Homebrew Possible nag screen remover homebrew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneGrenade

IT Technician/Rookie Coder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IIRC they will be stored as titles waiting for update finalization, when their data is imported in title.db

All this in nand of course.
I should've done more research, it was late when I made the thread.

The system updates aren't stored in the NAND extdata. They're stored somewhere in the NAND in the NCSD format. I'll request the thread to be closed if nobody sees any use for it.

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/NCSD

StealthSock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that formatting with 3 fake wifi connection presets gets rid of the nag screen without updating the FW, but you lose all your eShop software, saves, and streetpass progress in the process. You can't get on the eShop to redownload because you haven't updated. I was only able to take advantage of this because I have a system with nothing from the eShop, very little Streetpass progress, and no saves on the system. It's probably not for you. It's not for me either on my main XL.

To prevent the nag from coming back, I have my 2DS' wifi off entirely. In the unlikely event that one of my neighbors sets up an open security Homepass, I still would not get the nag.

Edit: This may have only worked because I have never linked a NNID to that system before.

LoneGrenade

IT Technician/Rookie Coder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I have some eshop purchases that I'm not willing to part with just yet. I guess I'll have to wait and see if gateway comes up with a solution. I haven't bought one yet as I don't see the point on a 9.2 without them releasing the update.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Formatting the system requires you to update i've read somewhere

Actually formatting requires an internet connection because it has to unlink the NNID first. If the console was never linked to an NNID account, then fake wifi access points can be used instead. (this is why you never see this issue on a 3DS on 4.5 firmware, because NNID linking did not exist when this version of firmware was released, so those users never needed an internet connection to format)

However it is IMPOSSIBLE to format without unlinking a NNID if one has been linked at any point while using the 3DS and this REQUIRES a proper wifi connection at the time of formatting.

As for firmware updating, I heard it was just a voluntary prompt and you can cancel the update prompt and still format the system. I don't know for sure yet, but using a DNS blocking service like OpenDNS to block the update servers should allow you to format without even seeing the update prompt. I can confirm that using OpenDNS to block the servers for eShop and updates prevents eShop use and blocks any update prompts and despite that I'm still able to use PokeBank which requires logging into to NNID account. If it's able to log into my NNID account despite most of the eShop services being blocked, then I don't see why I wouldn't be able to unlink the NNID during the format process.

I guess I won't really find out until I have a new 3DS console to do a system transfer to, because I will not be formatting my 3DS any time soon. Really do not want to lose my friendcode which I've heard will occur even if I had emunand setup. This is due to friendcodes being reset after unlinking the NNID account.

But someone is free to correct me if I'm wrong on that part. ;)

StealthSock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never linked a NNID on the 2DS I formatted, so it was no problem there. My ninjahax and homebrew were intact after the format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny