? PS3-native homebrew? Piracy?

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope it can be for the ps3 slim..
biggrin.gif
Well Homebrew on the ps3 that be awsome considering I can't put liinux on the slim :/

WEll he never said anything about releasing it did he?

Rtrace

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.robsden.info
XP
Country
United States
Justin121994 said:
Hope it can be for the ps3 slim..
biggrin.gif
Well Homebrew on the ps3 that be awsome considering I can't put liinux on the slim :/

"...I'm not revealing it yet"

I think the yet means he is releasing it some day.

fairlyevenparents

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Justin121994 said:

If you go the the -> Project post, link
In the last paragraph ,first sentence he says "As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet."

Edit: rtrace beat me to it
tongue.gif

Rtrace

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.robsden.info
XP
Country
United States
zuriel102 said:
Justin121994 said:

If you go the the -> Project post, link
In the last paragraph ,first sentence he says "As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet."

Edit: rtrace beat me to it
tongue.gif
You know when he says yet I really hope he means before June, I'd like to get to play around with a PS3 hack before I get shipped off to Basic Training, however my money is on modchip right now so maybe I'll be boned as there is no way I'll bother to pay for a modchip when I'm probably just going to play me some Mario on the PS3 (I own every one of the games, but the PS3 playing Nintendo game thing is so thick with yummy deliciousness that I just can't resist it), so hopefully this is something software based.

djbubba2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Dont get your hopes up yet ... he didnt fine the keys yet ..
i hope he will get them .. we can run homebrew then woot

nehe32

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Covarr said:
"Hacked" is such a generic word. What are the implications of this, what could it lead to? RSX access in Linux? PS3-native homebrew? Piracy?
yeah, i guess you didnt quite read the post, did you?

QUOTEThe hack currently has read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. Please read the project post for more information.

obviously it means that you could at least write programs or files to the hardrive, so when development libraries and programs are able to be written, people will be able to transfer them to the PS3 similar to the first exploit on the wii. i.e it could lead to ps3-native homebrew and piracy

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it means sh!t, unless you have proof.

btw I hacked the world, now I own it? Don't jump on that bandwagon little kiddies, you may get hurt in the end.

Peace

Wynd

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't resist the temptation to comment. This guy is very good at what he does, but as it was said in the post, it takes hardware AND software so at the very least I'll bet it will be a modchip and will take another 6 months to a year to even develop any kind of real "HELLO WORLD" not to mention a second 6 months to year for anyone to understand the development enough to really use the exploit for something tangible. We're talking about 1 of the most complicated pieces of hardware known to man(Cell). Sounds funny but it IS state of the art in almost every way. Think about it.

Props to him, I believe it, I feel it's pretty credible, more credible than Paradox telling us they had it hacked(ISO Loader) 2 years ago in their .nfo's.

C175R

GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
daaaaayum!
ohmy.gif

I hope this get release soon!
the only thing i ask is being able to play PS3 games from usb hdd since I don't have a bluray burner.
frown.gif

If Discs are the only way to do it then I would buy it though...but it would be better if its from usb hdd.
tongue.gif

(I know I'm asking too much but...hey lemme dream
rolleyes.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @a_username_that_is_cool, happy birthdayn't