PS Jailbreak - The first PS3 Modchip

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just kidding
biggrin.gif
It took months for the Wii HDD problems to be ironed out, a few days won't make much differnece, I'd wait a while before spending your cash.
[/quote]

I know you were :-) but yeah..I want to be sure that it works before coughing up 129 bucks..which isnt that bad but still, if its confirmed working and the NTFS issue is fixed when its released then I will be buying it..it will be worth it..to be able to backup ALL games, both present and future heck yeah I'll buy it :-) I just want to be able to put everything on my external drive instead of games being scattered all over the place..its better to store them in 1 place

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Exbaddude said:
Hmm ... I still don't get what this does :/
By reading the entire topic, you could've known
wink.gif

This USB Dongle actually turns every PS3 out there into a Debug unit, and a Debug unit can load unsigned code (which is a Backup Manager/Loader, in this case).

Gus122000

Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Exbaddude said:
Hmm ... I still don't get what this does :/
wink.gif

This USB Dongle actually turns every PS3 out there into a Debug unit, and a Debug unit can load unsigned code (which is a Backup Manager/Loader, in this case).

wink.gif
I know you're a mod and all but I hope you're kidding.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lol to everyone who doesn't "get" how it works. Read at least some of the post entries before posting.

anyway the spammers have begun spamming.

check this video of a user claiming that you can jailbreak any ps3 just by downloading some questionable files

oh theres a suspicious antivirus scan link at the top too

*snipped url*

their using ozmodchip's video as "proof", such fail.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeathClown said:
By the time I have the cash for a ps3 and one of these, Sony will have some way to make it useless. Pretty cool if it's not a hoax though.

it isn't a hoax various reputable sources have confirmed it including a famous coder Mathielh(I'm probably spelling that wrong) so yeah just a matter of time before we can get some solid reviews of this debug stick.

joybeba6679

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks real tho there is really no point for this if sony can fix it and make it useless, besides its incredibly expensive, for that price they have to garantee sony will not be able to bann people from psn, and I think they cant promise that...

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
joybeba6679 said:
Looks real tho there is really no point for this if sony can fix it and make it useless, besides its incredibly expensive, for that price they have to garantee sony will not be able to bann people from psn, and I think they cant promise that...

the price will eventually go down and it has an upgradable firmware built in so a cat and mouse scenario between the devs of the debug device and sony is possible. Worst case scenario is that as the price goes down for the stick, sony starts cracking down on distributors.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joybeba6679 said:

Even if Sony releases some firmware update to make this thing useless, just don't update the firmware..its kinda like the Ipod Jailbreak, Apple keeps on releasing updates to kill it, just don't update..that is what I do..if you dont update it cant be killed am I right

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think i may buy it or wait for someone to decrypt the dongle and make a program to make your own simmilar to making a Magic Memory stick for the psp btw the guy above me yeah thats true but don't forget PSN would be useless w/o the update

celticone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
joybeba6679 said:
Only half (most likely less) play online so it's not a major deal, you take your preference like the X360.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
chrisrlink said:
I think i may buy it or wait for someone to decrypt the dongle and make a program to make your own simmilar to making a Magic Memory stick for the psp
It has an MCU in it. I see that event as quite difficult.
Still, I don't actually know how a Jig Device for the PS3 works, but I don't think that they've put an MCU in there just to hide some files in it.

Cheap chinese clones? Definitely yes.
Easy D-I-Y with USB pendrives? Probably not.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
chrisrlink said:
I think i may buy it or wait for someone to decrypt the dongle and make a program to make your own simmilar to making a Magic Memory stick for the psp
It has a MCU in it. I see that event as quite difficult. Still, I don't actually know how a Jig Device for the PS3 works, but I don't think that they've put an MCU in there just to hide some files in it.

Cheap chinese clones? Probably yes.
Easy D-I-Y with USB pendrives? Probably not.

do you think firmware upgrades of the device would make it operable on future ps3 FW version(s) or just allow you to rip and play games with higher firmware requirements?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
DigitalDeviant said:
do you think firmware upgrades of the device would make it operable on future ps3 FW version(s) or just allow you to rip and play games with higher firmware requirements?
Without an high-res macroed picture of the MCU, I can't know the precise model of the MCU, so I can't still assure that.

It's probably a reprogrammable MCU (directly via USB), so in theory they can update their code. But Sony might just block the on-fly patching it does altogether and disable it.

Supporting games with higher FW requirements is probably a thing the Backup Loader should be able to manage, so it's not something that directly depends from the Dongle, on that side.

So, in theory, you could be fine for quite some time without the need of updating your PS3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?