The problem with the Final Fantasy Franchise

GAPMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all of Nomura's faults, he is a pretty decent designer but I sort of agree. I think that they should bring back Amano even if it is for one game.

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't the main problem with Final Fantasy that there are over 9000 of them? Or is that just semantics?

I don't think that should be a problem since they just release 1 every 10 years or so these days.

They used to be able to release games every other years for some time, and those are probably the most beloved in the franchise.

Again, they spend too much time and effort on making a flashy action game with pretty graphics, instead of making a good Final Fantasy story with classic RPG gameplay.

It's almost like they are creating a new IP with every new Final Fantasy game these days in terms of the development process and the departure from traditions.
And they try to make these games the most visually pretty games from Japan.

No wonder it takes so much time when you try to reinvent the wheel every time you build a new car.

They have a functional formula for making a good Final Fantasy, yet they choose to let that formula sit there and collect dust even after at least half of their fanbase has said bye bye.

GAPMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 era really messed Square Enix up. While I do enjoy the FFXIII-FFXV now, I really wish that Square Enix got their acts together during that time.

Reactions: DaniPoo

Dooz

Dolor Æterna
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Djibouti
The character designs have become far too formulaic, stale and clean. It almost even seems like they design the characters before designing the world they're supposed to belong to, so they kind of pop in a way that doesn't make sense.

I would LOVE if they made a AAA game in the style of Yoshitaka Amano's older Final Fantasy illustrations.

But they're never gonna do that. They're going to keep churning out the same tired, cookie cutter designs even as sales drop, and eventually people will stop giving their hopes up that the next game will be any different.

I like the idea behind Nomura's design philosophy -- in that fantasy shouldn't just be swords and shields -- but just because his idea is good doesn't mean that his execution is good, and I think that his designs suck. Kingdom Hearts was the kicker of really lame design.

But I also never got into anime so that's a bit of an issue.

In terms of the series as a whole, I am glad that they try new things with the gameplay but the majority has not clicked for me since VII, and revisiting that game makes me appreciate it less -- as I've grown older and scrutinized the story and character development more. I liked XV despite the flaws but I still quit playing just before the last area.

I'm apprehensively looking forward to FFXVI but I don't trust anything out of Square Enix without looking at some long-form gameplay videos.

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I like the idea behind Nomura's design philosophy -- in that fantasy shouldn't just be swords and shields -- but just because his idea is good doesn't mean that his execution is good, and I think that his designs suck. Kingdom Hearts was the kicker of really lame design.

But I also never got into anime so that's a bit of an issue.

In terms of the series as a whole, I am glad that they try new things with the gameplay but the majority has not clicked for me since VII, and revisiting that game makes me appreciate it less -- as I've grown older and scrutinized the story and character development more. I liked XV despite the flaws but I still quit playing just before the last area.

I'm apprehensively looking forward to FFXVI but I don't trust anything out of Square Enix without looking at some long-form gameplay videos.

You quit playing FFXV before the last area? The easiest and shortest final fantasy game of all time?

Oh well, I completed the game 100%, got the platinum trophy.
But I didn't bother doing the same with the DLC's.

There is a certain charm to the game, I like the roadtrip idea, but it feels very incomplete. (even after all the updates and DLC's added)

Like I wish the game had a better magic system, It's actually more tedious for me obtaining magic in FFXV than drawing magic in FFVIII.. And then (friendly fire allowed)... And the magic covers too big of an area. It's just chaos..

And summon system... There's like four of them. Sure they are powerful... And they look cool.. But they feel like completely random. I don't feel like I summon them, I feel like they just show up whenever they feel like it.
No control..

It's not like they need to go full FFX where summons are treated similarly to normal characters...
But being able to choose when to summon or not would be nice.

They could have restricted it somehow so that Noctis can only summon once ever 24h (in game) or something. And then he need to gather the power to do it again.
But at least then we can strategise a bit around it.

The growth system is decent, but I don't get the feeling that I am getting any stronger from gaining levels. there's no "Oomph" in gaining a level, with this one it sort of feels like the level system is unnecessary. they could have just went with AP and equipment I think.

I could go on talking about fundamental flaws about the game. But I feel like I have barked enough.

I am just disappointed, because I like the idea behind the story and the characters, and even that they tried embracing exploration more.

It's just too bad the actual implementation sucks so much

Last edited by DaniPoo,

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
"The problem with the Final Fantasy Franchise"

"You mean the problem that it still exists?"
I really don’t see any problem with the franchise existing if they would just start treating it with some love and respect.

Right now that treat it as a playground for experimenting.

Too bad Forespoken was such a flop, they could use some new IP’s that they can experiment with without upsetting people.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imo, I think the problem is that with games like dragon quest ot tales of, you know what you're getting. The games haven't changed much. However, with final fantasy, you don't know what you're getting. The game could be good or shit.

I remember Miyamoto once saying that the mark of a good game in an established franchise is that the player should be able to tell what series it's from. I don't see that with final fantasy, because each game is so radically different.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Imo, I think the problem is that with games like dragon quest ot tales of, you know what you're getting. The games haven't changed much. However, with final fantasy, you don't know what you're getting. The game could be good or shit.

I remember Miyamoto once saying that the mark of a good game in an established franchise is that the player should be able to tell what series it's from. I don't see that with final fantasy, because each game is so radically different.
I was just about to post that the problem with Final Fantasy is that it's not Dragon Quest but you pretty much said already everything I was gonna say lol.

Reactions: godreborn

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I gotta say that is such a low bar for a good game in an established franchise

Like seriously the game has to be insanely bad for you to not be able to tell what series it's from

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta say that is such a low bar for a good game in an established franchise

Like seriously the game has to be insanely bad for you to not be able to tell what series it's from
That's why I made the comparison with final fantasy. The series is now westernized.

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto