Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy keeping my desktop clean and I LOVE the elementary OS look (however Pantheon doesn't run on Arch, and i'm not really into using 0.3 again) so i tried to get close.
I'm happy with how it looks right now.
I've gotten Pantheon working on Arch before. The main issue issue used to be Cerbere, but that was back in the Isis alpha days. Now that Luma has matured, it's fairly easy. Just takes a little time.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon#Installation

Though, when it comes to Arch, I typically avoid DEs entirely since I gain a huge sense of self satisfaction by configuring a standalone WM and panel from scratch. I guess I'm just that pretentious.

Nic333

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've gotten Pantheon working on Arch before. The main issue issue used to be Cerbere, but that was back in the Isis alpha days. Now that Luma has matured, it's fairly easy. Just takes a little time.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon#Installation

Though, when it comes to Arch, I typically avoid DEs entirely since I gain a huge sense of self satisfaction by configuring a standalone WM and panel from scratch. I guess I'm just that pretentious.
I tried a while ago and...
It worked and at the same time it didn't.
Gala was broken so window controls didn't work, Slingshot only worked when it wanted to, and i wasn't able to change my wallpaper.
However, considering that all the AUR packages of Pantheon are from the development branch, and a lot of changes have been happening right now (a 0.4 beta is coming soon) things are changing really quick, so most of the old-patches that were used are clearly broken.
Using Pantheon on Arch should stabilize by the release of 0.4, but right now it's not really usable.
And about using a WM, it's not something i want to try right now.
I might do that in the future, but not right now.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
And about using a WM, it's not something i want to try right now.
I might do that in the future, but not right now.
Openbox is stupid easy to setup. You can find RCs all over Github and other online sources. Fluxbox, icewm, scrotwm, and dwm are also fairly nice (dwm being a prime choice for developers).

xy2_

Trophies
XP
Country
France
J5vyt1Z.png

Unfortunately still a Windows 7 user, I'm planning to switch soon to a distro. Kept it for Hourglass functionality (finnicky Windows emulator that only runs well on 7/XP).

Last edited by xy2_,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
@Crystal the Glaceon likes to do:

- post images of her desktop
- find a new Linux disto
- install that Linux disto
- find a new Linux disto
repeat 4 ever

so yeah Crystal you are now on fedora.

Last edited by Flame,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@Crystal the Glaceon like to do:

- find a new Linux disto
- find a new Linux disto
repeat 4 ever

so yeah Crystal you are now on fedora.
I love testing distros out and showing off the work I do with them, but most of my testing has been trying to find that one distro that reminded me best of Fedora 10-14.
The closest to that were Sabayon, Chakra OS, and Manjaro. But Chakra OS switched to KDE5, which is super resource heavy so I had random freezes because it ate up my RAM. Porting the games I did enjoy on Linux was a pain with Sabayon, as I found working working with Gentoo's annoying Flag system to be way more complicated than it needed. And Manjaro often went for far long periods of time without updates, and they can't even keep up to date on their security certificate for their site, so I worry about the future of that project.
So all that was left, was to just go back Fedora and see if they made up for the shit release from 15 to 18 (which were the last ones I tested and they sucked.)
Turns out Fedora 23 actually got it's shit together. I no longer suffer from driver issues on my AMD card, the software is back to being stable and update to date, and it looks more they've brought back focus on Desktop vs overly cutting-edge.
I might actually stick with Fedora this time...unless Fedora 24 sucks.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
:rofl2:

I think he uses so many window managers, that he doesn't know what he's using right now (like me) :P
It looks like KDE4 to me :D

Edit: okay, I'm blind a.f. :P Konsole, KDE logo in the topleft corner, it's definitely KDE... I was looking at the window decoration :rofl2:

Last edited by Sono,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kjIXjGzImE