Hacking [Proof-Of-Concept] N3dES

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Contrary to what you might think, I'm not actually against you or this project. I'm just pointing out some glaringly obvious negative points.
I do, however, have some suggestions for you:

1) Utilize server-side redirects:
Your host has given you the power of PHP, use it! Instead of using a messy JavaScript redirect that looks suspicious, use something like this:
Code:

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great work , hopefully after the new fw update they will update the browser
so can this be used to play the roms in 3d?
we can view mpo files in 3d with the browser so maybe you can as you say do the processing remotely and we can have 3d nes emulation

also how do we use this to play comercial roms?

i can only get this to work at like .20 fps
and i have a linksys/cisco e3000 n router and cable ,and full bars

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Proof of Concept means, "It can be done, but it might not actually be useful at this moment." Having a good connection won't make it faster. He explained that there's limits..

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes i know but he said it ran at 1 fps ,,and its funny the one that said it was slow ran faster or about the same as the nyan nyan cat demo that said it ran faster
the 3ds browser is crap anyways, lets hop they update it soon ,if not in the nov 4 fw update then maybe the next one ,the browser is a disgrace ,they should have gave us flash, but then again maybe they though that someone would try something like this and thats why they left it out

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
great work , hopefully after the new fw update they will update the browser
so can this be used to play the roms in 3d?
we can view mpo files in 3d with the browser so maybe you can as you say do the processing remotely and we can have 3d nes emulation

also how do we use this to play comercial roms?
No, No, No and No.
Proof of Concept means, "It can be done, but it might not actually be useful at this moment." Having a good connection won't make it faster. He explained that there's limits..
After the webpage and ROM are downloaded to your 3DS, the rest of the processing takes place there. It's only slow because the 3DS browser is a rather horrific piece of trash which really drags the rest of the unit down. And while yes, this is a proof of concept, it's also likely to remain as the only working example for that reason.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
yeah but if they did upgrade the browser to support flash then it may be possible to make a 3d nes emulator,
and if they let people run custom code, it'd be possible to make a 3D anything.

Hypothetical statements help no one.
Ironically, Flash provides the only scenario where even custom code makes 3D graphics out of the question. Adobe have nothing to gain from adding APIs to support the 3DS's 3D.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
someone smart could find a different way,and ,not use an api at all,, or design there own, id that part of it is opensource, but im not sure ,maybe you know?
there is always more than 1 way to do things, i think ,it wouldnt have to be true 3d it could be a sort of emulated 3d effect,

maybe if they used an input api for the game control and had it sent back to another location,where it would be processed and then only video is sent back of the pre processed game,the game emulation and the 3d could be processed elsewhere api sends the control input one way, the video is sent back, the browser would need to work at a decnt speed though

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
someone smart could find a different way,and ,not use an api at all,, or design there own, id that part of it is opensource, but im not sure ,maybe you know?
there is always more than 1 way to do things, i think ,it wouldnt have to be true 3d it could be a sort of emulated 3d effect,
It would also be not-Flash. There are other viable ways of outputting 3D on the 3DS via a browser update, such as WebGL or Java (yeah this one is gonna run badly). Everything would just be easier if Nintendo took Sony's easy-development idea, and made it possible for any user to write (approvable?) code through a SDK.

Back on topic, there is scope for a page like this, but I don't see it taking off properly any time soon.

Critica1

Trophies
Website
www.onehitgamer.com
XP
Country
United States
@Totalnoob617, this is a working concept that can't further be improved without allocating more power when the 3DS browser is in use. Meaning without a full-system exploit, this is just another dead end for the time being.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes i know i am just hoping the browser will get an update , and not just for this, but obviously id like to be able to use youtube and other flash related content with the 3ds browser
i dont think that its out of the question that they would update the browser

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so after looking at the replies since I left to go rest for the night there is actually 1 benefit of having flash, if Nintendo added flash, that is.

The benefit would be that the way Ben Firshman coded JSNES he used SWFs to play sound, so if flash support was added sound would be possible. Although I don't think sound would be very useful or great running at 0.20-0.30 FPS but if Nintendo did add flash I would imagine they'd need to allow the browser to use more power, which would likely increase the speed. But from what I've heard Nintendo is against flash for handheld gaming devices, or they were months ago, but adding flash (again, if they did) would likely allow the use of sound in this emulator unless they limited it so much it wouldn't even be funny anymore.

I was looking through the javascript files and this is protected under GPLv3, which means I must distribute my source. I'll add links to my source soon. I guess that is not such a bad thing though because everyone can help improve it. Perhaps someone will make a screenshot function (as *.jpg which is allowed to dl by 3DS Browser) or something. (to give ideas)

After some testing I found the (expermental) button UP probably does work but not very well.

I'm adding updated pics now.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been moving to a new host for N3dES. Now the URL is slightly shorter/easier to write on the 3DS too.

n3des.byethost6.com

EDIT: Host was having some troubles with running the emulator. Now the problems should be fixed.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice job, but viewing it on non-3DS stuff say "Not can find using a 3DS.". Just saying that's pretty damn bad grammar, you might want to change it to something like "You must use a 3DS to view this webpage." or the like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol