Hacking [Poll] Bans and "send information about the console to Nintendo"

Were you banned, and did you have this option enabled?

• I have it enabled and was banned

Votes: 328 32.1%
  • I have it enabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 359 35.2%
  • I have it disabled and was banned

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • I have it disabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 281 27.5%

• Total voters

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
99% of pirates haven't bought most/all of the games that they pirated so its not a problem.
Also I just don't understand why everybody expects some way to use online on hacked system. Sony, MS, PC/Steam will not allow that and will ban your account/console forever, now Nintendo uses the same method and everybody is surprised? Just buy a clear legit system and play your original games on it if you have them.

only if they catch you cheating online and I'm all for that.
last time I checked you can still play online on CFW ps3, ps vita, psp systems just fine.

that said those that want to CHEAT online can still do it with a non-cfw 3DS so yeah. this ban nintendo is doing is pointless to say the least.

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
only if they catch you cheating online
Nope, they ban you for using modified system software, cheating has nothing to do with it. You can try to hide your CFW on ps3 but it doesn't give you 100% guarantee on ban evasion.
this ban nintendo is doing is pointless to say the least.
We have over 1000 pages of ban complains here so this ban is working exactly like its supposed to.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, they ban you for using modified system software, cheating has nothing to do with it. You can try to hide your CFW on ps3 but it doesn't give you 100% guarantee on ban evasion.

We have over 1000 pages of ban complains here so this ban is working exactly like its supposed to.

what I meant is other companies most of the time ban hackers from playing online if they actually cheat in the games, like going faster in a racing game than you're supposed to be able to.

and as I said non-cfw users can still do these kind of hacks if they so want to.
and nintendo is not stopping pirating of games here.

so with that said, then no, I do not think this online service ban thing is working as expected. yes many people are being banned but nothing is really achieved by it, except hurting those that really want the online functionality aka people that actually bought the games.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
http://imgur.com/a/5sQ35
I don't know stats math enough to do more complex stuff, but here are the results I can draw:
  • 31,5% of those with spotpass data on get banned vs 10,5% with it off
  • 28% of those with the friends option on get banned vs 11% with it off
  • 32,2% of those with both options on get banned vs 9,67% with both of them off
So it seems there's a 3x increase of the chances, and there's a large overlap between the two factors

Last edited by Aurora Wright,

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
and nintendo is not stopping pirating of games here.
At this moment they just can't stop them from pirating games, 3ds is completely exploited.
But they can and they will at least disable online for pirates, this is worth it for them because as you said:
hurting those that really want the online functionality
...for free with pirated games.
Anyway we're getting offtopic here.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
At this moment they just can't stop them from pirating games, 3ds is completely exploited.
But they can and they will at least disable online for pirates, this is worth it for them because as you said:

...for free with pirated games.
Anyway we're getting offtopic here.

I would argue that pirates that only care for a huge amount of free games would care very little if they could play online or not. but agreed we're getting of topic.

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
http://imgur.com/a/5sQ35
I don't know stats math enough to do more complex stuff, but here are the results I can draw:
  • 31,5% of those with spotpass data on get banned vs 10,5% with it off
  • 28% of those with the friends option on get banned vs 11% with it off
  • 32,2% of those with both options on get banned vs 9,67% with both of them off
So it seems there's a 3x increase of the chances, and there's a large overlap between the two factors
Interesting...
So, now what's the next move?

suzsuzuki

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How danger is using a public friend seed b?
I did sone tests with 2 3DS with public seed and:
- Play local games with each other works
- Streetpass between both 3DS works
- Online play with both works at same time

I still can use a private seed from my girlfriend as well BU I prefer to keep it from now.

But again: How danger is using a public friend seed b? Can my NNID be banned? My 3DS ID be banned? Mac address be banned?

Last edited by suzsuzuki,

resetes12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a small question: What about custom DNS? Can custom DNS have something to do about getting or not getting banned?

stormgale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had it enabled and I am not banned, though I've disabled it now in hopes it is not too late to do so lol.

Hadn't touched my DS for about a month. Booted it up and ran a system update yesterday, and today I'm still able to trade in Pokemon Sun just fine.

Will try to check at least once a day and change my vote if I do get hit with a ban.

[edit] Did not pirate any games, if that matters.

Last edited by stormgale,

Selver

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, if you connect to the online services with an out of region game it's likely, but not by playing them offline.
I think it's way easier for them to just track the spotpass info + friends list played titles (after all, they are sent every titleid of the titles you launch with the latter; this is confirmed because if you have an homebrew title, friends won't see it if you set it as your favorite, just a question mark iirc).

Are there ways or options which:
  1. delete the activity log
  2. opt-out of any further activity log generation
  3. via CFW, ensure activity log is always empty (such as at boot & after each game exit)
Granted, friends wouldn't see what you are playing, but it seems wrong to have an activity log that tracks homebrew in the first place.

valnomien

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my understanding is these are turned on by default so you have to make an effort to go into settings and turn it off just like you go to friends list and turn off sharing there also each software/game may ask you if you want to share on spotpass so doing so just counter acts you turning it off in settings just don't accept any options to turn anything on when prompted

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my understanding is these are turned on by default so you have to make an effort to go into settings and turn it off just like you go to friends list and turn off sharing there also each software/game may ask you if you want to share on spotpass so doing so just counter acts you turning it off in settings just don't accept any options to turn anything on when prompted

The effort is very minimal, it's in Internet Settings>Spotpass>Automatic sending of information. The friends list thing, the options are blasted to your face as you set it up for the first time. My case, I must've default went "Yes" on all the options, leaving the showing titles thing on and maybe not coincidentally, getting banned, as I had Spotpass disabled.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there ways or options which:
  1. delete the activity log
  2. opt-out of any further activity log generation
  3. via CFW, ensure activity log is always empty (such as at boot & after each game exit)
Granted, friends wouldn't see what you are playing, but it seems wrong to have an activity log that tracks homebrew in the first place.
Yes, yes, and Yes.... You can go into settings and turn off SpotPass options, and then go into your friends list and turn off "Show friends what I'm playing". You can also download Cthulu to manage your Activity Log.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the ban wave started I've not turned on the 3ds in hope of avoiding the ban. But the thing is, in the main guide the writer had stated "The cfw runs before the os itself and for Nintendo to ban people they would need to do it console by console" well that was incorrect wasn't it. They made out like a ban was impossible.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"if it gives you an error when accessing your Friends list, it counts as 'not enabled'". Even if we are only receiving an error when accessing friends list because we were banned? And prior to the ban had it enabled?

alpha_noj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that it's much help, but two systems at least were not banned. One had the option enabled, but has been turned off since about December (was used in a transfer and basically just sitting useless since). The other was used sporadically the past few months, but not much since the Switch released. System two was originally banned from SuMo release, and unbanned with friendcodeseed. I had to update Luma (still using A9LH, may update but meh for now) but was then able to access friend list and go online in MHGen, FW11.2 as I never felt the need to update the last two nags. Since the original ban, I've had Spotpass disabled but the friend list enabled (which I recently also turned off, just in case).

I barely use it anyway, so a ban would just mean I still get to play games just no online (I barely use it anyway). And since MHXX is going to Switch, well I really don't need it now. But maybe the above info is helpful.

Selver

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, yes, and Yes.... You can go into settings and turn off SpotPass options, and then go into your friends list and turn off "Show friends what I'm playing". You can also download Cthulu to manage your Activity Log.

I've not heard of Cthulu. Does it hook or otherwise mess with the PTM service, to truly prevent activity from being logged, or does it just hide from the application called "Activity Log"?

Where exactly is the PTM file PlayHistory.dat stored?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think the Mister is cool and all, but honestly I have seen some video's exploring the...