Homebrew programming on ds/3ds?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,847
  • Replies 33

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh? Sounds convenient, however it probably required some form of server running in the background or internet connectivity seeing that QR codes don't store a lot of data. Still, it's a solution, at least. :D
Well, the code itself can be made into a QR code and exported with the DSiware itself, and can be scanned by other DSis, as a way to share your work. No form of any kind of server is involved, you can even scan it successfully when the DSi is disconnected from the internet.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, the code itself can be made into a QR code and exported with the DSiware itself, and can be scanned by other DSis, as a way to share your work. No form of any kind of server is involved, you can even scan it successfully when the DSi is disconnected from the internet.
There has to be a severe limitation of size then, a QR code can store up to 3kB (177x177 dots). That doesn't sound all that convenient unless the code just initializes file transmission via WiFi/NiFi. I wouldn't know, I'm not familiar with the application.

Reactions: Jwiz33

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There has to be a severe limitation of size then, a QR code can store up to 3kB (177x177 dots). That doesn't sound all that convenient unless the code just initializes file transmission via WiFi/NiFi. I wouldn't know, I'm not familiar with the application.
Programs came in tons of QR codes that you had to scan one after another.
IIRC some Megaman adaptation required more than 200 QR codes to be scanned.

Reactions: marc00077 and Foxi4

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It was my understanding that he doesn't want to use a phone, he wants to code on the console. Neither the DS nor the 3DS have Bluetooth or a USB port, so no, you can't connect anything to them.

Oh, I misunderstood, I thought with touchscreen you were referring to the hypothetical phone I was talking about.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Programs came in tons of QR codes that you had to scan one after another.
IIRC some Megaman adaptation required more than 200 QR codes to be scanned.
That... Sounds awful. :P Like a blast from the past - it's digitalized punch cards, except you can't stack them and you have to snap each and every one manually. :D

Reactions: mattycfp and Jwiz33

marc00077

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
That... Sounds awful. :P Like a blast from the past - it's digitalized punch cards, except you can't stack them and you have to snap each and every one manually. :D
It wasn't that bad IMO. I really enjoyed petitcomputer on my DSi some years ago, and most of the simple programs/games were only a bunch of QR's that didn't take more than 10 seconds to scan. I did scan megaman once and it just deserved the time spent, it was a professional well ended port, the ingame experience was better than many games on the DSiware, and if you had friends with petitcomputer you could transfer them the games you scanned. Btw I don't think there were more than a very few projects that had that amount of QR's to scan.

D

Deleted User

OP
This is actually will be a good reference to look to when I need help in LUA, thanks!

:blink: Why?

because it isnt as convenient as c or c#. I always forget how much "end"s I need to write.

Deal with it man, you are asking for things that wouldn't require a PC to compile them.
If you suggested using smilebasic you are in no position to bad mouth Lua.

PS: Dsgamemaker requires a PC.

whats so bad about smilebasic? It sounds very cool!
BTW I linked to a program made by dsgamemaker, not dsgm itself. that program allowed you to code on the dslite itself, making xds files.

and everybody who recommended me to buy a notebook- I have one (thinkpad R60) already, I just cant use it. parents dont allow me to use it...
no point of buying one more...

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I learned how to programme in C by writing software directly on a Palm Vx PDA while working behind the till at a petrol station. If I remember correctly, I wrote the code in the built in memo app and the compiler then built it into a Palm app directly on the device. It was pretty laborious, but great fun too and I definitely got a kick out of writing, compiling and running the software on such a small device.

marc00077

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
because it isnt as convenient as c or c#. I always forget how much "end"s I need to write.

whats so bad about smilebasic? It sounds very cool!
BTW I linked to a program made by dsgamemaker, not dsgm itself. that program allowed you to code on the dslite itself, making xds files.

and everybody who recommended me to buy a notebook- I have one (thinkpad R60) already, I just cant use it. parents dont allow me to use it...
no point of buying one more...

If you're on 9.9 and without PC, LUA + a 3ds text editor is your only choice. It might be less convenient than C but it also is less convenient not to have a computer to code with, so deal with it B-). Smilebasic Petit computer IS cool for learning (performance and memory are crappy compared to what the lua interpreter can give you) but you can't even get it anymore.

Last edited by marc00077,
D

Deleted User

OP
If you're on 9.9 and without PC, LUA + a 3ds text editor is your only choice. It might be less convenient than C but it also is less convenient not to have a computer to code with, so deal with it B-). Smilebasic IS cool for learning (performance and memory are crappy compared to what the lua interpreter can give you) but you can't even get it anymore.

is there a file manager/text editor for 3ds? link pls

ps. I think that smile basic never came out in non japan regions, but the team says its gonna be soon

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you were so inclined there are a few runtimes for things on the DS ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/attempting-to-list-all-programming-languages-available-for-the-ds.357792/ contains a lot), also a few DLDI text editors (not sure what the best one ended up as because I mainly has DS linux going on when I needed such things). Combined you could get a lot done, give or take the keyboard entry by stylus thing.

After that you are looking at stuff like https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-ds-assembly-inerpreter.345384/

With all this said there has to be a better way for you to get some active programming experience on the go. Even the cheapest and nastiest android tablet should have some kind of proto interpreter/programming quiz type thing on it.

marc00077

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
is there a file manager/text editor for 3ds? link pls

ps. I think that smile basic never came out in non japan regions, but the team says its gonna be soon
There are file managers. I know two of them, and I knew they supported .txt files so I assumed that they could also edit them but i was wrong.
There's one in sunshell and another thats called ctxplorer or something like that, both allow you to view them, but none allows to edit them sadly ;(
So the only thing that I can't think of without a computer is writing lua on a phone and transfering it to 3ds with ftp, wich should be insanely awfull.

I was refering to petit computer (the DSi one), my bad, and it was available for buying on eshop some time ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay