[PPOTW] What is the best video game genre?

[PPOTW] What is the best video game genre?

• Action/Adventure

Votes: 127 24.3%
  • Beat Em Up

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • First Person Shooter

Votes: 18 3.4%
  • JRPG

Votes: 169 32.4%
  • MMO

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Platform

Votes: 57 10.9%
  • Puzzle

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • RTS

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sandbox

Votes: 15 2.9%
  • Simulation - Flying/Racing/Sports/Life etc.

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Survival Horror

Votes: 17 3.3%
  • Third Person Shooter

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • WRPG

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 34 6.5%

• Total voters

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think MMO's are the best, because MMO just means Massive/ly multiplayer online... soo any of the other Genres can be tied onto it, Games are more fun with friends after all.
But yeah, stupid poll, but what did I expect?

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Feel free to try and simulate Ni No Kuni in Excel, on paper or a calculator. If you can, then you can use your shit argument for any game/genre.

I bring to your attention the TI-Nspire CX CAS. An powerful graphing calculator with a 320x240p color LCD screen, 64 mb of RAM, a 150 MHz ARM processor, and 100mb of flash storage. It's capable of running a fully-fledged port of Doom and GBC emulators. Your argument is invalid.

TI-nspire_CX_CAS.jpg

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bring to your attention the TI-Nspire CX CAS. An powerful graphing calculator with a 320x240p color LCD screen, 64 mb of RAM, a 150 MHz ARM processor, and 100mb of flash storage. It's capable of running a fully-fledged port of Doom and GBC emulators. Your argument is invalid.

I don't get what point you're trying to make here.:unsure:

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is kinda like asking what the best colour is.
It's a lot safer just to ask what peoples favorites are.

My favorite is jRPG. I enjoy stories above all else and that's what a majority of jRPGs focus on and excel at.

But really I enjoy a little of every genre. But i'm one of those people that loves anything with proper RPG elements. I just enjoy that progressive feeling.

Reactions: Foxi4

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

...so are you just going to completely change the topic? That's how you work? Gotcha. Drop one thought and go right onto the next as soon as someone says your argument is shit.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They differ significantly. WRPGs tend to be open-world and allow for more player-choice than JRPGs. WRPGs are usually real-time and often emphasizes immersion. JRPGs tend to be more linear and story-driven. They tend to be turn-based and push players into an already-established role.

I personally prefer WRPGs. I haven't played a single JRPG which couldn't have been simulated by an Excel spreadsheet, some grid paper, and a scientific calculator.

Weeaboo name
Anti-japanese opinion.

Are you attempting to crash the universe?

I have so much more to say but your horrid attempt at a joke hardly qualifies for a response...at least any more than it has gotten.

Reactions: KingVamp

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It appears that people on here like a variety of games, but the first person shooters are a minority. Just pointing that out.
I can't help but feel this poll is amazingly flawed. There is no particular genre which best represents gaeming and I would tell that to a non-gaemer.
Exactly. I love JRPG's, but I love the action and adventure in them. That's why I love grinding so much. It's not challenging, technically, but that's what makes it easy to grind. If it were challenging like puzzle games, then I'd hate JRPG's. (I like Monopoly on the Wii; that's cool...)

...so are you just going to completely change the topic? That's how you work? Gotcha. Drop one thought and go right onto the next as soon as someone says your argument is shit.
Dude, your avatar. What gives?

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

...just how bored are you? Why do you always feel the need to flame me without attempting to target the topic itself? You didn't even provide evidence of how I "completely" dropped the topic. The previous poster said I couldn't simulate the gameplay of Ni No Kuni on a calculator. I provided a calculator capable of running a real-time game. Maybe read the entire thread next time? If you're going to flame me every time you find me on the forum, at least make your flames interesting. Have a nice day. :lol:

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...just how bored are you? Why do you always feel the need to flame me without attempting to target the topic itself? You didn't even provide evidence of how I "completely" dropped the topic. The previous poster said I couldn't simulate the gameplay of Ni No Kuni on a calculator. I provided a calculator capable of running a real-time game. Maybe read the entire thread next time? If you're going to flame me every time you find me on the forum, at least make your flames interesting. Have a nice day. :lol:

Hey, attention is good. But you getting attention because someone's flaming you isn't exactly desirable. :) And I wondered why you posted a picture of a calculator... (I like how you say he feels the need to flame you whenever he sees you on the forum. :D That's so awesome...)
>JRPGs
>winning

I knew GBAtemp had bad taste but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

(puzzle game master race)

Y... y... you *waggles finger offensively* And JRPG's are full of action and definitely adventure (which is what I voted for since I like action/adventure games; JRPG's just have a good balance of them.)

And it's better than having a bunch of CoD retards on here. (No offense, CoD: MW2 Wii clan)

Reactions: the_randomizer

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
RPG's really, that's what the biggest stereotype of games is (living in an other world, escaping reality, imagining you're a powerful knight in some fantasy world) .
I picked WRPG's because I like those more than JRPG's.

xThrice

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
socialmediabar.com
XP
Country
Greece
In our gaming era of next gen consoles and online gaming most "new" gamers or non-gamers that are joining the gaming world would probably say that if you cant play online then you suck....so moba is the best genre at the moment or micro transaction games as they are all the rage nowadays i mean who hasnt spent some money on some card trading game or even a browser game.

My Favourite is still jrpg but thats just me and everyone deserves to have his own opinion.
Hopefully we see more from indie gaming industries and also i would like a revamp on the star ocean series x)
Cheers!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so moba is the best genre at the moment or micro transaction games as they are all the rage nowadays i mean who hasnt spent some money on some card trading game or even a browser game.

*raises hand*
If I can not invest a reasonable amount of time and beat the game I usually turn around and dub it pay to win and then write it off with the next breath.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Kirito-kun Tried 'The World Ends with You'?
How about Xenoblade Chronicles?
Ever heard of Monster Hunter?
Or even Final Fantasy:Crysis Core for something more Japanese?
I'd really like to see you run Kingdom Hearts 3D on that calculator.
I think I've proven my point.

Btw, I find it kinda funny how much against the genre of the game your username/avatar comes from. Yeah, I know the game based on the anime, but, still, it's kinda ironic.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Games are ultimately about escapism, killing time in between more important matters in life. Since I've killed the most time in the Final Fantasy series, by definition it did the job of gaming in general the best, it's a series of JRPG's, therefore it's the best genre.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
>JRPGs
>winning

I knew GBAtemp had bad taste but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

They differ significantly. WRPGs tend to be open-world and allow for more player-choice than JRPGs. WRPGs are usually real-time and often emphasizes immersion. JRPGs tend to be more linear and story-driven. They tend to be turn-based and push players into an already-established role.

I personally prefer WRPGs. I haven't played a single JRPG which couldn't have been simulated by an Excel spreadsheet, some grid paper, and a scientific calculator.
Diffferences in style and overall execution don't necessarily lead to differences in the essence. RPG is the "mother-genre" which encompasses sub-genres such as JRPG, SRPG, WRPG and so on and so forth.

JRPG and WRPG are not separate genres, they're separate sub-genres, however both refer to role-playing games, meaning RPG's. Similarly you have Sitcoms and Sketches, but at the end of the day they're just types of comedy which is a bigger, broader, more general entity.

As for the whole pen-and-paper plus calculator "point", I'd like to remind you that all RPG's are descendants of RPG's played on "spreadsheets". You may think that, say, "Fallout: New Vegas" is entirely real-time, but the truth of the matter is that each character has a number of stats which determine their strengths as well as action points which determine their turn, all set within the S.P.E.C.I.A.L system.

Your point is valid, but goes far beyond JRPG's - it refers to video games in general which are governed by maths, especially RPG's, even if their surface doesn't give it away
The World Ends with You'?
"Monster Hunter" is not a JRPG.

As for "Xenoblade Yawnicles", I am so not opening that can of worms again. :rofl2:

Reactions: Gahars

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kirito-kun Tried 'The World Ends with You'?
I think I've proven my point.

Btw, I find it kinda funny how much against the genre of the game your username/avatar comes from. Yeah, I know the game based on the anime, but, still, it's kinda ironic.

Maybe not on the Nspire CX, but there is a calculator capable of running said games. The HP Prime graphing calculator. It has a 3.5in 240p LCD-TFT multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, a 400 MHz ARM processor, 32 MB of RAM, and 256 MB of flash storage. It's capable of 3D graphing and is more powerful than the 3DS in terms of CPU power.

201304241653047377.jpg

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe not on the Nspire CX, but there is a calculator capable of running said games. The HP Prime graphing calculator. It has a 3.5in 240p LCD-TFT multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, a 400 MHz ARM processor, 32 MB of RAM, and 256 MB of flash storage. It's capable of 3D graphing and is more powerful than the 3DS in terms of CPU power.

Durr hurr, calculators have CPUs so you can play games on them so I'm technically right about one genre being able to be simulated on calculators even though at this point you're basically just playing a computer game that has nothing to do with math.

Go home, you're drunk.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol